Swivel vision

Kieran Crawford

Hey guys what's up!

So I recently received my shipment of swivel vision goggles. Some of you I'm sure have heard of them, some of you probably haven't. They are a pair goggles that are fully adjustable (one size fits all) that block out your peripheral vision. The purpose of these goggles are: when a shot is released instead of just looking at the puck these goggles make you turn your head. This is better because you'll never loose sight of the puck. And you will become use to turning your head. These goggles truly are amazing. I have nothing but good things to say about them. 

IMG_20170713_153729_083.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 8:54 AM, Jukka Ropponen said:

We have started to use them at all GoaliePro programs and fellow goalie schools and pro teams are picking them up now also. Today I just got goggles for all goalies at Kunlun Red Star farm team while they are holding their training camp here at Finland.

Video shows how easy they are to set under the mask

Goalie goggles on.mp4

Are these safe to wear during a pick up a game or only during a specialized goalie training? 

I'm sure you'd be fine wearing them at a pick up game. Though I'm sure you'll be safe and get better usage out of them in goalie specific training sessions.

The main purpose is to train your head to follow a shot right? Pick up games probably won't offer the best setting to utilize the training these provide.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm sure you'd be fine wearing them at a pick up game. Though I'm sure you'll be safe and get better usage out of them in goalie specific training sessions.

The main purpose is to train your head to follow a shot right? Pick up games probably won't offer the best setting to utilize the training these provide.

Exactly why I ask. I'd love to take them for a test drive, but I don't when I am getting a private lesson anytime soon. 

I don't want to get crushed in a pick up game because I don't see a guy to the side of me and I push right into him. 

6 hours ago, Jukka Ropponen said:

Totally fine to use them during pickup game. You can even make that session a special one with focus on constant puck tracking. Then maybe for the last 15 min remove the goggles just to notice the difference they make.

Awesome! 

Mine arrived the other day. Pretty cool. 

Theyre very comfortable and do cut down the peripheral vision as advertised. For anyone else that's practice time is limited to pick up, I'm not afraid to wear these for a lighter pick up game. I don't think I'll get rocked in the side of the head or anything without knowing. 

Going to wear these tomorrow... can't wait 

I wore these the other day. For anyone like myself who tries to still get out to a lower level shinny / rat skate / pick up as their "practice" and try new things, don't be afraid to get these googles. Not once did I ever feel scared or blind to what was happening 

• 1 month later...

I also have a pair and absolutely love them! Wearing the goggles under the mask isn't the most comfortable thing but I think that's because I sit pretty close to my cage. I use the goggles in warm-ups for men's leagues, certain drills in practice, and even game warm-ups. I feel like the goggles take away about 80% of my vision and FORCE you to watch the puck the entire way. With the goggles on you can even see your hands, but when you take them off, I feel like when I take the goggles off I am 'turning the lights on'.

Very happy with my $30 purchase, they improved my game in just a single 20 minute use and I look forward to my warm-up every time I step on the rink now. Great product!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017 at 2:23 AM, Jukka Ropponen said:

Totally fine to use them during pickup game. You can even make that session a special one with focus on constant puck tracking. Then maybe for the last 15 min remove the goggles just to notice the difference they make.

Jukka, I depend on my peripheral vision a great deal to read plays, post-ups and threats. Wouldn't these defy the purpose of an open view during scrimmage?

On 10/30/2017 at 6:00 PM, RichMan said:

Jukka, I depend on my peripheral vision a great deal to read plays, post-ups and threats. Wouldn't these defy the purpose of an open view during scrimmage?

So I have tried to make an effort to use these more at a Stick and Puck or for pickup. 

I actually find that I struggle horribly around the posts with them and it makes me appreciate how much I use, or overuse, my peripheral vision. By using these, it really forces me to turn my head into the corner not cheat. 

With that said, if you are playing in a really fast paced pick up, you might want to think twice about using them because you will have blind spots at times. 

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

So I have tried to make an effort to use these more at a Stick and Puck or for pickup. 

I actually find that I struggle horribly around the posts with them and it makes me appreciate how much I use, or overuse, my peripheral vision. By using these, it really forces me to turn my head into the corner not cheat. 

With that said, if you are playing in a really fast paced pick up, you might want to think twice about using them because you will have blind spots at times. 

As an instructor myself, I can see how great a tool it would be for recovery drills, puck tracking drills and set-up drills (passer/shooter). But as you mention, reading your depth and angles, relying on your posts as markers or getting into a proper VH/RVH could be messed up.

It is very simple concept where goggles limit you peripheral vision and force you to turn your head more to see the puck properly. Once you turn your head enough with goggles, you will be amazed how well you can then see without them.

We use them in drills designed for the purpose. Of course they will limit your ability during shinny, but if that is only practice you get, might as well use the goggles for part of the time to force yourself to urn your body and head properly.

Archived