1S, NXG, or True 6.0 Stick?

Snowman30

I am looking for some feedback from the members I am finally going to make the jump and try out composite sticks. But I am looking to hear some feedback on these two brands and models from them. I'm looking at the Bauer 1s and NXG and the True  A6.0 sbp and  A 4.5 sbp.  I have 2 good options right now to pick up some lightly used NXG's and True A 4.5sbp. I know they are two different levels as one is pro and the other mid line but I can get both for roughly the same price.

I am more worried about durability and vibration as I have been dead set against switching but now with the price of foam core getting up there I think now I will give think them a try. If you can help me that would great ;)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used Bauer NXG and 1S. No complaints, I think they're probably the best on the market. 

True sent me a 6.0 to test and I should skate with it this week. It's super light and the balance is the best of any normal geometry paddle I've held. 

I had a 4.5 in hand in a shop the other day and that felt like a great value. If you're looking for a composite to replace a foamcore, that might be a good option. If you want the full benefit of a composite, I'd look for a top of the line. 

Ill have more info once I am comfortable doing a review 

Thanks for that info and pics ;). I actually got to go down to pro hockey life at Vaughn Mills today while I was working ( best part about being a highway coach driver is the lay over time) and held all those models. The Bauers felt the absolute best followed by the 6.0. I actually couldn't believe how blade heavy the 4.5 was, it really felt out of balance and heavier then a foam core stick. The Bauers really blew me away with how light there were but with that I was worried about durability. But after seen your pictures they seem to hold up pretty good.

I ended up picking up 3 Bauer Total one nxg sticks and I am going finally give them a try after using foam core all these years. Thanks again for your help.

24 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

Thanks for that info and pics ;). I actually got to go down to pro hockey life at Vaughn Mills today while I was working ( best part about being a highway coach driver is the lay over time) and held all those models. The Bauers felt the absolute best followed by the 6.0. I actually couldn't believe how blade heavy the 4.5 was, it really felt out of balance and heavier then a foam core stick. The Bauers really blew me away with how light there were but with that I was worried about durability. But after seen your pictures they seem to hold up pretty good.

I ended up picking up 3 Bauer Total one nxg sticks and I am going finally give them a try after using foam core all these years. Thanks again for your help.

Couldn't agree more. Great find on the NXGs. I looked for some more before going to 1S, but I couldn't find any. 

Look forward to seeing some more feedback after you use them 

23 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

The Bauers really blew me away with how light there were but with that I was worried about durability. But after seen your pictures they seem to hold up pretty good...

Umm - TGN - isn't that Total One NXG the stick you just did a repair on? The blade seems to be cracked  just up from the heel(?)

40 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

Umm - TGN - isn't that Total One NXG the stick you just did a repair on? The blade seems to be cracked  just up from the heel(?)

Yes, that is the cracked NXG. Break is in the center of the blade. It lasted 4-5 Skates before it broke again 

if the heel looks weird, it's because that's where my tape ends. 

I know the addition of epoxy skews the weight a bit, but i still felt it was relevant 

Thanks managed to find the nxg's on Kijiji. Guy used one for bit so it will be a back up and the other two were used 1 time each. Price wise it's great 3 sticks with shipping is costing me less then it would for one brand new one instore. I've done ok, managed to also pick up a Factory Mad set of gear also that I should have by the end of the month. So two things I have wanted to try I have managed to get in the last week.

1 hour ago, Snowman30 said:

Thanks managed to find the nxg's on Kijiji. Guy used one for bit so it will be a back up and the other two were used 1 time each. Price wise it's great 3 sticks with shipping is costing me less then it would for one brand new one instore. I've done ok, managed to also pick up a Factory Mad set of gear also that I should have by the end of the month. So two things I have wanted to try I have managed to get in the last week.

That's incredibly lucky 

Just got a 24.5" intermediate NXG for a princely $75 shipped from Diluted Goalie to try. I use a 25" paddle that I reshape atleast 1/2". It nearly needs lead weights to keep it from floating away! Of course I am from the Wood is Good school. I may try this next Sunday. 

8 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Just got a 24.5" intermediate NXG for a princely $75 shipped from Diluted Goalie to try. I use a 25" paddle that I reshape atleast 1/2". It nearly needs lead weights to keep it from floating away! Of course I am from the Wood is Good school. I may try this next Sunday. 

Out of curiosity how tall are you Bunny? As we are probbably having to buy a new stick for my SO once we get all sorted with car etc, and she's around 1m 64cm and she's a bit uncertain about what stick size/group she should use as the previous ones were all given to her by our old team. So if you were about the same height that might help, and we would love to go to a hockey shop but the nearest one with ANYTHING goalie related is either like 800 kms to Köln in Germany, or to Malmö in sweden(which is a shorter distance but more expensive due to bridge fees)... 

41 minutes ago, MadsM said:

Out of curiosity how tall are you Bunny? As we are probbably having to buy a new stick for my SO once we get all sorted with car etc, and she's around 1m 64cm and she's a bit uncertain about what stick size/group she should use as the previous ones were all given to her by our old team. So if you were about the same height that might help, and we would love to go to a hockey shop but the nearest one with ANYTHING goalie related is either like 800 kms to Köln in Germany, or to Malmö in sweden(which is a shorter distance but more expensive due to bridge fees)... 

5'8.5" tall. I generally reshape 25" paddles about 1/2". 

12 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Don't know if you seen these of eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bauer-Supreme-TotalOne-NXG-LE-Goalie-Stick-24-5-Regular-/152606838683?var=&hash=item2388138f9b:m:mdHf47E_YOYWXHDI4I02ugw

Little bit more then what you paid but they are what you were taking about.

13 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

That's incredibly lucky 

The Factory Mad set I had been watching on ebay and after 2 auctions with no bidders I sent the buyer a message and we worked out a deal to get it. Pretty much zero issues with the set at all. The only thing to fix is the blocker palm replaced.

The sticks were my Kijiji luck, I always go on ever few days and this summer I had been checking for Bauer sticks. There has been alot of pros/jrs listing sticks and stuff on there Ken Appleby, MacKenzie Blackwood, Tyler Weilman, and a few OHL and Qmjhl guys. It was just how much I wanted to pay and what I wanted.

1 hour ago, Snowman30 said:

Don't know if you seen these of eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bauer-Supreme-TotalOne-NXG-LE-Goalie-Stick-24-5-Regular-/152606838683?var=&hash=item2388138f9b:m:mdHf47E_YOYWXHDI4I02ugw

Little bit more then what you paid but they are what you were taking about.

I will look. First- I have to see if I like composite.

Thanks for the linky!

I used my True yesterday and will do an "initial impressions" after another 1-2 skates. 

Quick first impression: The True is about the same weight as the NXG and heavier than the 1S. In my opinion, the 1S feel different than a foam core. It feels freakishly light in your hand and the paddle shape is a whole new experience. The 6.0spb feels like an evolution of a foam core. It's really light but feels more like a traditional stick in your hand. I also found the flex to be stiffer than the 1S for shooting. In contrast, the 6.0 does not feel like the 1X which is designed to mimic a foam core. The 1X feels similar in weight to a foam core, but it utilizes modern materials to last longer. 

1S - Crazy Composite that takes fulls advantage of the technology

6.0spb - Natural evolution of the goal stick that is lighter than any foam core

1X - A more durable version of a foam core 

On 07/07/2017 at 10:17 AM, TheGoalNet said:

I used my True yesterday and will do an "initial impressions" after another 1-2 skates. 

Quick first impression: The True is about the same weight as the NXG and heavier than the 1S. In my opinion, the 1S feel different than a foam core. It feels freakishly light in your hand and the paddle shape is a whole new experience. The 6.0spb feels like an evolution of a foam core. It's really light but feels more like a traditional stick in your hand. I also found the flex to be stiffer than the 1S for shooting. In contrast, the 6.0 does not feel like the 1X which is designed to mimic a foam core. The 1X feels similar in weight to a foam core, but it utilizes modern materials to last longer. 

1S - Crazy Composite that takes fulls advantage of the technology

6.0spb - Natural evolution of the goal stick that is lighter than any foam core

1X - A more durable version of a foam core 

By 1x you mean the NXG right....lol

15 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

By 1x you mean the NXG right....lol

No, I was working in the details about the Vapor 1X. I was worried people might mistake my comments about True to make it seem like a competitor to the Vapor 1X stick, which it's not. 

NXG is similar to 1S

15 minutes ago, Hills said:

Have you used the 1X? I thought the point of that stick was to make the 1S less vibration heavy by giving it foam core features. Not make a more durable foam core.

Despite what Bauer's marketing the stick as, I am going off my impressions from stalking the stick in the store. I also think we are kinda of saying the same thing with different terms to explain it. I could have purchased one a couple months ago but elected not to because it didn't appeal to me at all. 

Have you held it? It's extremely heavy relative to the 1S, True, or Premier Plus and does not feel like any other composite stick on the market. It does have a wood core and I will trust Bauer that it vibrates less.

That is why I am saying it feels like Bauer overlaid some composite stick technology onto a foam core. If Bauer is calling it a composite with foam core feeling, it's kind of tomatO tomAto. 

I would be shocked if anyone was happily using a 1S and switched to the 1X. One of the best advantages of a composite stick to me is that my blocker feels faster. There is no chance you could say this with the 1X. 

In my opinion, the 1X will appeal to people who tried a composite 1-2 times and hated it. It will NOT appeal to someone who likes the performance of their existing composite but feels they vibrate too much. Just my two sense.  

I see what you are saying. I never thought people bought composites for durability, rather just for performance.

I'm debating a 1X or 1S now... 1S is already a year old but it is so so so light that I want to give it a go. But I know a new one is out less than a year away.

1 hour ago, Hills said:

I see what you are saying. I never thought people bought composites for durability, rather just for performance.

I'm debating a 1X or 1S now... 1S is already a year old but it is so so so light that I want to give it a go. But I know a new one is out less than a year away.

I agree 100% about the performance and that's why the 1X seems like a very niche product to me. I am not a fan. 

You could do the site a favor and get Warrior CR1, we have like no data on that! :giggle:

As for 1S, I am sure the 2S (or whatever it's called) will be a mild evolution of the 1S. Having used both an NXG and 1S, I wouldn't shy away from an NXG today if I got a good price. I personally wouldn't be afraid of the 1S being obsolete. Look at it this way, NXG is still as light any stick that is not the 1S on the market. I would imagine the same will be true for 1S vs 2018 stick releases. 

Archived