1S, NXG, or True 6.0 Stick?

Snowman30

On 25/12/2017 at 4:59 AM, bunnyman666 said:

@TheGoalNet to add to what @Scott has done, since there is a core, this mod is not going to weaken anything. Most foam core sticks don’t have this much composite on them. Since Bauer is using pre-preg, frayed fibres are not a thing, and tape is all you need!

Good job, @Scott

I would use some superglue to seal the exposed area just incase. I do it to all the paddles I shave down. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, keeperton said:

Can you show some examples of how you're holding the stick with that mod? I'm having troubles imaging what it actually does for you.

I've tried a paddle shaped like this before.

The square paddle on the thumb side lets you get a better lock in with your thumb.
The aggressively tapered shoulder on the finger side lets you get a bit better wrap with one or more fingers.

1 hour ago, ruckus007 said:

One other thing: When shaving down the paddle, remember the round or bevel the edges. If you forget to, you'll get a very solemn reminder on the next shot you take to the paddle!

Again- not a terrible idea, either!

I do that on wood/foam paddles. It is second nature.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-12-25 at 7:59 AM, bunnyman666 said:

@TheGoalNet to add to what @Scott has done, since there is a core, this mod is not going to weaken anything. Most foam core sticks don’t have this much composite on them. Since Bauer is using pre-preg, frayed fibres are not a thing, and tape is all you need!

Good job, @Scott

Thanks, I like to think of myself as pretty handy and independent so I always like to tinker with my gear and do little mods, this is definitely my favourite so far

On 2017-12-27 at 1:01 PM, ruckus007 said:

One other thing: When shaving down the paddle, remember the round or bevel the edges. If you forget to, you'll get a very solemn reminder on the next shot you take to the paddle!

I haven’t rounded the edges and I haven’t had a problem. I actually like the squared off edge because that part fits perfectly in the middle section of my middle finger, being squared offallows me to get a really good hold on it too, I have so much more control of my paddle than before

On 12/12/2017 at 7:14 PM, Korppi32 said:

I have used composite sticks three seasons. I play maybe three times per week, almost around the year. I have one quite fresh stick which I use in games and last season game stick is my back up stick which I use in practises. So normally one stick last two seasons, all of my composite sticks have lasted over two years . Last time I used foam cores, I needed four sticks per season. Wood sticks come little soft and lost their performance quicker than composite. So actually I spend less on sticks.

But I think it´s great that there is still users for wooden and foam core sticks because composites are made in China.. I just found that composite performance better, last longer and are lighter.

Now I am starting to get intrested, if composites last 2-4x longer than wood sticks, and retain the stiffness longer than wood/foam sticks. Is this normal? (ie: lasting longer and keeping stiffness)

Also, not all composites are made in China, I know Busch are made here in Switzerland, and I think Frontier's composites are made in Estonia (I have to check on that tho)

18 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

Now I am starting to get intrested, if composites last 2-4x longer than wood sticks, and retain the stiffness longer than wood/foam sticks. Is this normal? (ie: lasting longer and keeping stiffness)

Also, not all composites are made in China, I know Busch are made here in Switzerland, and I think Frontier's composites are made in Estonia (I have to check on that tho)

That depends on a country’s laws where a composite is product “made.”. I do believe that major assembly and paint can make a product “made” in Italy, for example. 

21 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@estogoalie - Composite sticks do last longer and stay more consistent during their life. 

Yes, and I mean Bauer sticks, Bauer makes best composite sticks right now. CCM had some durability issues with their shafts but I haven´t heard any  big issues with Warrior CR- line. I wouldn´t trust those smaller brands, might be good sticks tho...

I now have several skates under my belt with my Warrior CR1 and feel confident enough in my experience to give some thoughts.

I am relatively new to goaltending so I pretty much have only used composite sticks (with an occasional dabble with a foam core). My first was an S170 then moved to a 1S, now to the CR1.

First, in terms of vibration or pinginess, for me, the CR1 definitely feels more solid than the 1S. While I never really minded it because the 1S is so light weight so I was OK with the trade-off, I felt like every shot stung with the 1S. Again, I can only speak for me, but I feel significantly less vibration with the CR1. With the 1S, it feels and sounds like a tinny “CRACK”, with the CR1, it sounds more like a “SMACK”. Subtle difference, but I feel it. Honestly, IMO, vibration is not a reason to discount either of these sticks. That said, neither is going to feel like a foam core.

Biggest difference for me is in the paddle area. Without realizing it, I was having an unusual amount of difficulty transitioning from short stick to long stick with the 1S. Now that I have the CR1, I realize the issue was two-fold: (1) the grip-tac on the 1S; and (2) the twist-paddle shape. With the slide grip on the CR1 and no twist, it is a 100% night-and-day difference for me. So pronounced is the difference that I almost instantly knew I was going to keep the CR1 in play after my first skate. Now I can aggressively poke check and I have WAY more confidence coming out to play the puck. Again, YMMV, but for me this is a game-changer.

Of course, there are other sticks on the market with a straight paddle and no grip which may do the same thing for me, but IMO the CR1 has the whole package - light weight, great feel, easy paddle transition, looks awesome (obviously last on the list, but still on there lol).

Also, I much prefer the Mzarek/Wedge curve to the P31 on the 1S for shooting/passing/stickhandling, but that’s personal preference. Good whip/flex shooting the puck too, certainly comparable to the 1S.

Finally took my CR3 out for a spin during a pick up session last night... I know its only 1 skate but I must have been all kind of spoiled using the 1S for the past few months...

Impressions:

• Weight - Obviously a low end composite will be heavier than a flagship stick... but this thing seemed like a tank compared to the feather light 1S.  I got beat 5-6 times blocker side as well... Which moves into
  • Paddle Height - Both my sticks are a 26" paddle... but the CR3 is shorter than the 1S.  This paired with my new Blacksteel I think caused issued in balancing my stance... Hence the increase in blocker side goals.
  • Curve - I have a new favorite... I was a long time Kipper/Rask Heel curve guy... This one is a Wedge style curve from Mrazek.  I love it for shooting and playing the puck... Curious if Bauer offers a wedge curve?
  • Vibration - This was the area in which the CR3 really struggled... felt everything.  My hand also got a little sore at times, which I chalk up the unique Bauer paddle shape.

Overall it will serve as a decent back up stick... Although I still want to grab a CR1 to go head to head with the 1S

• 2 weeks later...

Warriors are Montreal sticks. Their sizes are always less than what stated relatively speaking. A 27.5 is the same-ish as a 26 Sherwood or Bauer.

Come on, @cwarnar all us gear whores know this... if this was GSBB I'd be banning you for a week for this.

On 1/11/2018 at 1:12 PM, estogoalie said:

Frontier's composite is Chinese, and I was told to stay away from them (the Frontier composite, that is, not the wood/foam sticks)

What composite stick isn't made in China?

By composite I mean the composite sticks that don't contain any wood materials - because the term "composite" is used for anything made up of various parts (foam +wood) or even several wood parts glued together.

Finally saw a CR1 today! I think it’s definitely in the running with CCM, True, etc as the second best stick on the market. Need to use it on the ice to see how the vibration dampening works. 

I still personally feels the 1S is ahead of the field, but I have a feeling this will be like Easton vs the competition in the early days. It’s only a matter of time until it’s neck and neck 

Should see the P2 tomorrow ?

20 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Finally saw a CR1 today! I think it’s definitely in the running with CCM, True, etc as the second best stick on the market. Need to use it on the ice to see how the vibration dampening works. 

I still personally feels the 1S is ahead of the field, but I have a feeling this will be like Easton vs the competition in the early days. It’s only a matter of time until it’s neck and neck 

Should see the P2 tomorrow ?

I'm excited about the CCM Premier 2 !

Archived