2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

On 8/4/2017 at 6:39 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Oh look, Hank has another shitty mask.  Its a shame such an ugly mask is going to be worn with those gorgeous 2S pads.

This is what I don't get either!?! Hank has killer style (both on and off the ice, dudes clothes/cars kick some ass), but the masks DaveArt does for him look like some low-rent sci-fi fantasy. Totally incongruous with the rest of his look.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

This is what I don't get either!?! Hank has killer style (both on and off the ice, dudes clothes/cars kick some ass), but the masks DaveArt does for him look like some low-rent sci-fi fantasy. Totally incongruous with the rest of his look.

Agreed.  I will totally admit that Gunnarson has some amazing talent but in my opinion man do his masks just suck.  Just way too much going on.  If I was a pro I would definitely real him in with my mask.

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Agreed.  I will totally admit that Gunnarson has some amazing talent but in my opinion man do his masks just suck.  Just way too much going on.  If I was a pro I would definitely real him in with my mask.

This x 100, the new Rinne mask is a prime example - just looks like a mess

5 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

While I definitely agree the description on the webpage sounds like this is the case, and I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I'll take the word from Dom himself over some guy on IG who claims to be an assistant.  I had this conversation with Dom before I knew about this new mask or else I would have asked him to clarify on this one as well.  By all means send him an email and ask him to confirm this new mask.

I've reached out a few times and haven't heard anything back 

when did you last speak with him about the masks?

Also curious about the NHL regulations for goalie masks. As pointed out in @TheGoalNet's piece about the NHL pro CCM masks, Lefevre decided to remove the second ear vent hole because of an NHL rule that you cannot see the backplate through the ear holes. To me, that doesn't sound like it would help safety in any way, so I'm curious who's making the rules.

I recall that when Hiller first switched to the Maltese/Unequal padding combo in his Airxess mask, it was to ensure it passed NHL regulations (side note: makes one wonder about the quality of the mask then...). To this point, I don't understand how someone like Scott Darling can get away with a couple millimetre thick cheek/ear padding in his Bauer 961 (just like Corey Hirsch's Itech from the '90's) while Hiller needed all that padding? Are the NHL goalie mask "rules" more like guidelines than set in stone regulations?

ScottDarlingBauer961.jpg.f2059e611ef256698753a8bdfab9ba2c.jpgCoreyHirschMask2.jpg.c988be672efb036dcc1e252d36962fb8.jpg

I also recall that possibly Craig Anderson switched to Pro's Choice because he didn't think his Dillon mask would pass the regulations. It seems like these rules are in part set out by the big brand(s) to push out the smaller ones, namely Bauer who packs a tonne of foam into a mask that according to some is constructed with inferior materials (I haven't researched it myself so I don't know, but I would not wear the NME10 that many pros use).

Just curious to see what others know or have heard on this subject.

19 hours ago, TitanG said:

Also curious about the NHL regulations for goalie masks. As pointed out in @TheGoalNet's piece about the NHL pro CCM masks, Lefevre decided to remove the second ear vent hole because of an NHL rule that you cannot see the backplate through the ear holes. To me, that doesn't sound like it would help safety in any way, so I'm curious who's making the rules.

I recall that when Hiller first switched to the Maltese/Unequal padding combo in his Airxess mask, it was to ensure it passed NHL regulations (side note: makes one wonder about the quality of the mask then...). To this point, I don't understand how someone like Scott Darling can get away with a couple millimetre thick cheek/ear padding in his Bauer 961 (just like Corey Hirsch's Itech from the '90's) while Hiller needed all that padding? Are the NHL goalie mask "rules" more like guidelines than set in stone regulations?

I also recall that possibly Craig Anderson switched to Pro's Choice because he didn't think his Dillon mask would pass the regulations. It seems like these rules are in part set out by the big brand(s) to push out the smaller ones, namely Bauer who packs a tonne of foam into a mask that according to some is constructed with inferior materials (I haven't researched it myself so I don't know, but I would not wear the NME10 that many pros use).

@Joe Messina - you might be only on here with 1st hand experience on the subject. 

Any insight you can provide?

22 hours ago, TitanG said:

I'd like to try Hiller's Maltese/Unequal padding setup one day, probably the most protective option possible.

Can someone tell what mask he uses? That seems to be a thin layup of material?

My sons mask has been set up with Maltese foam for the last year, next time I refurbish his mask I will use Maltese as the primary foam and a thinner secondary layer of what Protecsport provides on their masks. I think this will provide my sons a slightly more comfortable set up!

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

Can someone tell what mask he uses? That seems to be a thin layup of material?

My sons mask has been set up with Maltese foam for the last year, next time I refurbish his mask I will use Maltese as the primary foam and a thinner secondary layer of what Protecsport provides on their masks. I think this will provide my sons a slightly more comfortable set up!

Hiller uses the Swiss-made Airxess mask. Reto Berra also used one when he first came to the Flames from Europe but eventually switched to first a Bauer 961 and now a CCM. Not sure, but the fact that Hiller uses insane padding and Berra switched brands makes me think they might be a bit lacking in the protection department. Also, the stock Airxess masks use a tonnes of foam, especially on the top of the head so they fit strangely, from what I can tell.

RetoBerraTornadoHillerEditionMask2.jpg.2ffd8552f4d819157a05b77e0d9ea903.jpgAirxessRXSUnfinishedMasks.jpg.e04af5f7cc4d76104213733e8dd246d9.jpg

10 hours ago, TitanG said:

Hiller uses the Swiss-made Airxess mask. Reto Berra also used one when he first came to the Flames from Europe but eventually switched to first a Bauer 961 and now a CCM. Not sure, but the fact that Hiller uses insane padding and Berra switched brands makes me think they might be a bit lacking in the protection department. Also, the stock Airxess masks use a tonnes of foam, especially on the top of the head so they fit strangely, from what I can tell.

It depends on the layup as far as thickness or thinness. There are some fabrics that literally when laminated, the thickness of the built part may seem it could be crushed by hand but a 250# man could stand on it. Is it pre-preg? Is it carbon/carbon? Was it autoclaved? A thin layup is going to be acoustically loud.  The composite skin on an aircraft wing is very thin, yet withstands birds at several hundred miles per hour; that is much harder than a puck shot by an NHL-er. 

I like a lot of foam because it damps the sound. This is one reason why I stick a soft foam between strips of Maltese.

Looking at the Airxess shells, they look like they have at least two layers of carbon. There is probably a lot more than that. 

As far as switching brands, there is a plethora of reasons. One may easily be the ease of service. Reading the Airxess web site, it sounds like a nightmare to get service from them if you're a pro, and nearly unattainable if you're an amateur. 

I can't say all if this for certain, but it might not be the case that there isn't a lot of protection in the Airxess shell. 

10 hours ago, TitanG said:

Titan/Bunnyman thanks for the feedback, Carbon Fiber would not be my material of choice for a mask - Kevlar would but what do I know!

I also noticed that their very few air vents on this mask?? But looking at the shells above it is even more obvious how thin of a shell these masks have - maybe the extra foam is used to compensate for this??

2 hours ago, Big2 said:

Titan/Bunnyman thanks for the feedback, Carbon Fiber would not be my material of choice for a mask - Kevlar would but what do I know!

I also noticed that their very few air vents on this mask?? But looking at the shells above it is even more obvious how thin of a shell these masks have - maybe the extra foam is used to compensate for this??

Carbon can stiffen the layup. I only like a layer or two, myself. And the amount of foam probably helps more with acoustics than anything. 

Edit: you can hide how much is actually in a layup when autoclaving a part. You can only get so much excess epoxy when using vacuum. Again- I think Airxess uses pre-preg, which can lay up much thinner than a traditional wet layup. 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Always loved the look of these masks, but they are Unicorns. I don't know much about the company... but I would be shocked to hear that it's someone NOT doing this as a full time business. 

I would surmise that this is just one of many things this entity builds. Masks are a very part time thing, but other composites are what their bread and butter is.

30 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I would surmise that this is just one of many things this entity builds. Masks are a very part time thing, but other composites are what their bread and butter is.

Sure, exactly what I am thinking though. They are not a full time mask company. 

21 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I've reached out a few times and haven't heard anything back 

when did you last speak with him about the masks?

Last week when this conversation first started.

Edit - Nope, 2 weeks ago

19 hours ago, TitanG said:

As far as I know, Anderson switched because Dillon retired from building masks...again.

Archived