2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

36 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Rask is the biggest primadonna in the NHL today, he cries like a Mexican soccer player I can't really compare it to anything else.  He could have done so much more to stop the play or at least try to get back in the middle of the net on the butterfly, so weak.

I think Lundqvist and Quick have him beat. lol

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like Rask slides around everywhere. He can’t seem to just move around normally. The puck goes into a vacant corner and he slides to the post for a RVH. Why? There’s no one there to shoot it. I feel like he probably slides from the locker room to the ice. A Hasek or Thomas type would have improvised to get to the middle of the goal by way of crawling or barrel roll. Rask was just pissed he couldn’t execute a perfect sliding push. 

2 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I feel like Rask slides around everywhere. He can’t seem to just move around normally. The puck goes into a vacant corner and he slides to the post for a RVH. Why? There’s no one there to shoot it. I feel like he probably slides from the locker room to the ice. A Hasek or Thomas type would have improvised to get to the middle of the goal by way of crawling or barrel roll. Rask was just pissed he couldn’t execute a perfect sliding push.  

This 100%. I LOLed at the bolded portion.

I've seen him sliding around the crease following his own team pulling back with puck possession without pressure in the defensive zone.

I have never liked the idea of a pop out blade for a goalie skate and the Rask episode reinforces that. Of course I also agree whole-heartedly that he could have done more. But then again- it’s on him that he is using such technology, as this is not the first time we have seen a shot pop one of those blades! Andersen had one pop off and I have seen a few others. By no means is it even endemic, but it is a potential for problems. 

If I do end up building my own cowling, you had better believe my blade attachment system will either be like Reebok/CCM or Vaughn with no fewer than three bolts holding  the runner onto the holder or cowling. Whilst the mechanical attchment of the older Vertexx Edge is good, multiple bolts hold better. 

Yes- I feel that the pop off blades for goalies was a solution looking for a problem; however- as a player, I would LOVE the ability to have fresh steel every period and would take the risk of losing steel in exchange for the ability to quickly change.

2 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Rask is the biggest primadonna in the NHL today, he cries like a Mexican soccer player I can't really compare it to anything else.  He could have done so much more to stop the play or at least try to get back in the middle of the net on the butterfly, so weak.

can't remember where I saw this, but love it!

tuuka.jpg

The thing that drove me crazy about the Rask play was not

a) That he clearly doesn't know the rules that specifically say that play shall not be stopped for skate malfunctions

b) That he proceeded to throw his skate blade (dangerous) and have his usual tantrum.

No, the lamest thing was that during the play, he was clearly more concerned with yelling for the ref's attention and demonstrating that he couldn't push properly than stopping the puck. He could have easily shuffled over to the center of the net on his knees, and he probably would have made that save. Instead, he insisted on demonstrating "look, I can't push, see what happens??" to the ref, over and over. At that point, he knew pushing with that skate was pointless, and yet he continued to do it because... ?

Bottom line, he prioritized being treated fairly (in his mind) over stopping the puck. And it backfired, and he looked pretty foolish.

10 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Bottom line, he prioritized being treated fairly (in his mind) over stopping the puck. And it backfired, and he looked pretty foolish.

I think that's what is bothering all of us. He was more concerned about getting a whistle over competing.

I think almost any one of us would try and compete till the last second. But that's also because beer league refs can never be counted on. :P

IMO, every net minder in the NHL is a baby ,whiner, Mexican soccer star. Andersen flops as bad as any premier league player, Lundqvist, quick, Holtby, Murray, flower. They all have their moments. Not defending Rask He's as bad as the rest.

No excuse for not knowing the rules though. Even if the ref said he would have blown it dead if he had realized it.

I find this funny. Rask hasn’t had a fit like this is forever. I’m actually a bit glad he’s showing some emotion again. 

As for his (over) use of the RVH and sliding, it drives me nuts as a Bruins fan. In the beginning of the season he was doing this constantly, with the puck both below and above the goal line. It was so obviously being used at wrong times, and leading to him being too deep and out of position. It was a main reason why he was sucking and why Khudobin got a bunch of starts in a row. He started to do it less and was playing great. 

If he ever starts to struggle watch for him to over use it. It’s like a crutch for him or something. 

7 hours ago, Bonesinium said:

I find this funny. Rask hasn’t had a fit like this is forever. I’m actually a bit glad he’s showing some emotion again. 

As for his (over) use of the RVH and sliding, it drives me nuts as a Bruins fan. In the beginning of the season he was doing this constantly, with the puck both below and above the goal line. It was so obviously being used at wrong times, and leading to him being too deep and out of position. It was a main reason why he was sucking and why Khudobin got a bunch of starts in a row. He started to do it less and was playing great. 

If he ever starts to struggle watch for him to over use it. It’s like a crutch for him or something. 

I did just start goal tending in March of this year,  but I can't slide to save my effing life! Hence, I under use slides - but if you were to watch me I only struggle when I'm on the ice (which is an improvement) so at least i don't have an obvious tell like Rask.

So yeah, if he starts to struggle, I'll be watching closely; I need to learn the "how" before I can worry about the "when to use."  :rofl:

11 hours ago, Bonesinium said:

When he starts chasing the puck on his knees like that it gets ugly, he'll stop getting up, setting his edges and getting square and instead rely purely on his timing.  Not a great recipe for success with NHL shooters.  He's like a different goalie when he settles things down and waits for the puck to come to him.

Rulebook states that "play shall not be stopped nor the game delayed by reasons of adjustments to clothing, equipment, skates or sticks ". Which is an odd rule because there are grey areas like up until recently the play will be stopped if a mask fell off but not for a goalie's stick came out of his hand or his blocker/glove would come off.

Anyway, can't blame Rask for being upset. He likely didn't know this rule and I'd bank many other goalies didn't or don't know this either. I say leave 'em alone.

16 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

Rulebook states that "play shall not be stopped nor the game delayed by reasons of adjustments to clothing, equipment, skates or sticks ". Which is an odd rule because there are grey areas like up until recently the play will be stopped if a mask fell off but not for a goalie's stick came out of his hand or his blocker/glove would come off.

Anyway, can't blame Rask for being upset. He likely didn't know this rule and I'd bank many other goalies didn't or don't know this either. I say leave 'em alone.

He deserves to be criticized for prioritizing getting a whistle over stopping the puck. Regardless of whether he knew the rules or not, you'd like to see him attempt to make the save, rather than demonstrating again and again that he can't push with his skate. If he wasn't too busy trying to get the refs attention and showing that he couldn't push, he could have easily shuffled over to the middle of the net on his knees, and he probably would have made a save.

It's akin to letting someone score on you because your'e too busy yelling at the ref that the play is offside. Do everything you can to stop the puck and get a whistle, and then you can plead your case and yell at the ref all you want. It was bad judgement on his part, even if you cut him slack for not knowing the rules (and I do).

On 5/1/2018 at 7:38 PM, stackem30 said:

He deserves to be criticized for prioritizing getting a whistle over stopping the puck. Regardless of whether he knew the rules or not, you'd like to see him attempt to make the save, rather than demonstrating again and again that he can't push with his skate. If he wasn't too busy trying to get the refs attention and showing that he couldn't push, he could have easily shuffled over to the middle of the net on his knees, and he probably would have made a save.

It's akin to letting someone score on you because your'e too busy yelling at the ref that the play is offside. Do everything you can to stop the puck and get a whistle, and then you can plead your case and yell at the ref all you want. It was bad judgement on his part, even if you cut him slack for not knowing the rules (and I do).

Completely agree. He let his team down big time with that one. Even worse he's VERY lucky he got away with throwing his runner. If I had been in stripes I would have given him a 10 without hesitation. 

21 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Completely agree. He let his team down big time with that one. Even worse he's VERY lucky he got away with throwing his runner. If I had been in stripes I would have given him a 10 without hesitation. 

No kidding! That was a dangerous and dick move! He really could have hurt someone with the runner!

Archived