Got my VH skates!!!

bunnyman666

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First impressions: I probably tied my skates too tight at the top eyelet. Otherwise, at a Bedlam public session, the skates felt GREAT. Not hot spots on my heels, no weird pinches, no pain ANYWHERE on the foot. 

Stepping into the boot is weird. Wearing no socks is weird. I could have had a textile liner, which fits looser than clarino. 

So far, so GOOD.

6 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

What I meant was the size of the holder and runner. On a player skate I use a 272mm runner; on a goal skate, it ranges from 328-348mm depending on cowling design. Just no size on the holder is what I'm saying.

As an FYI- Step (from my understanding; could be wrong) selling goalie steel for other player holders, at least from what Antoine was saying. Ask for the "fat" blade. Again- I may have misunderstood him.

Bunnyman 

if you go onto the Step web site they have blades for the VH goalie skates! Both the one piece which is ID by the skate size and the two piece which is ID by the blade holder length, you might want to look very closely at both of your blade holders for a 3 digit # it might be hard to see?

13 hours ago, Big2 said:

Bunnyman 

if you go onto the Step web site they have blades for the VH goalie skates! Both the one piece which is ID by the skate size and the two piece which is ID by the blade holder length, you might want to look very closely at both of your blade holders for a 3 digit # it might be hard to see?

That's what I am having trouble finding!

Update: I dig the holder. I get good pushes. I will be shedding some more gear very soon.

I can play an hour and a half plus an hour of instructional hockey in these things and I don't tire from my feet killing me!!! Very much worth the $$$.

Now that the skates are sorted and I'm not fighting my pads, I can now get my vision sorted and I can play better. 

52 minutes ago, sebastiancp1 said:

For those who have ordered, is it possible to get a sewn-in tongue as opposed to the removable version? 

Here's my take: even though it is custom fit to your foot, I still call it a semi-custom skate.

Why?

Because I had asked for a few extra things and they did NONE of them. They are custom to your foot and the bit of jenpro is custom and that is it.

I don't think they would sew in your tongue is what I'm saying.

Crossed paths with the father of a goalie who has the 1 piece VH skate today. He informed me that his sons skates delaminated in the front end so he had to inject some adhesive to fix the issue, his sons skates are less than a year old!

Going for sharpening number two today and this time- I brought my tool. It is a special socket that is branded Step. Don't count on a shoppe to keep this in their stack of tools. I use my old Vaughn bag to keep my skates, tool, and soon enough- an extra set of steel.

If your preferred sharpener has the capability to sharpen the runner without being in the cowling/blade holder, taking out the runner is the best way to sharpen these.

I wonder if anyone has tried these new skates in that Sparx home sharpening system. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the new VH 2 peice and I'm super nervous about getting them sharpened here, and a buddy of mine has the Sparx system.

30 minutes ago, Alberta said:

I wonder if anyone has tried these new skates in that Sparx home sharpening system. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the new VH 2 peice and I'm super nervous about getting them sharpened here, and a buddy of mine has the Sparx system.

How does he like it?

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Going for sharpening number two today and this time- I brought my tool. It is a special socket that is branded Step. Don't count on a shoppe to keep this in their stack of tools. I use my old Vaughn bag to keep my skates, tool, and soon enough- an extra set of steel.

If your preferred sharpener has the capability to sharpen the runner without being in the cowling/blade holder, taking out the runner is the best way to sharpen these.

Why is it better to take the blade out of the holder for sharpening?

Archived