• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

When your gear pops off?

33D7993A-A39B-43E4-AF4B-950D6AA55D72.jpeg

C751D0F3-4203-446E-A469-9B969D2D03A2.jpeg

How did this happen anyhow?

I wear 1X, had two bigger guys fly into me after falling on breakaways two weeks ago. No issues, no damage luckily. One hit my right and almost took my knee out, one hit my left. At least it was symmetrical. 

3 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

How did this happen anyhow?

I wear 1X, had two bigger guys fly into me after falling on breakaways two weeks ago. No issues, no damage luckily. One hit my right and almost took my knee out, one hit my left. At least it was symmetrical. 

I know this was the result of a collision. I am guessing this was a big impact and maybe his pads are very loose? From my standpoint, I actually think this is great. The pad popping off actually might be a good thing and could have prevented a knee injury. Like a boot popping out of a ski binding? 

10 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I know this was the result of a collision. I am guessing this was a big impact and maybe his pads are very loose? From my standpoint, I actually think this is great. The pad popping off actually might be a good thing and could have prevented a knee injury. Like a boot popping out of a ski binding? 

I can see what you mean. The pad took the bulk of the blow. Kind of like how buckles snap off the helmet to relieve pressure and impact from a puck or stick whack. Still not sure how I feel about having a naked leg sitting there though.

This is why I try explaining + sizing on thigh rise to people who think we're cheating nowadays. It's to help protect the top of the knee and lower thigh in cases like that.

9 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I don't think it would have the same effect.

15 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Depends. If the pad pops off then the goalie is exposed to secondary dangers - other collisions, sticks, skates, pucks, etc. 

14 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't think it would have the same effect.

Same. I considered that, but I don't really see it. I have trouble thinking of many instances where someone's pad being stuck has caused an injury. It happens, but it's very rare, and usually fluky. I can think of a million instances where a pad becoming unfastened and popping off would be very dangerous.

I just don't see a benefit to it, and I don't think it's supposed to happen. My joke above about buckles aside, I understand that people want lightweight, easy strapping systems. But whether you want a loose or tight fit, your pad is supposed to stay securely fastened to your leg. If it's not, then it's not working properly. 

On 4/2/2018 at 10:39 AM, stackem30 said:

Same. I considered that, but I don't really see it. I have trouble thinking of many instances where someone's pad being stuck has caused an injury. It happens, but it's very rare, and usually fluky. I can think of a million instances where a pad becoming unfastened and popping off would be very dangerous.

I just don't see a benefit to it, and I don't think it's supposed to happen. My joke above about buckles aside, I understand that people want lightweight, easy strapping systems. But whether you want a loose or tight fit, your pad is supposed to stay securely fastened to your leg. If it's not, then it's not working properly. 

I had a knee injury from a collision... the guy crashed into me and my pad was tangled up with his leg/skate on impact, probably on the thigh-rise as a guess though not sure. The rest of my body was pushed back and away.  Obviously the calf usually should stay with the body so that was not good lol. I was out for 6 months with pulled MCL & ACL on that leg, and then out another 3 months in another minor collision after coming back for 2 months. The pad coming off might have helped in that particular situation, or might not.

On 4/2/2018 at 8:24 AM, stackem30 said:

"Six straps with buckles are pointless," they said. :laughat: "The extra weight will kill you," they said.

BUCKLES 4EVER

Late to the party, but what happens when those fixed straps pull at your leg and twist it weirdly? I've had a blown MCL from having no give from my straps on a collision. 
As @oncogene stated just prior to me perhaps the pad coming off or having some give might have saved me from an injury, or at the very least - reduced the extent of injury. 

Those who are pro straps always like to make fun of us being sensitive to weight - for me it was never about the weight, it's just how much elastic relieves stress on the joints. 

Really fellas, it was just a joke! I don't think buckles are inherently superior to elastic straps or anything. I just prefer them for own aesthetic and sense of security, etc.

I still maintain that purposefully designing a pad to pop off your leg would be insane. It would be incredibly dangerous; you just could not guarantee that the pad wouldn't pop right off as someone at the top of the circle winds up to crank one right at your shin, or when a guy on a breakaway gets pulled down and slides into your legs skates-first. There are just way too many pucks, sticks, and skates flying around from the knee down for me to ever feel comfortable with the idea that my leg pad might pop off if I apply pressure on a strap the wrong way. At the very least, it would result in a series of embarrassing goals that would leave a one-padded goalie fishing the puck out his net, feeling like a fool. 

I do hear what guys are saying about knee injuries from their pads getting stuck, and I think having elastic straps that could pop off easily might be a good idea there. But I'd be damn sure that there was at least one buckled strap that's going to keep my pad attached to my leg, and facing (somewhat) forward.

To me, designing a pad that pops off your leg to spare you from a potential knee injury makes about as much sense as designing a car that ejects you from the automobile because you're about to crash, and you may get whiplash from your seatbelt. You won't get whiplash from your seatbelt, but you'll be lying unprotected on the highway with a bunch of cars going 80mph. Or something. It was a good analogy when I started writing it, shut up.

On 3/25/2018 at 2:06 PM, Moose75 said:

Spencer Martin's Louis Vuitton pads pimpin' San Antonio pads. Good look at the strapping and little details.

Pictures are from John Snyder Jr's SmugMug.

03232018_SAT_IMG0514.jpg

03232018_SAT_IMG0517.jpg

Does anyone have an idea on how he would've made his cowling black? 

18 minutes ago, Dunsnd said:

Does anyone have an idea on how he would've made his cowling black? 

One of two ways:

1) a lot of free time and a few Sharpies

2) a dye of some kind. A store near me used to do Willy Wonka-type stuff where you could dye your cowlings almost any color. I wish I could remember more about the materials and solutions they used.

27 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

One of two ways:

2) a dye of some kind. A store near me used to do Willy Wonka-type stuff where you could dye your cowlings almost any color. I wish I could remember more about the materials and solutions they used.

I have had a couple buds dye their holders using the same dye used for lax heads. 

50 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

One of two ways:

21 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I have had a couple buds dye their holders using the same dye used for lax heads. 

Do you guys mean Hydo Dip? Like where a film is held in suspension etc.

Archived