2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Do you guys mean Hydo Dip? Like where a film is held in suspension etc.

Not sure, if you're really interested I can ask. 
I think it involved removing the holder from the boot (and obviously taking out the steel), heating the holder and applying the dye.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Not sure, if you're really interested I can ask. 
I think it involved removing the holder from the boot (and obviously taking out the steel), heating the holder and applying the dye.

@BadAngle41 @Dunsnd check out RIT dye. I believe that’s what folks use on lax heads and skate holders. Lots of YouTube vids out there I believe. While it’s a potentially messy process I think it’s pretty easy. 

14 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@BadAngle41 @Dunsnd check out RIT dye. I believe that’s what folks use on lax heads and skate holders. Lots of YouTube vids out there I believe. While it’s a potentially messy process I think it’s pretty easy. 

Makes sense.

Glad my 11 year old is pimping an all white stick now. Less work for me. 

16 hours ago, thebigm said:

do you have any pics of how it has turned out?

I do not, sorry.  The car has been sold.  I can tell you it changed a bright orange piece of plastic to black with no traces of orange left behind.

edit - Ok I searched so I can at least give you an idea.  Check the orange dipstick handle in the first picture.  Then the black one in the second.  These aren't my pictures but the orange is what I started with and the black is what I ended up with.  Looked exactly the same.
Related image
JDM_DC5_Engine1.jpg

22 hours ago, MTH said:

Makes sense.

Glad my 11 year old is pimping an all white stick now. Less work for me. 

"Hey all-white stick, get your ass out on the ice and make daddy some saves. You CALL me if some other player knocks you out of my hand, you hear me? I got a crease to run, here..."

On 4/9/2018 at 1:53 PM, stackem30 said:

Really fellas, it was just a joke! I don't think buckles are inherently superior to elastic straps or anything. I just prefer them for own aesthetic and sense of security, etc.

I still maintain that purposefully designing a pad to pop off your leg would be insane. It would be incredibly dangerous; you just could not guarantee that the pad wouldn't pop right off as someone at the top of the circle winds up to crank one right at your shin, or when a guy on a breakaway gets pulled down and slides into your legs skates-first. There are just way too many pucks, sticks, and skates flying around from the knee down for me to ever feel comfortable with the idea that my leg pad might pop off if I apply pressure on a strap the wrong way. At the very least, it would result in a series of embarrassing goals that would leave a one-padded goalie fishing the puck out his net, feeling like a fool. 

I do hear what guys are saying about knee injuries from their pads getting stuck, and I think having elastic straps that could pop off easily might be a good idea there. But I'd be damn sure that there was at least one buckled strap that's going to keep my pad attached to my leg, and facing (somewhat) forward.

To me, designing a pad that pops off your leg to spare you from a potential knee injury makes about as much sense as designing a car that ejects you from the automobile because you're about to crash, and you may get whiplash from your seatbelt. You won't get whiplash from your seatbelt, but you'll be lying unprotected on the highway with a bunch of cars going 80mph. Or something. It was a good analogy when I started writing it, shut up.

I don’t think the pads were purposely designed to “pop off”, but I think if it only happens in the most extreme situations... like the knee injuries above, it would probably better 

20 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Who you talkin' to?

You. Wondering where that quote was from. I love dropping movie quotes and all - that one is great. Just wanted to know where it's from before using it. 

17 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I don’t think the pads were purposely designed to “pop off”, but I think if it only happens in the most extreme situations... like the knee injuries above, it would probably better 

Oh I understand that they were not designed to pop off -- I was responding to those who posited that it would be useful to design pads that would do that. And my entire point was that you could never ensure that it only happens in extreme situations where a knee injury it at risk. There's no way to ensure it wouldn't happen during an extremely dangerous situation. I think the risks far outweigh the benefits. Anyway, I'm done with this topic. Pads that pop off aren't on the market, and if they ever are, I won't buy 'em :)

4 hours ago, MTH said:

You. Wondering where that quote was from. I love dropping movie quotes and all - that one is great. Just wanted to know where it's from before using it. 

Ahh, I just made that up, it's not a movie quote. I'd never heard 'pimping' used as slang for using/rocking/sporting before, and I thought it sounded funny (not to be confused with making fun of). 

That's cool that your son plays goal... given the chance, you should convert him to a black-tape bandit... there are so few of us out there. I think it only looks good with black or colored stick, though.

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

Oh I understand that they were not designed to pop off -- I was responding to those who posited that it would be useful to design pads that would do that. And my entire point was that you could never ensure that it only happens in extreme situations where a knee injury it at risk. There's no way to ensure it wouldn't happen during an extremely dangerous situation. I think the risks far outweigh the benefits. Anyway, I'm done with this topic. Pads that pop off aren't on the market, and if they ever are, I won't buy 'em :)

I like the idea. As long as it's not happening mid butterfly, I am okay 

Took in the Canucks team equipment sale today.  A few sets of Markstrom's, Nilsson's, and Garteig's sets were there.  I resisted the siren song of picking up on of Nilsson's relatively new looking sets.  Leg pads were going for $990.

Ended up buying a 60G adidas goalie cut practice jersey as Adidas doesnt seem to making them available for the retail public.

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

I can't help but wonder if they really need to charge so much for the used gear. I mean, they're (NHL teams) like the millionaires club. Are they that bad off for money? If the cash was donated to charities, fine, but seriously. I can't be the only one thinking this.

Is it really that hard to get a matching set together? Or does Schneider just not care?

I've gotta say, as good as Schneider can be, every time I've watched him this season I don't see any changes updates in his game. Same thing with guys like Holtby and Price. Could be factors as to why they have all had off-years. Injuries, past heavy workloads, and incompetent management aside. Quick is the only goalie that plays exactly the same since I first watched him, yet has not suffered for it (yet).

Archived