Got my VH skates!!!

bunnyman666

3 hours ago, mik said:

Really annoying, I hate if there is unnecessary little design flaw, which demages other part of equipment :(.

You're telling me! I hated that I had to take  the Mouse palm sander to a pair of nearly $900 skates! But they were going to destroy an even more expensive pair of pads.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

You're telling me! I hated that I had to take  the Mouse palm sander to a pair of nearly $900 skates! But they were going to destroy an even more expensive pair of pads.

Understand you very well - must do minor modifications on my ONE100 LE skates (cowling) some years ago - hated to repair design flaw on 600 $ Pro skates by myself.    

1 hour ago, mik said:

Understand you very well - must do minor modifications on my ONE100 LE skates (cowling) some years ago - hated to repair design flaw on 600 $ Pro skates by myself.    

Doesn't matter what they cost- it is ANNOYING AS HELL when you have to modify something in order to prevent it from destroying your equipment.

I may even go so far as to mould a fibreglass toe cap for these. I am a teeny bit squeamish about what damage I may have done despite being told I was not going to damage the toe cap by sanding off the ridge. We're not talking a thick over  toe cap, but enough to protect the toe cap a bit...

Stay tuned...

11 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I may even go so far as to mould a fibreglass toe cap for these. I am a teeny bit squeamish about what damage I may have done despite being told I was not going to damage the toe cap by sanding off the ridge. We're not talking a thick over  toe cap, but enough to protect the toe cap a bit...

Stay tuned...

I'm sure its fine as is.  Doesn't look like you removed enough material to damage anything.

How much room is there in the toe box? Would a guy be able to use adhesive toe warmers or would that likely end up being way too snug? Just looking at pictures of them, I am going to assume they aren't roomy the way my reebok 7k's and nexus player skates are.

10 hours ago, Nova said:

How much room is there in the toe box? Would a guy be able to use adhesive toe warmers or would that likely end up being way too snug? Just looking at pictures of them, I am going to assume they aren't roomy the way my reebok 7k's and nexus player skates are.

They are as tight as comfotably possible. There is padding in the toe box. Yes- their philosophy is to make a pair of stiff socks with a blade holder attached.

Fit-wise? Best skate ever.

11 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm sure its fine as is.  Doesn't look like you removed enough material to damage anything.

I'm certain I didn't.

Not gonna lie- a once attractive pair of skates is now marred because of a stupid design flaw that had to be dealt with.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I'm certain I didn't.

Not gonna lie- a once attractive pair of skates is now marred because of a stupid design flaw that had to be dealt with.

Maybe try spray painting it flat black so it all matches again?  At least its something you won't have to look at except for when you're putting them on or removing them.  Believe me though I do feel your pain.  It sucks to have to do something like that to a brand new set of skates.

On 3/11/2017 at 7:06 AM, bunnyman666 said:

They are as tight as comfotably possible. There is padding in the toe box. Yes- their philosophy is to make a pair of stiff socks with a blade holder attached.

Fit-wise? Best skate ever.

Hmmm, I have to admit going to VH is really tempting but from the reading I've done I'm not sure they'd comfortably accommodate heat packs. And as silly as it may sound, that would be a deal breaker for me. 

On 3/11/2017 at 9:16 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Maybe try spray painting it flat black so it all matches again?  At least its something you won't have to look at except for when you're putting them on or removing them.  Believe me though I do feel your pain.  It sucks to have to do something like that to a brand new set of skates.

Rather than painting, I would recommend polishing instead. You can get drill attachment type polishing equipment, some fine grit sandpaper and some rubbing compound. Or even a prepackaged headlight restoration kit would work. 

For anyone else who finds this ridge to be an issue, I think rather than removing the ridge it might be a better solution to level it out instead. Could either use some quick cure epoxy or something like a brush on work boot toe protectant. Just be sure to scuff up the area being filled so the material has something to adhere to. 

26 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's not a bad idea either.  Idk if that material looks like it could be polished though.  It looks like a matte rubber or plastic type of material.

With the way it sanded it appears to be a fairly hard plastic, and if it is hard plastic I can say with a fair amount of confidence that it can be polished. Won't look like factory, but would still be clean. 

6 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's not a bad idea either.  Idk if that material looks like it could be polished though.  It looks like a matte rubber or plastic type of material.

6 hours ago, Nova said:

With the way it sanded it appears to be a fairly hard plastic, and if it is hard plastic I can say with a fair amount of confidence that it can be polished. Won't look like factory, but would still be clean. 

Come to think of it, I could polish this. Thanks for the idea.

1 minute ago, bunnyman666 said:

When I emailed them, they just told me it was fine to smooth off that ridge.

Like I have said- I am impressed with the skate, but customer service has been meh.

That is ridiculous though. It should be "you can send it to us and we'll put a properly fitted cap on" or "You can sand it off so you won't have to send them to us." My experience with True reps hasn't been the best, they don't take criticism well and believe their product is the best there is and that is it... seems like VH and them are a good match.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:43 PM, Nova said:

What about tracing WITH the toe warmers on and pix with the toe warmers on? That way, they could possibly include those in the fit.

Just a thought.

47 minutes ago, Hills said:

That is ridiculous though. It should be "you can send it to us and we'll put a properly fitted cap on" or "You can sand it off so you won't have to send them to us." My experience with True reps hasn't been the best, they don't take criticism well and believe their product is the best there is and that is it... seems like VH and them are a good match.

I don't disagree.

The toe cap issue is too big to ignore, if you ask me.

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

When I emailed them, they just told me it was fine to smooth off that ridge.

Like I have said- I am impressed with the skate, but customer service has been meh.

That sucks.  Its a real shame to spend all that money on a product and then be left out in the cold when it comes to customer service.  

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That sucks.  Its a real shame to spend all that money on a product and then be left out in the cold when it comes to customer service.  

If it weren't the best feeling skate I have EVER had, I would be HOWLING a song that they wished they had never heard. I just hope it's more durable than I have been hearing as of late...

3 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

If it weren't the best feeling skate I have EVER had, I would be HOWLING a song that they wished they had never heard. I just hope it's more durable than I have been hearing as of late...

I'm sure you'll be ok.  At least this problem you're having is mostly cosmetic.

Archived