1S, NXG, or True 6.0 Stick?

Snowman30

32 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I've only bought one composite... a Bauer and I honestly don't even recall what model. I broke it just as fast as a foam core of course, hated the vibration etc. anyway. With a price tag so high, I'm hard pressed to find a reason to not get 3 custom Passau twigs instead. My thinking is that if I'm reliant on my stick being THAT light to make a save, I have a technical breakdown somewhere that I should address long before purchasing a single stick for that much. Just my opinion of course.

Can't argue with your points (even though I have 2 comp sticks).

The only thing I find curious is so many goalies  get hung up on cutting an ounce or 2 off pads by using synthetic straps (CCM) but gloves and sticks are the only real benefactors of weight reduction.

And when you are over 50 (me) you might need to have the advantage of waving a 250 gram lighter stick at a puck, your body can't catch up to. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, goalie said:

The only thing I find curious is so many goalies  get hung up on cutting an ounce or 2 off pads by using synthetic straps (CCM) but gloves and sticks are the only real benefactors of weight reduction.

And when you are over 50 (me) you might need to have the advantage of waving a 250 gram lighter stick at a puck, your body can't catch up to. 

I don't know about only gloves and sticks benefiting from weight, but I understand what you're saying. I'm guilty of getting rid of most of my CCM leathers for elastic & velcro, but that was for fit more than anything. May have saved some weight too, but that wasn't the driving force behind the change. I'm all for innovation and making things lighter, more breathable, and more protective, but I think my point is more that some pricing is getting a little ridiculous. I'm definitely the spender in my family (if it's not goalie gear, its car parts or some sweet kicks for the kids) but even I have a limit. Part of it too is just like what @TheGoalNet and other have posted recently about all of us and the pros, you get used to something, have confidence in it, and that lets you focus on stopping a puck far better than a losing couple grams hanging from your blocker side ever will.

BTW... by far the best display name on the forum @goalie it's a privilege to have been quoted by you. 

1 minute ago, 1C5 said:

I kind of wish I never bought the 1S stick. It feels so amazing that unfortunately I could never go back to a heavier stick. I've corrupted myself. 

Well... the good news is that now you've been corrupted... you can finally run for some public office and fit right in!! 

It's like the drug dealer giving the first hit for free to hook a customer. I bet if Bauer discounted the stick for a first time buyer, many people would get so used to the weight and performance of the stick that they would keep buying them at full price. 

29 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I don't know about only gloves and sticks benefiting from weight, but I understand what you're saying. I'm guilty of getting rid of most of my CCM leathers for elastic & velcro, but that was for fit more than anything. May have saved some weight too, but that wasn't the driving force behind the change. I'm all for innovation and making things lighter, more breathable, and more protective, but I think my point is more that some pricing is getting a little ridiculous. I'm definitely the spender in my family (if it's not goalie gear, its car parts or some sweet kicks for the kids) but even I have a limit. Part of it too is just like what @TheGoalNet and other have posted recently about all of us and the pros, you get used to something, have confidence in it, and that lets you focus on stopping a puck far better than a losing couple grams hanging from your blocker side ever will.

BTW... by far the best display name on the forum @goalie it's a privilege to have been quoted by you. 

"@goalie" -> got in early!

4 hours ago, goalie said:

Couldn't agree more more on the weight  reduction. I think I listed somewhere on the site that I love how quick my blocker feels with a composite 

48 minutes ago, MTH said:

Last night during warmups I used a Vaughn foam core and was sweating. Ugh, terrible.

Quit leaving your stick side so open then. Shooters only sheet where they see net. Ha!

(Actually trying to convince myself that I use foam core for lofty "old school" reasons when in reality maybe I'm just being cheap.)

Finally got to take my new 1S stick out for a spin at a Rec Game last night.  

Overall, loved it... no issues with vibration and its crazy light.  Couple that with my RGT set I found myself overplaying some shots as I adjust to the weight savings.

I also really like the grip tac... First time I've had a stick with a grip on it.  Made the stick feel tight and erased any slippage I have experienced in the past.

Glad I made the move to Composite... We'll see how it holds up long term

• 1 month later...

So after starting this thread and having my worries about composite sticks, I'm amazed ?. Don't think I could switch back unless I was desperate. Shooting is still taking a bit to get use to but I have taking some good shots with close to or little feeling from the shot.

I picked up a used Lundqvist Bauer Pro department mask today and the seller had a brand new in bag S Pro so I got it too, did help it was orange too..lol.

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Snowman30 - pics or it didn’t happen!!! 

@bunnyman666  - see the image.

2S Pro - Ridge Paddle - P31 ONLY - 25, 26, 27

2S - Current style Paddle - P31 

Interemediate - 23” 

Senior - 25,26,27

What year is your existing stick? Bauer changed the sizing with the 1S

NXG 27.5 = 1S 26

Here you go. The person I got it from told me that this model is based between the 1s and 190s. It combines the best of both with more custom options then the 1s would offer but with alot more durability and cost that teams want. You can see the outer layer on the paddle is something I haven't seen on the 1s or 190s. I will try to get some better pictures up after.

20171203_080441.jpg

20171203_080501.jpg

20171203_080519.jpg

Archived