Winners and Losers: Adidas NHL Jerseys

TheGoalNet

Winners and Losers: Adidas NHL Jerseys

In addition to goalie gear, I am B- level uniform and sneaker enthusiast. New hockey uniform launches are one of my highlights of the draft, winter classic, etc. Having all 31 teams forced into new templates and some getting an overhaul is my Superbowl. I was furiously toggling between Twitter and Instagram last night, driving my wife nuts in the process, to get the latest info. My friends at Uni-Watch had killer live coverage. 

Below are my thoughts on what we will see for next years uniforms...

Biggest Overall Loser: Ottawa Senators

Ottawa 3rd.jpg

Woof and puke emoji all in one. Ottawa was the only team left with the horrid Edge template after Pittsburgh, Tampa, etc bailed on it. With the discontinuation of the 3rd Jersey, there was some hope that Ottawa would go retro for a few seasons like their current third. 

nashville-predators.jpg

Unfortunately, Ottawa didn't even revert to something simple, the Preds re-design, and get rid of their current hot mess.

PeterSidorkiewiczOttawa.jpg

They didn't use to their inaugural NHL jerseys which weren’t too shabby either. Instead, we got stuck with an Addias version of the Reebok Edge template. Sorry Craig Anderson, I love you repping Chicago in the show at an advanced age, but I am boycotting watching all Sens games next year. 

ottawa-senators.jpg

Biggest Overall Winner: Carolina Hurricanes

Canes classic.jpg

When the Whalers made the unfortunate move to Carolina, they ended up with okay unis. Especially when we put them into context and consider the rushed nature of the move to NC. The hurricane stripe was unique without being too over the top. The hurricane flag on the shoulder patch makes a mean alternate jersey logo. There are a few elements I didn't love, like the shiny silver stripes or the cliché puck in the eye of the hurricane, but far from terrible. Unfortunately, the Canes recent redesign was soulless and generic. They were too plain to hate, but too plain to like all the same. 

Canes Reebok.jpg

The Hurricanes smartly got with Adidas and revived the classic branding with a modern twist. They got rid of the silver, toned down the hurricane stripe, and utilized more black. They came into the league during the "Black for Black Sake" (name credit Uni-Watch) era and they should own black. I literally cannot complain about this jersey. 

New Stripe.jpg

full canes.jpg

First Runner Up as Loser: The Boston Bruins 

Orr.jpg

Dear Adidas, 1 rule when you're making a name for yourself in a new market? Don't monkey with things that shouldn't be changed, like, I don't know... The Original Six? When Boston asked for this change, you should have done the right thing and refused to do it! I know this one it not your fault, but the customer is not always right... come on guys!

One of the classic elements of the B's dark unis was the gold socks. Yes, it's not balanced, but that's what makes it great. It's a relic from when people didn't have multibillion dollar corporations designing uniforms. I don't know the full story behind the gold socks, but my guess is that someone figured out that black socks created too much black visually and the gold broke it up nicely. What's next, giving the Habs matching stripes for the home and away jersey kits? Hopefully there is an outcry and the Bruins fix this. Otherwise, the Bruins look they are permanently wearing 3rd jerseys.

Bruins.jpg

First Runner Up as Winner: The rest of the Original 6

Dear everyone else, who understands their history, thanks for not messing this up!!! 

Honorable Mention as Loser: New Jersey Devils 

Old Devils.jpg

In fairness, I think the Devils look worse than the Bruins now, but it's not as much of atrocity to me, so I cannot make it my number 2. Similar to the Senators, there were rumors of digging into the vault for the new sweaters and bringing back the Christmas look. The colors are sorta tough on the eyes, but they are unique and the pants are sick. As NJ tries to reboot their franchise, I think this would have been an awesome move. Unfortunately, they decided to mimic the arm stripes of the Colorado Rockies, who moved to NJ, and gave us the most uninspired jersey of the lot. In my opinion, this looks like the cheap kids jersey you buy at Walmart for 19.99 because your kids will grow out of a real jersey too fast. 

DEvils.JPG

Honorable Mention as Winner: The Vegas Golden Knights 

First off, from what I can tell, the event was a success. Unveiling all 31 jerseys at once was very un-NHL and a great move toward broadening the sport's marketability. The Vegas unveiling was dramatic and calling the team store "The Armory" is a cheesy, but fun. 

both.jpg

So as for the uniform itself, it's not a home run... Let's be honest. But, it truly is not as bad as people are making it out to be and who's initial jersey from the "sneaker company" era killed it anyway? This jersey lines up with what I expected for the most part. The team's owner is a West Point alum and wanted his team to be inspired by the West Point athletic teams. This is why the word "Knight" is in the team's name and that grey, black, and gold are in the colors. We also know this a new team for 2017-2018; the team was going to have a fairly simplified and block style striping pattern and some design elements to stand out. What I couldn't predict was the use of red, a paisley pattern in gold arm stripe or behind the knight's helmet, the white mitts, or grey bucket. To recap my last couple of sentences, there is a lot going on here!

Back.jpg

But maybe that is point? It's Vegas after all. It's their first professional major league sports team and it deserves to stand out of crowd. Maybe not trying to fake it with a jersey that appeals to the hockey conservatives is just the point. 

grey bucket.jpg

The grey helmet is a surprise on some levels and right on trend by other standards. The “Grey for Grey Sake” (name credit Uni-Watch) is an epidemic in college football and baseball right now. Fortunately, hockey is a conservative sport and immune from many short lived uniform fads. My predication was a matte black helmet for Vegas, so the grey is par for the course to me. The fact that grey is one of their primary colors makes it more palatable.

sealsleafs1972.jpg

skates.jpg

caps pants.jpg

My personal feelings are that white gloves are for all-star games and beer leaguers, but I respect Vegas taking a risk and committing a hockey sin. I am curious to see if they last longer than the Caps white pants or Seals white skates, but white gloves in Sin City are almost perfect, don’t you think?

vegas.jpg

Other Notes: The Adidas jersey seems like a nice technological upgrade over the Reebok templates. In reading the marketing release, I learned the jersey's are 19% lighter, 27% stronger, and breath better. Anyone who reads my gear articles knows that I am advocate for lightweight and modern materials. I truly commend Adidas for coming up with a better mousetrap.  

I don’t hate the new Wild uni, but I think they copied the horrible trend set by the Panthers of a chest stripe. The chest stripe should be a trademark of the Canadiens only lent to other teams for special occasions. It’s shame that 2 expansion teams have now committed this fraud.

minnesota-wild.jpg

florida-panthers.jpg

I know what I won't be doing: updating my Blues sweater. I plain don't like them. I thought they were going to go with Winter Classic-style unis, which would have been a home run. 

White gloves- YUCK!!!! They will go through twenty pair per season! 

Grey helmets? DOUBLE YUCK!!!! DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!!

Bettman needs to be strung up and beaten for these sins!!!!

I always thought that a team's uniform also has to match the geographic position of the city or fit the city's personality. That's why Vancouver is better in Blue and Green than Yellow and black. Vancouver has the ocean and giant trees.

Montreal is wearing the French flag colours because of the French factor of the city.

Grey is the last colour that I think of when I think about Las Vegas! If there was a team that I would allow to go Bling-Bling, it would be Vegas. They would have needed more bright Gold (not necessarily metallic Gold, but the Old Edge Penguin gold) to represent money and the desert's sand. Red and black should have been there too (well, more red than now), you know, Roulette and cards. I would have thrown in silver too as a small accent colour.

1 hour ago, chakal said:

I always thought that a team's uniform also has to match the geographic position of the city or fit the city's personality. That's why Vancouver is better in Blue and Green than Yellow and black. Vancouver has the ocean and giant trees.

Montreal is wearing the French flag colours because of the French factor of the city.

Grey is the last colour that I think of when I think about Las Vegas! If there was a team that I would allow to go Bling-Bling, it would be Vegas. They would have needed more bright Gold (not necessarily metallic Gold, but the Old Edge Penguin gold) to represent money and the desert's sand. Red and black should have been there too (well, more red than now), you know, Roulette and cards. I would have thrown in silver too as a small accent colour.

Interesting perspective. Other than some obvious ones, like the Red Wings in red or Blues in blue, I had not thought about this before. 

18 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Interesting perspective. Other than some obvious ones, like the Red Wings in red or Blues in blue, I had not thought about this before. 

It's the Vegas Golden Knights.... and they're grey!

2 hours ago, chakal said:

Funny you mention that.

I remember reading about how the NHL and the owner wanted to limit the amount of tie in with gambling when making this team

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Funny you mention that.

I remember reading about how the NHL and the owner wanted to limit the amount of tie in with gambling when making this team

I know, that's why I have no problem with not having cards or Roulette on the Jersey. But still, you're in Vegas! The uniform should at least say it. It should show the extravaganza of Vegas because gambling or not, Vegas is the city of all excesses and great shows. Elvis, Cirque du Soleil, big boxing fights and what else?

8 minutes ago, chakal said:

I know, that's why I have no problem with not having cards or Roulette on the Jersey. But still, you're in Vegas! The uniform should at least say it. It should show the extravaganza of Vegas because gambling or not, Vegas is the city of all excesses and great shows. Elvis, Cirque du Soleil, big boxing fights and what else?

Hookers and blow. ;)

I agree with you. Them trying to avoid ties with the sin in Sin City is kind of silly. Everyone already knows the reputation of Vegas.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Hookers and blow. ;)

I agree with you. Them trying to avoid ties with the sin in Sin City is kind of silly. Everyone already knows the reputation of Vegas.

That must be paisley accents are... ripper panties! 

• 1 month later...

Archived