What Knee Pads Do You Wear?

TheGoalNet

So... I'm a freak show and don't do knee guards. I'm starting think to think I'm on barrowed time 

Ive seen the Factory Mad guards and they're probably my current front runner... but the price is definitely keeping me open to exploring other solutions. It's not that they're not worth it, more that it cuts into my budget for other items. 

I'm amazed how much gear doesn't hold its value anymore and how much used stuff I can get for $350 for content purposes... 

so anyway... what are you wearing and why? 

IMG_5659.JPG

IMG_5660.JPG

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have gone through four different types of knee protection.

The thigh guards that came with my P2's, these we're quickly removed as 1) didn't know how to properly set them up and 2) when I did, i hated them. Went without protection for about a month before take a shot off the knees, Quickly went and bought the gray and black reebok kneed guards. You know, those ones with the ugly assed plastic knee cap.

Those worked more or less fine till I got my V4's.

Used the thigh wraps on those for about 4-5 years. Extremely comfortable way to go. Never felt my movement was hindered, felt protected and enjoyed being able to keep my knee free of bulky knee guards.

The winter season that passed, I got an opportunity to play on a higher div team (div 3 out of the 15 at the rink). Usually played div 7. As you can imagine, as you go up and face decent shooters, your gear needs change. The issue with the thigh wraps was that they didn't completely wrap around your knee. Near the end of the season i took a tip shot right off the small gap in protection and it took me a good 30 seconds to be able to stand up and play again.

Time to upgrade.

Luckily enough, this off season was also me getting my new R/GT's. With all Warrior gear, they give out a set of knee pads.

Aside from getting used to wearing knee pads again, I haven't had a single issue with these knee pads. Very comfortable. I can't comment on the protection as I haven't had a serious shot to them yet.

On 7/14/2017 at 9:44 AM, TheGoalNet said:

So... I'm a freak show and don't do knee guards. I'm starting think to think I'm on barrowed time 

Ive seen the Factory Mad guards and they're probably my current front runner... but the price is definitely keeping me open to exploring other solutions. It's not that they're not worth it, more that it cuts into my budget for other items. 

I'm amazed how much gear doesn't hold its value anymore and how much used stuff I can get for $350 for content purposes... 

so anyway... what are you wearing and why? 

What features are most important?

best protection - soft  - mobile - etc.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:38 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Not noticing them when I play and staying in place is my number one concern

protection would be a 2nd. 

Brian's Pro ( not the ones with the hug piece across the front)

They are soft around the knee, and are 2 piece instead of 3. Mine haven't been a slipping issue.

I wear SCAB skateboarding knee pads for the following reasons:  They give me the cushion and support I need for butterflying, they also give me some added height off the knee stack which relieves tension on the hips and ankles.  They have good wrap around coverage for the knee and even come up a little on the lower thigh.  They don't bother rotation, aren't too bulky, and stay in place with just a little tape.  The only traditional knee guards I have worn and actually liked were the Warrior Rituals.  Not too bulky and the padding for the knee itself is comfortable and sufficient.  I have a pair of the Bauer Supreme's that I have worn twice with sore knees both times from the lack of actual padding for the knee.  I also found them to be a little bulky compared to the Rituals.  It could just be me, but I tend to land on the insides of my knees when I butterfly and not straight up and down, so with out any padding I get bruised up pretty bad.  I think knee pads are something that depend on what you want/need them for. Some, such as myself, need more padding than protection so to speak, others want the bulkiest things they can find for coverage purposes and for some its all about thigh protection.  Personally, I don't take a lot of shots off the thigh that don't hit my pants, maybe one or two that I can remember over the last 6 months, so I don't worry about it much.  Although I'm sure the first time I get dinged in a soft spot my attitude will change.  My plan B is to wear some thin volleyball knee pads under the Supreme's, so I'll be protected and comfortable.

Brown 2400... I've always hated knee pads (used thigh wraps forever on my SP5000) but one solid puck to the top of my knee during a VH save got me into a set of these beauties from John.

Tried using Reebok and PAW in the past.  Super protective with lots of comfort.  The 2400 line also offers built in knee lifts, and I have had zero issues with slippage

On 7/14/2017 at 1:34 PM, jayluv54 said:

I wear SCAB skateboarding knee pads for the following reasons:  They give me the cushion and support I need for butterflying, they also give me some added height off the knee stack which relieves tension on the hips and ankles.  They have good wrap around coverage for the knee and even come up a little on the lower thigh.  They don't bother rotation, aren't too bulky, and stay in place with just a little tape.  The only traditional knee guards I have worn and actually liked were the Warrior Rituals.  Not too bulky and the padding for the knee itself is comfortable and sufficient.  I have a pair of the Bauer Supreme's that I have worn twice with sore knees both times from the lack of actual padding for the knee.  I also found them to be a little bulky compared to the Rituals.  It could just be me, but I tend to land on the insides of my knees when I butterfly and not straight up and down, so with out any padding I get bruised up pretty bad.  I think knee pads are something that depend on what you want/need them for. Some, such as myself, need more padding than protection so to speak, others want the bulkiest things they can find for coverage purposes and for some its all about thigh protection.  Personally, I don't take a lot of shots off the thigh that don't hit my pants, maybe one or two that I can remember over the last 6 months, so I don't worry about it much.  Although I'm sure the first time I get dinged in a soft spot my attitude will change.  My plan B is to wear some thin volleyball knee pads under the Supreme's, so I'll be protected and comfortable.

I'm with you

maybe my butterfly is wider than I give it credit for? But I don't have an issue where I feel like I need monster knee guards 

anyone use the G forms? Maybe that's what I need 

On 7/16/2017 at 11:04 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Any feedback on the Maltese?

Overpriced IMHO... Plus I've heard they're taking 12-14 weeks to supply collars... I can only imagine how long to get a set of KTP's.  The upside tho, compact.  Most guys wear them under hockey socks and you need tape or a garter belt to prevent them from sliding down.  I just wear my browns on top of my UA compression tights

I'm wearing the Passau knee guards. I absolutely love them. No gaps, very comfy, they never slide down and while they are bulky, they're not too bad. I take a piece of skate lace and tie them round every once in a while as they seem to flatten out over time. I wore the Reebok grey and black plastic knee cup ones and they were garbage. They opened up and left a tiny hole that the puck found...both knees. Got rid of them and haven't looked back.

I've had PAW knee pads for nearly four years. I like them and I don't notice them when I play. You can have them custom made to your specs. I had gel put in the landing area of the knee pads and the garter belt attachment. I also have a tie in tab in case I want to attach them to my pants. I've used them only with the garter belt attachment thus far and they don't move. Haven't had to use any tape or hockey socks over them. I recommend them. 

Irregadless of price and lead times how can any foam based only knee pad protect you from a puck? At best you need something like the Factory mad unit but at $350 that is way overpriced!

My son has been using a CCM Pro for nearly a year and he loves it, not sure how anyone can use anything less protective than that. I beleive he has no issues with it holding up/Vaughn/Warrior/Brians all have similar products.

I have used 

Bauer Supreme - landing on the hurt like heck, they stayed in place very but very short on landing padding

Brian's Pro's- great set just way too big. Padded well very comfortable to wear and land on.

Passau- Hated the design after wearing the 5 mins on the ice. The stuiped flap kept catching and turning the knee pads around. Tried them under socks and they still did it.  It was one purchase I wish I didn't do.

Currant CCM pros- Love the design they fit well zero slipping issues and protect is top notice. Also barely notice them when playing. Only change I did was remove the dumb screw on the inside of the knee because when  you land on it, it ****ing hurts bad. To me that is the only downside to the CCM pros.

I really want to get a set from Factory Mad, love the design and how well they are made but price wise I need to save up alot. With the cnd vs usd it around $450 for them. I never wore knee pads until 2 years ago around do it was hard finding the perfect pair, right now the CCM ones are working very well.

Snowman good summary I agree with your comments - I am however surprised about the screw comment on the CCM knee pads, will take a look at my sons set tomorrow.

As far as any product that doesn't have a rigid outer shell to dissipate an impact I don't understand anyone using them!

31 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Snowman good summary I agree with your comments - I am however surprised about the screw comment on the CCM knee pads, will take a look at my sons set tomorrow.

As far as any product that doesn't have a rigid outer shell to dissipate an impact I don't understand anyone using them!

Thanks, the screws are what does the hinging part on them. The outer one left in as it never bothers me but the inside knee one is what I took and replaced with skate lace. If I can pick up another set now cheap to have as backup or if they stop making them I will. Just kicking myself for not picking up the Factory made set I saw in ebay in December for $130.

I have narrow butterfly, so when I started using pads with open knee, I switched from Bauer Supremes to KOHO revolution 589 Pro (retail version of swiss carbon knee guards used by Giguere,Hiller..). They are realy bulky and can´t fit to every pads, but super protective. Got some real hard shots and no problem.

MS1322405.jpg

I use the Vaughn Velocity knee pad. A huge upgrade over the Cooper ones I used forever. The Vaughns are protective but not bulky. Plus they fit between the end of my pants and my pads. I don't like huge or big equipment so they match that preference pretty well.

8 hours ago, Fullright said:

I use the Vaughn Velocity knee pad. A huge upgrade over the Cooper ones I used forever. The Vaughns are protective but not bulky. Plus they fit between the end of my pants and my pads. I don't like huge or big equipment so they match that preference pretty well.

I can respect that and it's sorta how I feel. Maltese & PAW are the units that look steamed lined to me. 

I haven't taken a shot to the knee in like 5 years? Maybe my Bfly is wide than I think, haha...

but I want something, as "something is better than nothing"... but some of the units described on here seem way to bulky to me. I don't want to take on a set that are uncomfortable, a paid to put on, etc with just being pro active. 

Right now, I'm feeling like my pecking ordering is:

PAW

Maltease 

Factory Mad

On 7/17/2017 at 8:23 AM, bunnyman666 said:

I can't see how one wouldn't get bruises with that design. Even a little bit of HDPE on top would probably do wonders to prevent bruises. That's just me.  I am certain there are highly satisfied customers of those pads. They are just REALLY expensive for what they are in my blunt opinion. 

They all are when you think about it.  It's just segmented foam/gel that wraps around your knee with an attached thigh guard.  Not a lot of technology or breakthrough design going on there.  I don't understand the justification for the cost at all.  It certainly isn't in the materials.

On 7/18/2017 at 7:51 AM, jayluv54 said:

They all are when you think about it.  It's just segmented foam/gel that wraps around your knee with an attached thigh guard.  Not a lot of technology or breakthrough design going on there.  I don't understand the justification for the cost at all.  It certainly isn't in the materials.

Archived