1S, 1X, or VH 2 Piece Skates?

fullrighttendy70

Hello Fellow TGN subscribers!

Its time to upgrade from my Bauer Pros and I'm in a dilemma about what skate to buy. I've narrowed down my options to the Bauer 1S skates, Bauer 1X skates, and the VH two pieces with the 1S vertexx cowling. I'm going to try out the 1S and 1X skates today. I currently have 10.5 D Bauer pro skates. The problem I found with the Bauer pros is that the boot is too wide, and I have narrow feet. I feel that because of that I'm not getting the most out of my movements. That's why I'm reluctant to get the 1S or 1X skates because the boot may be too wide and I don't want to spend $750 for a skate that doesn't fit the way I'd like. But with the VH skates it would be completely custom to my foot and would fit perfectly. The only thing I'm weary of is the price and possibly growing out of them because I'm only 17, which is not that probable. I'm leaning towards the VH skates because of the fit and I've heard only good things about them. Bauer 1S and 1X skates look appealing too don't get me wrong. I would like to hear all your opinions on what you think!! 

Thanks, David

There's a couple different threads going on VH and a recent review, so please check those out... and I am sure @bunnyman666 and @sebastiancp1 can chime in here as well. We have a Vapor 1X review coming... 

My own 2 sense? 1S skates are amazing, but they have a limited range of people they fit. If you have a more narrow foot, there is hope for you..

The Vapor will be a slight more accommodating boot and is designed to fit more people.

I believe the Bauer Pro is going fit more like the Vapor. The Vapor fits like the Reactor. The Reactor fits like a Supreme before they went to the Curv boot. The Pro preceded the Supremes... follow? Man that is tricky!!! 

In terms of Bauer differences, the Vapor will also have a taller boot and the 1S is more of a low top. 

For not much more money than the top offerings by Bauer, you can get a custom boot from VH. If you have a weird to fit foot, VH is the way to go. 

By all means- if you can fit out of the box, do that. Seeing if this is the case requires physically trying the boots on. 

I am also going to send a warning about going cowling free: you may get hurt by a shot! I got a bruised bone in my foot. Yes- nothing was broken, but the ball of my foot was very sore for a little over a week. That physical space between your foot and a puck prevents you from getting hurt. Yes- the tall holder on the new cowling free skates is amazing for attack angle, but unless you play almost exclusively on your knees, you may get hurt. 

I admire Bauer for pushing out a cowling-less skate as I feel like this was a really nice gear advancement for goalies.  That being said, I could never wear Bauer boots because of the width and also the length.  It always felt like I was in between sizes.  I would whole heatedly recommend the VH.  Even if you went Bauer, you're still spending major money and still a risk of growing out of them, so why not get something custom made to your feet?

5 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

For not much more money than the top offerings by Bauer, you can get a custom boot from VH. If you have a weird to fit foot, VH is the way to go. 

By all means- if you can fit out of the box, do that. Seeing if this is the case requires physically trying the boots on. 

I am also going to send a warning about going cowling free: you may get hurt by a shot! I got a bruised bone in my foot. Yes- nothing was broken, but the ball of my foot was very sore for a little over a week. That physical space between your foot and a puck prevents you from getting hurt. Yes- the tall holder on the new cowling free skates is amazing for attack angle, but unless you play almost exclusively on your knees, you may get hurt. 

"for not much more money"

In Canada major brands are $700-800 CAD for top end. VH 2 piece is $980 USD or around $1300 CAD.

In US still a $200-300 jump.

33 minutes ago, goalie said:

In Canada major brands are $700-800 CAD for top end. VH 2 piece is $980 USD or around $1300 CAD.

I guess because I have wasted so much money on bad fitting skates, it isn't much more money. But when I ordered, it was $900 US or CAD for the skate. 

7 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I guess because I have wasted so much money on bad fitting skates, it isn't much more money. But when I ordered, it was $900 US or CAD for the skate. 

If it was still $900 CAD I probably would have done it. Instead I just got Tacks, that are going to need a lot more punching!

And you are right over time I have had a bunch that didn't fit right, and in the total spent, a few hundred might have been worth it.

Probably the same logic as the thousands of dollars in sticks that are sitting in my basement that were one and done. Would have been smarter to get a dozen custom. 

40 minutes ago, goalie said:

If it was still $900 CAD I probably would have done it. Instead I just got Tacks, that are going to need a lot more punching!

And you are right over time I have had a bunch that didn't fit right, and in the total spent, a few hundred might have been worth it.

Probably the same logic as the thousands of dollars in sticks that are sitting in my basement that were one and done. Would have been smarter to get a dozen custom. 

I would have NEVER bought these unless I had not just "had it up to here" with poor fitting, miserable-feeling skates! For about a minute, I hemmed and hawed about this purchase, especially from a "I'm only on the ice once per week" perspective; I now lambaste myself for not doing it sooner!!! I feel particularly stupid about not doing it sooner in light of having foot surgery on BOTH FEET!!!!

I advocate buying off the shelf when possible, ESPECIALLY since I am a career skin flint!!!! But for this instance, it was stupid that I tried skimping on this purchase.

6 hours ago, goalie said:

Just wanted to let you know the 1 piece skates are $980 base price, but the 2 piece skates are $840 base price.

16 hours ago, fullrighttendy70 said:

Just wanted to let you know the 1 piece skates are $980 base price, but the 2 piece skates are $840 base price.

You are right. Still ends up @ $1,100 for CAD.

And what is the "traditional fit "

The two piece ended up being 977 Canadian (about 725 US), with taxes and a $25 shipping charge to the dealership.

I happened to be in Canada, so I ordered them while I was up there. It cost me another $30 US to have a friend pick them up and ship them to me in the states.

They would have been $840 US all in if I ordered from home

Goaliemonkey has the 1S and the 1X at 749.99 plus shipping for in-stock skates, so it isn't really that much of a difference to get full custom

Archived