2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Can someone shortly explain what the BOA is all about? (Sorry, don't have time to read the whole thread, watch videos, etc.)

It is a ratchet system that tightens the wrist strap down. You have to physically release it to loosen it’s hold. My old Sidi cycling shoes had something similar. 

@estogoalie - allows you to more securely lock your hand into place.

Wont come loose during a game 

cleaner look without a giant strap hanging out 

BOA is a universal system used in golf shoes, cycling shoes, hiking boots etc. Brian’s is the first company to use it in hockey, but it’s a very proven system 

Video is live on YouTube, link is below...

unfortunately, this was filmed live. I don't have the ability to edit it and I made a couple errors crossing FLY & FLX core in my dialog... the joys of life broadcasting! 

My pads are FLY core. There is also a FLX core.

FLX is more flexible in the thigh rise and lighter weight. This would line up more with the GNetik 

FLY is a stiffer pad that would be more a "butterfly" pad like the SZ line. This pad utilizes more HD foam than the FLX and is a couple ounces heavier because of the construction. 

I initially was going to order FLX, but after seeing the photos of Andy O'Connor's FLY, I changed my order because I loved the shape!!!

I'll post some pics tomorrow of the different features 

@coopaloop1234 - didn’t hit on that 

Was actually thinking about it and I might take one more crack at the pads video. Maybe even look at the others if it goes well. Trick will just be finding the time 

I will film this wide screen for YouTube and not do it live on IG. That will leave it formatted better for living on the site and YouTube long term. 

Like with everything, there are trade offs. IG live is great because people call ask questions in real time, people are watching live, but the formatting is locked to a cell phone in vertical orientation. 

YouTube is nice because the video can live into history. It’s also formatted for multiple devices and you can take a pause during the recording. Downside is that I don’t see video being a major focus longterm, so I won’t be committing to YouTube and building a worthwhile audience. There’s also tons of competition on there with professional camera men, so filming in IG gets the biggest bang for TheGoalNet.com

Im a big believer in “action leads clearity”. I never intended to do voice over videos, but early access to Optik warranted it! Tried a few things, understand the pros and cons of all the formats now, and have some best practices for making videos 

The pad flex is a great suggestion and I will encorpoate that... if I get time 

the only downfall is that you’ll need to listen to me drone on for another 40 mins... Get ya popcorn ready!!! 

Took another crack at it.

Aside from watching the video, do people find this version significantly more helpful? Is it worse? Any feedback is welcome 

It is worth redoing the glove & blocker in the same format?

Making these videos is sneaky time consuming, so please put a little thought into your responses!!!

On 10/18/2017 at 12:54 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Crazy open cuff... I guess it's still somewhat necessary to hopefully avoid a skate on the wrist or something (i dunno)... but otherwise could almost be removed.

I don't know about anyone else, but I use the cuff a surprising amount for rebound control.  My last game there were at least 3 instances of making a shoulder save and the rebound dropping down into the cuff of the blocker for a whistle.  Could just be the way I make those saves but it happens all the time.

Archived