Bauer Supreme 1S Skates

TheGoalNet

Bauer Supreme 1S Skates 

Previous Skates: Bauer One100

Length of Ownership: 5+ years 

Current Level Play / Use: A or B men's league, 1-2 times a week

Note: The original article has been updated into a staff article. Some comments below may reflect updated or deleted content. 

At this stage in the game, it takes me a tremendously long time to wear out pro level gear. . . if its possible at all. My old skates had the cliché Vertexx cut out cracking, but otherwise held up well. As with most gear driven decisions these days, a new technology or pure need to change causes most purchases. 

IMG_5187.JPG

In this case, it was a new technology! When I got my first set of P1s in college at their initial launch, I began to wonder when a company would come out with a truly modern skate.  I wanted something that was not hindered by a legacy of heavy plastic from the skate save era. I didn’t understand why I had pads that turned my makeshift flexibility into picture perfect pad rotation and skates that didn’t know what a butterfly was.  The second I saw teaser pics for the 1S online a last year, I began drooling over them.

IMG_4480.thumb.JPG.7d362e520df4e7f9cbe27896a7560c8e.JPG

The hype around these skates is manly based on the improved attack angle and weight reduction. Those are clearly awesome and two unique selling points. This technology is already validated as a large number of pros are in the 1S or use Vertexx Edge holders on their VH skates.

I find the improved attack angle pays the biggest dividends to me in battle or recovery situations. The most common place that my feet used to slide out was trying to execute a butterfly slide while already down and chasing a rebound, failed clear, etc. The new skates bite much sooner and with a greater range of motion. I can think of at least 2 “highlight reel” saves since converting to these skates that would have been lame duck slides in my One100s.

IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_4739.JPG

However, I find the best part about these skates is the connected feel I have with them.  I can finally feel the ice below my feet and my movement feels considerably more precise.

IMG_4742.JPG IMG_4741.JPG

I attribute this to two things:

Reduced weight; anything that weighs less is less noticeable. It's why OEMs are constantly trying to make every piece of gear lighter and lighter There are  not clunky pieces of plastic getting in my way any longer and that's always a big deal.

Mounting the cowling directly to the midsole; I think mounting the blade holder directly to the bottom is a major break thru on this skate and it's not anything I've ever heard mentioned before. The first few strides felt weird under my feet, but also amazing. You can feel the ice beneath your feet more like you can with a player's skates. This gives you a tremendous amount of feel during slides. For me, I find that feel equals controls. It's one of those Apple like things that I didn't know I was missing... until Steve Jobs pointed out how bad life was without it. 

IMG_4743.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

The only negative that I found with these skates was short lived. I've got a Supreme foot and I love stiff skates. Ever since skates could be baked, I have been wearing Supremes with no issues. In addition to my previously mentioned One100 goal skates, this also includes One95s and One100 player skates. I've never had so much as a blister. 

Lacing the skates up at the store, the volume felt a bit different. I assumed this was because the ankle padding in these skates is monstrous or that they were unbaked. My One100 are basically slippers at this point in time and any new skates would have probably felt foreign.  After all, it's been awhile since I had new wheels. They were baked at the store and the skates felt fine. The guy at the local Total Hockey was very helpful.

IMG_4481.JPG

I didn't sweat it and wore them a few days later. As described above, I was in heaven and loved the improved performance. These are noticeably better than my old skates. 

However, with literally like 1 minute left in the first game skate, I felt a bit of pinching on my left ankle. When I took off my skates, I had small blisters on the front of each inner ankle. The side that popped caused the pinching sensation. I don't wear socks with skates.  I wore them again a few times and it was the same deal. I would have no real pain during most of the skate, but I was feeling a little pinching at the end and kept getting blisters. 

IMG_4736.thumb.JPG.e5c1a4bf961f52e004e0b1fc4e64e721.JPG

I took the skates to my local Total Hockey, which is unfortunately slated to close soon, and got them baked again. I laced them a little looser during the second bake and was fanatical not to move my feet or legs during the fitting. As with the first time, the skates felt great at the end the settling period and I left the store. I have skated with them half a dozen times since then and am happy to report that they feel great now. The minor pinching issue has been resolved and the blisters are no more.

IMG_4478.JPG

I think these skates are a major step forward and will be remembered as a dramatic turning point in the history of goal skates.  I would recommend that anyone looking for new skates wait until their OEM of choice offers this technology or just switch to Bauer now, it's a game changer. 

IMG_4713.JPG

IMG_4736.JPG

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow incredible that the ball of your ankle is so close to the lace holes? Do you have the same ankle location In your One 100's you might want to measure the length from the 2/3 eye lid to the back of the skate on your pictures it looks narrower?

One major difference between skates is that the 1S's have like 10x more ankle padding than the One100. That's why I'm hoping another baking does the trick. I'm thinking maybe I didn't everything locked into place properly 

I can measure them and get back to you, but i don't know if I trust that.  I was hoping someone who works in shop might be able to chime in and confirm if they removed volume with the 1S boot? 

My observation when I tried on a pair of S190s were that the boot was narrower overall from other iterations of Supreme skates that I have tried on in the recent past. I think I would have had a LOT of punching out in the forefoot of the boot to make them work. Ultimately, I went with VH boots hoping for a better fit and built for all of my foot maladies.

That being said- another bake is probably what the doctor ordered. I think a lot of your problems will be solved.

On 2/22/2017 at 4:05 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I prefer the feeling of older skates.  I still wear Bauer 7000s.  I just don't like how stiff all the new stuff is.  I didn't even like one100s and those weren't even composite.

Got it... maybe you'll get lucky and the new lower end Vapor will work for you 

or you get a Vertexx Edge and Mod the toe of your 7000 skates 

On 2/25/2017 at 8:32 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Got it... maybe you'll get lucky and the new lower end Vapor will work for you 

or you get a Vertexx Edge and Mod the toe of your 7000 skates 

There is no way I would wear a 7000 boot without any kind of toe protection.  I still take pucks off the toes every now and again.

8 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

There is no way I would wear a 7000 boot without any kind of toe protection.  I still take pucks off the toes every now and again.

Do you have any space inside the toe? Maybe you could put Maltese gel on the inside 

21 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Cowlings were the way for a long time- nothing wrong with staying with what you like.

Yea it is what it is.  I just prefer the older softer boots and that will prevent me from moving away from a cowling.  Sucks because I remember how blown away I was the first time I skated on my 7000s after swapping the old tuuk cowling for the one80 cowling and Step steel.  It was such a dramatic improvement for my down movements.  I can only imagine how much I'd love one of these cowlingless designs.  Plus another drawback is I prefer 4mm steel and the only one that can offer that is VH and I am not blowing all that money on skates.  I am lucky enough that off the shelf skates fit my feet perfectly fine.

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea it is what it is.  I just prefer the older softer boots and that will prevent me from moving away from a cowling.  Sucks because I remember how blown away I was the first time I skated on my 7000s after swapping the old tuuk cowling for the one80 cowling and Step steel.  It was such a dramatic improvement for my down movements.  I can only imagine how much I'd love one of these cowlingless designs.  Plus another drawback is I prefer 4mm steel and the only one that can offer that is VH and I am not blowing all that money on skates.  I am lucky enough that off the shelf skates fit my feet perfectly fine.

I hear you. 4mm steel is the only way to fly in goal.

I don't blame you on not spending to get skates just for 4mm steel. I freaking lament that it takes nearly a Grand to get skates that don't KILL my feet. The softer skates moulded better, albeit at the expense of protection.  

The only thing I say is to get as much Step Steel as you can to ensure you can service your skates! You never know how long that will be available.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I hear you. 4mm steel is the only way to fly in goal.

I don't blame you on not spending to get skates just for 4mm steel. I freaking lament that it takes nearly a Grand to get skates that don't KILL my feet. The softer skates moulded better, albeit at the expense of protection.  

The only thing I say is to get as much Step Steel as you can to ensure you can service your skates! You never know how long that will be available.

I've been on the same set of steel for, idk, at least 3 years now and there is still plenty of meat on them.  I usually go a few months between sharpenings.  I am definitely due for one now though, I meant to go this week.  As far as protection, I guess I really don't have to worry about that so long as I am wearing the cowling.

Bunny, do you think any of the Vaughn skates that you've tried would provide enough protection without a cowling?  From what I remember of the various reviews I've read over the years I remember that they're not as stiff as today's composite skates but more than older skates like the 7000, etc.

On 3/3/2017 at 10:13 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I've been on the same set of steel for, idk, at least 3 years now and there is still plenty of meat on them.  I usually go a few months between sharpenings.  I am definitely due for one now though, I meant to go this week.  As far as protection, I guess I really don't have to worry about that so long as I am wearing the cowling.

When I played junior hockey, that's when my sharpening habit went up. My trainer laughed at how dull my skates were!!!! My play improved immensely with the correct hollow. Of course I played wing as a junior. Twenty five years after the fact, I still sharpen every 4-6 hours on ice. Mind that it is really just a touch up on my steel, but I love a fresh edge. I get an asymmetrical edge, and I love a good bite on my inside edge.

But with your habits, your skate will wear out before your steel does, and if that works for you, that's great!

Archived