1S, NXG, or True 6.0 Stick?

Snowman30

BAH... this damn thread keeps popping up. Dare I convert to composite? Instead of a new batch of Passau foam core perhaps I should dip my toe into the composite pool? 

$200 on a single stick seems crazy... but if I'm going to do this... i should get a real composite and not hybrid... what would you guys suggest? Also I'll need help with paddle height conversion... using a 27.5" now. I'm not too hung up on aesthetics, but something that isn't neon colored would be nice. CR1? Bauer?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

BAH... this damn thread keeps popping up. Dare I convert to composite? Instead of a new batch of Passau foam core perhaps I should dip my toe into the composite pool? 

$200 on a single stick seems crazy... but if I'm going to do this... i should get a real composite and not hybrid... what would you guys suggest? Also I'll need help with paddle height conversion... using a 27.5" now. I'm not too hung up on aesthetics, but something that isn't neon colored would be nice. CR1? Bauer?

I wouldn’t bother. Double the price to save a few grams of weight is silly. 

4 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Go big or go home Bauer S1 - you'll never go back

9 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Check around, it was the same for me when I started this thread. I never wanted and still don't like the idea of paying $175+ for a stick whether it's foam core or composite. The price hike now on foam core sticks I decided this summer to look around on Kijiji. I was going to get one or two try but I found three lightly used pro stock Bauer total one nxg sticks from the same seller and picked them up for $300 CND shipped to my door. So less then $100 a stick, I just picked up a brand new Bauer S Pro for $150 this weekend. So I have 4 top of the line composite sticks that cost me the price of one brand new one in-store. It's worth it even just to get one to try it.

It's blows my mind that you can get a custom molded pro level protection fiberglass mask for the same price ($335) from ProTechSport as the cost of a 1S stick. ($329 retail price). Insane. 

Stick might last a month, a season, who knows. Mask can last a decade or 2 decades or longer if taken care of. 

(This observation coming from me who uses a 1S stick). 

4 hours ago, itis121 said:

Has anybody used both the nxg or 1s stick? I am planning to purchase a pro stock stick but don't know which one to get. Curious on which people prefer. If wondering i am currently using a s190 stick.

Get which one you like the best, they are both pretty close interms of everything. I think the only really difference is the 1s is lighter weight then nxg. I currently have pro stock nxgs but just picked up an S Pro which is pro stock only stick and ranks between the s190 and 1s. To me they are pretty dam close to the same. 

5 hours ago, itis121 said:

Has anybody used both the nxg or 1s stick? I am planning to purchase a pro stock stick but don't know which one to get. Curious on which people prefer. If wondering i am currently using a s190 stick.

I have both. Depends on price. NXG is a bit thicker and obviously heavier but I think it will be more durable than the 1S. But for feel and weight, the 1S wins easily. 

17 hours ago, itis121 said:

I've had both, and the 1S has been significantly more durable in my experience. Looking forward to the 2S.

On 12/4/2017 at 9:11 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

A couple of CR1's from the hockey shop. $100 off the price for each one. They're the first composites I've ever had and at that price, it's too hard not to snag em.  Playing with them tonight. Definitely will be fun.

What's the verdict? Waffling between CR1 and 1S... price point isn't helping 1S... and custom 3 Pack of CR1 from Goaliemonkey helps as well.

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

What's the verdict? Waffling between CR1 and 1S... price point isn't helping 1S... and custom 3 Pack of CR1 from Goaliemonkey helps as well.

It's good. This is my first fray into the composite world, so there is a bit of a adjustment period as I get used to the weight/feel/rebounds/etc. of these sticks.

Played two games with them. One low level bender div and one high div game. First game wasn't too much of a test so I had to just get used to feeling like there was nothing in my hand and the slight difference in paddle heights to my Swaggers (despite them both being 25's).

Second game was last night. Decent shooters and definitely felt what people say about vibration in the hand. Wasn't uncomfortable, but it was noticeable.

I'll definitely let you know in a few weeks how I'm fairing, but I'm not exactly a great resource for composite stick comparisons.

47 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's good. This is my first fray into the composite world, so there is a bit of a adjustment period as I get used to the weight/feel/rebounds/etc. of these sticks.

Played two games with them. One low level bender div and one high div game. First game wasn't too much of a test so I had to just get used to feeling like there was nothing in my hand and the slight difference in paddle heights to my Swaggers (despite them both being 25's).

Second game was last night. Decent shooters and definitely felt what people say about vibration in the hand. Wasn't uncomfortable, but it was noticeable.

I'll definitely let you know in a few weeks how I'm fairing, but I'm not exactly a great resource for composite stick comparisons.

Actually what you've said already is probably what I was looking for. I'm in the same boat as you in terms of new to the composite world (did have a Bauer when the first came out forever ago, broke it, and hated the vibration) and your first impressions would likely be the same as mine. Did you find you liked the grip area or did you grip tape on foam cores before?

7 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Actually what you've said already is probably what I was looking for. I'm in the same boat as you in terms of new to the composite world (did have a Bauer when the first came out forever ago, broke it, and hated the vibration) and your first impressions would likely be the same as mine. Did you find you liked the grip area or did you grip tape on foam cores before?

Yea, vibration was more of a "huh, that's what people are talking about" instead of a "this sucks" type of feeling. I do think the VIBCORE does work and makes it more comfortable.

I like it. I never taped the grip section anyways, but the grip area is just enough. You don't notice it and it's easy to disengage your hand from it, but it is noticeable in comparison to the rest of the stick. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, vibration was more of a "huh, that's what people are talking about" instead of a "this sucks" type of feeling. I do think the VIBCORE does work and makes it more comfortable.

I like it. I never taped the grip section anyways, but the grip area is just enough. You don't notice it and it's easy to disengage your hand from it, but it is noticeable in comparison to the rest of the stick. 

Good deal. Thanks for the additional info. Now if only I could get $100 off each one as well... on their site they're still list price and once I get shipping involved I might as well just get some from the states. 

^^ I dunno, but I just happened to look at the SherWood SL700:

-Super lightweight high modulus carbon fiber shaft for ultimate stiffness and responsiveness
-Injected polyurethane foam reinforced with fibreglass and carbon fiber as well as a carbon channel that crosses the paddle for the ultimate stiffness, preventing the stick from becoming soft over time
-Super thin injected polyurethane blade reinforced with carbon fiber for a stiffer and lighter blade

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/clearance/goalie-sticks-clearance/goalie-sticks-clearance-sr/sherwood-goalie-stick-sl700-sr.html

Archived