CCM Extreme Flex III Carey Price "LE" set review

jmw0097

First let me start off by saying that I'm a die-hard CCM guy. I've tried lots of different brands (Vaughn/Bauer/Brians) and in my opinion, CCM is the best. Now that I have that out of the way, I'll begin with how I started off the year. So I first decided to invest in the Carey Price limited Extreme Flex 3's that were released in September. I bought them in January and
started using them. The strapping setup was awesome, it was incredibly easy to power push, and the 25% weight reduction from the Eflex 2's was a very pleasant surprise. For the last 6-7 months, I've been skating for approximately 6-7 days a week and conditioning with Maria Mountain goalie training pro (which I highly recommend if you aren't currently doing her
program . It's amazing). Anyway, I expected the Price pads to last me about 1-2 seasons thinking "if they're made for 'Price' they'd better last me a while." And of course, "With our Carey Price Limited Edition Extreme Flex 3 Setup, you can suit up in the exact same gear that Price skates onto the ice with every single game." "It's quality," they said. "It'll last for about 1-2 seasons," they said. Well, as awesome as the pads were, and as well as
they slid, the weave material began to break down. It started in the boot, and then it wore down at the top of the thigh rise, and then it just started to straight up deteriorate. Plus, once the weave is wet, and unless it gets to dryout for awhile The blocker towards the thumb began to break off. Literally, BREAK off, and the glove began to lose some protection in the thumb. I really liked the price pads. I began to do some more research on all three materials that ccm uses on their lines of pads. Weave (emboss), Jenpro, and their hailed speedskin. Since I already experienced the side-effects of weave, I decided to research speedskin first. A lot of reasons why you would see pro returns in jenpro (take Bobrovsky for example) is that the speedskin slides TOO much. You may disagree with this if you're
5'7", 145 pounds. But when you're 6'2" 190 like Bob, you begin to see a difference. So I decided to move back to the tried-and-true jenpro that I've always used and I bought Michael Leighton's Extreme Flex III's from this past season. I just used them today for the first time and they are honestly amazing. This review was meant to warn anyone who is looking to order weave on their custom pads. It is not durable at all, and the reason why players like Carey Price, Mike Smith, and Dustin Tokarski continue to use weave material is because they get pads once a month. I don't know about most of you, but that isn't an option for me yet and I have to invest in what lasts which, in my opinion, is jenpro. 

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1308.PNG

IMG_2503.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

Thanks for the review and posting. The pics of the wear is very helpful. 

One note on the Speed Skin, I have a connection with someone I trust close to CCM. 

There's a lot of rumors about Speed Skin. 

Its my understanding that it is NHL legal. Some people have said it's not.

However, the jury is still out on the material's durability. As a result, the Canadian Lefevre factory has opted not to offer the material. All Canadian made pads are limited to Jenpro or weave. 

Speed Skin is considered a retail only option from the off shore plant. 

With that said, my contact does not work directly for CCM. CCM hasn't commented, so I take this explanation to be credible, but at the end of the day... I can't say it's 100% fact and it may not be the facts. 

I look at it this way... I get not every CCM athlete may like Speed Skin, but why are literally none of them using it? Bauer Athletes switched to OD1N because it slides better and Bauer converted many non Bauer guys because of how it slides. 

I've talked to people who have tested both OD1N and Speed Skin. I've yet to hear anyone say that Speed Skin is heads and shoulders above OD1N. That is the other reason I trust my source. 

I just find it odd that Speed Skin gives guys an advatange and they're not taking it. . . At a minimum, there's more to this story than Price says it slides too much! 

Yes I realize that, but the weave material begins to break down in my opinion because water gets in the crevices and begins to stretch the material out. Just a thought. I've never had a pad that's worn down that fast even though I play a lot.

3 hours ago, jmw0097 said:

Yes I realize that, but the weave material begins to break down in my opinion because water gets in the crevices and begins to stretch the material out. Just a thought. I've never had a pad that's worn down that fast even though I play a lot.

I haven't used weave since 580, but I do recall it wearing differently than regular Jenpro. Some of the individual little "shaped" pieces of weave used flake off. 

I don't know that it was worse or better, just a bit different 

ill be fascinated to see if your new set lasts longer 

On 7/29/2017 at 0:56 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I haven't used weave since 580, but I do recall it wearing differently than regular Jenpro. Some of the individual little "shaped" pieces of weave used flake off. 

I don't know that it was worse or better, just a bit different 

ill be fascinated to see if your new set lasts longer 

Yes i think it will. The pads already feel awesome!

• 1 year later...

Archived