What Knee Pads Do You Wear?

TheGoalNet

4 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Oddly enough when I had a pair of Bauer Reactors I don't recall having that issue either. Not sure what size they were but likely were oversized for me... and it's just recently I've noticed the V5s doing this. I dunno... maybe I'm spending too much time looking at Instagram and where the bottom of pants end up on those lucky guys who have managed to make a living between the pipes. Then again... I'm also just itching to buy some new gear. 

I am absolutely DREADING replacing these pants.  I've had them for well over a decade now and don't like how cumbersome most pants seem to be these days. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

I am absolutely DREADING replacing these pants.  I've had them for well over a decade now and don't like how cumbersome most pants seem to be these days. 

Totally agree and I can't put my finger on exactly why. I wear a large open knee so there is plenty of room back there for a pants to sit but they just seem to catch every now and then. Could be curvature of the Reactor pant vs. squared off w/ other brands/styles. 

Just now, BadAngle41 said:

Totally agree and I can't put my finger on exactly why. I wear a large open knee so there is plenty of room back there for a pants to sit but they just seem to catch every now and then. Could be curvature of the Reactor pant vs. squared off w/ other brands/styles. 

Yea that could be possible.  These are fairly form fitting.  I'd love to see how they compare to the new NHL reg pants.

On 7/14/2017 at 9:44 AM, TheGoalNet said:

So... I'm a freak show and don't do knee guards. I'm starting think to think I'm on barrowed time 

Ive seen the Factory Mad guards and they're probably my current front runner... but the price is definitely keeping me open to exploring other solutions. It's not that they're not worth it, more that it cuts into my budget for other items. 

I'm amazed how much gear doesn't hold its value anymore and how much used stuff I can get for $350 for content purposes... 

so anyway... what are you wearing and why? 

IMG_5659.JPG

IMG_5660.JPG

These are very interesting. What make are they?

Wore my Optik knee pads again the other day. No Lundy loop and not attached to the pads. Didn’t feel as good as the first skate, but definitely better than the time I ripped them out mid game. 

Might try them 1 more time attached and with the Lundy loop. Maybe the Lundy loop added some stability I didn’t pick up on? 

If that fails, I’ll get used to them unattached and go that route  

19 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

The knee pads them selves are comfortable. It's just getting used to wearing something I have not worn and how they interface with the pads. 

Gotcha. It'll be more of a getting used to type of ordeal. I went from nothing, to thigh wraps, to now knee pads. Going to the knee pads has taken me the longest time to get used to and I still don't feel 100% in them.

I buy a pair of knee guards every year almost, yet keep going back to my V5's because of them fitting better with my pads. I've tried Bauer NXG, CCM, Vaughn V7, a different Bauer one. All of them uncomfortable, or too bulky where it affected my pads when I butterflied. I'm left wondering why no company has come up with a slimmer/contour, yet efficiently padded knee guard yet. Even better, one that doesn't slide down every time too. .

Anyone have any recommendations? Preferable one that works with a garter belt.

I'm not actually sure who those Bauer pants with the built in knee are supposed to be for.

Like, the padding in those undergarments isn't near enough to forego a knee pad. And a good knee pad is going to be more than enough protection, in addition to being a nice cushion for the knee landing, all on it's own. 

I guess maybe if you're using a built in thigh board instead of a knee pad, they might provide some additional security? 

As far as my own knee pad goes, I'm using the Bauer Supreme guards (not the 1S version, the previous Supreme line). I've been very happy with them, apart from the durability (started coming apart after only a couple months of use). Protection on them has been great, and I find they stay up well enough on me, even without a belt or tape (worst case is they require a between-period adjustment). When I used a belt they held in place perfectly. 

Anyone have long-term experience with the Koho 589 Knee pads? Thinking of upgrading from my old Grey/Black RBK's (Which I do like), and these Koho's look great for my knee protection.

Would love to hear some opinions on them. And since I'm from Canada, ordering these would be a pretty penny, so I'd love some thoughts on them.

Forced myself to commit to the knee pads. 

I'm pretty comfortable with the ones included with Optik.

Took some tinkering and about 6-8 skates, but I will be in knee pads full time moving forward.

I came to realize that multiple pieces were connected in getting the knee guards dialed in. If I wanted them connected to the thigh rise, I found this worked best with the ludy strap tight 

If I wanted to ditch the Lundy loop, I need to disconnect them from the thigh rise 

I might try some other knee guards too moving forward... Warrior, Maltese, and maybe even Factory Mad

9 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Anyone have long-term experience with the Koho 589 Knee pads? Thinking of upgrading from my old Grey/Black RBK's (Which I do like), and these Koho's look great for my knee protection.

Would love to hear some opinions on them. And since I'm from Canada, ordering these would be a pretty penny, so I'd love some thoughts on them.

I'd go with Passau first.

Had the Koho's for about 6 months a couple of years ago;

Positives:

-Protection level is insane, can't imagine ever feeling anything, never mind getting hurt

-Width of the carbon plates takes up a lot of 5 hole space if you have a very narrow butterfly like me

-Landing area is thick foam and more cushioned than any knee pad I've tried, this also elevates you a bit higher in your butterfly too

-Strapping is pretty good (especially the tight lycra calf lock) meaning that they stay in place despite size

Negatives:

-Size, I used them with P4's with a wide open knee and even then it was a bit of a struggle to accommodate them, can't imagine you'd be able to use them in an older Vaughn or in a pad worn tight

-Depending on your level of play the protection level may be overkill. I play rec / beer league in the UK and ended up taking the carbon fibre plates off (which makes them slightly plusher versions of the old grey Rbks)

-You definitely need to wear socks or something over the top to keep the plates in place, otherwise they snag on knee blocks etc

-I wasn't convinced that the build quality was the best when I had them; the knee cups are actually plastic with a carbon effect paint (although the plates are actually some form of carbon fiber) and this chipped off quite a bit in the time I had them and the cup would also become unglued.

I've been in the gen2 Passaus for about 18 months now and to me they're like a slimmed down version of the Koho's with the clamshell design. I've never had an issue with them protection-wise, although you do still need to wear something over them to keep them in check.

On 11/26/2017 at 9:01 PM, raucebyalien said:

Had the Koho's for about 6 months a couple of years ago;

Positives:

-Protection level is insane, can't imagine ever feeling anything, never mind getting hurt

-Width of the carbon plates takes up a lot of 5 hole space if you have a very narrow butterfly like me

-Landing area is thick foam and more cushioned than any knee pad I've tried, this also elevates you a bit higher in your butterfly too

-Strapping is pretty good (especially the tight lycra calf lock) meaning that they stay in place despite size

Negatives:

-Size, I used them with P4's with a wide open knee and even then it was a bit of a struggle to accommodate them, can't imagine you'd be able to use them in an older Vaughn or in a pad worn tight

-Depending on your level of play the protection level may be overkill. I play rec / beer league in the UK and ended up taking the carbon fibre plates off (which makes them slightly plusher versions of the old grey Rbks)

-You definitely need to wear socks or something over the top to keep the plates in place, otherwise they snag on knee blocks etc

-I wasn't convinced that the build quality was the best when I had them; the knee cups are actually plastic with a carbon effect paint (although the plates are actually some form of carbon fiber) and this chipped off quite a bit in the time I had them and the cup would also become unglued.

I've been in the gen2 Passaus for about 18 months now and to me they're like a slimmed down version of the Koho's with the clamshell design. I've never had an issue with them protection-wise, although you do still need to wear something over them to keep them in check.

Thank you for this! Great breakdown of the Positives/Negatives. 

On 11/25/2017 at 2:26 PM, creasecollector said:

I have this pads for cca 2-3 years and can agree with everything raucebyalien wrote. But I had no problems with build quality yet. Yes, the foam inside of knee cups is glued, but holds quite well. I replaced laces that holds carbon plate - original was thin and "slippery" with tendecy to unlace (if it is clear what I mean :$). Protection is overkill for the game I play, but with my narrow butterfly... This knee pads are massive and surely only for pads with huge open knee area, when you do not use  velcro strap over your knee. Were designed for KOHO Revolution pads line and works well with them... I tried them in Vaughn Ventus pads - no way :(. 

Overall, realy happy with them, ordered second set (to use with KOHO pads). My other kneepads are Bauer 1S which I use with Ventus pads - bauer are no way that protective or comfy like KOHO.

I'm going to be in the market soon. My current setup is not great -- I wear very old/cheap Bauer knee pads that are small, fairly thin, and need to be taped to stay on at this point. I also wear the thigh guards that came on my Koho 580's. Neither are very protective, so I've been wearing them in combination for many years. It was actually a good setup for a while, but the elastic on the thigh guards is so shot that they're starting to sag and move. Since my new Keneskys are just around the corner, it's time for me to reconfigure my knee setup.

Knee protection is very important to me -- I've skimped on pants and C/A's in the past, and never minded a few stingers and bruises. But knees freak me out, and even the idea of having "just" knee guards (and not thigh guards on top of that) makes me a little apprehensive. I'm going to wait until my new pads come in and see what kind of coverage I need between them and my pants. I am interested in the Brians Pro and CCM Pro knee guards, but I'll have to see.

Archived