2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/13/2018 at 12:53 AM, Bradlb said:

Nice looking set. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them. 

So far after a couple games I'm just thrilled with this set.  The key standouts for me would be:

1.) Blocker - well balanced, wrist movement is excellent and love the finger protection.

2.) Glove - this is the glove I've always dreamed about.  Catching is exceptional and if I get it in the basket it sticking.  I went with a "Game Ready" palm and happy I did because it closes like I've had the glove for six months.  Brian's does a really great job helping break in the glove for you.  

3.) Pads - the first thing you'll notice with the Optiks is how amazing they slide (all conditions).  Huge upgrade from my prior pads.  Secondly is the size, these pads are wider than my Warriors so I'm still getting used to them but the benefits have been better 5-hole coverage and better seal to the ice.  Having a firmer pad they form a very good seal in butterfly.  Finally, the looks.  The pads just look awesome and they offer such great colors and customization.

Overall, just love the new Brian's gear.  Of the 3 items I'm still trying to get accustomed to the pads and customizing my strapping for me.

Brian's Optik Goalie Pad Strapping Set Up Recommendations

Hi guys/girls,

I have question on strapping for the Optik pads.  Can people share how they are customizing their strapping?  I'd be interested to see how you set it up for your pads.  I'm having a hard time adjusting my straps to fit similarly to my last set.  For example, what set-up is best to facilitate the best pad rotation?  Secondly, I'm not sure how loose I should have my boot strap.

Thanks

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I actually almost did the SZ graphic exactly like yours for TGN spec. Hope you enjoy the new pillows. 

I wish I could take credit for the design of the SZ's but I bought them second hand. 

1 hour ago, Adam Cooper said:

Hi guys/girls,

I have question on strapping for the Optik pads.  Can people share how they are customizing their strapping?  I'd be interested to see how you set it up for your pads.  I'm having a hard time adjusting my straps to fit similarly to my last set.  For example, what set-up is best to facilitate the best pad rotation?  Secondly, I'm not sure how loose I should have my boot strap.

Thanks

I replaced my boot straps with the elastic straps from my old G2 pads; I don't think the webbing heel strap does much of anything and I was not impressed with the rotation/ankle feel of the Brian's toe strap. YMMV.

For the X-shaped calf inner strap pad thing, I loosened the ends of it and attach it to the very edge of the loop side velcro, so that it is flush with the edge (basically as loose as possible). The smaller strap that you can choose whether to attach to the knee flap or the calf - I attach it to the knee, going horizontally across the loop side velcro so the edge lines up with the edge at the bottom corner. This works very well for me: no slip-outs off the knee, no over-rotation, and the pads rotate cleanly in the butterfly and recovery.

I'll take some pictures when I get home and upload them to this post for more clarity.

2 hours ago, Adam Cooper said:

Hi guys/girls,

Thanks

For a looser fit, I switched from the X pattern on the calf, to go straight across. I also don't have a boot strap, and have my smart toe set to inset (see picture), so it's less stress on the hips. Hope that helps

IMAG2117.thumb.jpg.5230f7792a9babaf675fca48413b8103.jpg

15299674940483812271698265654955.thumb.jpg.8ce8d4272f540b9cb57a0d6f95887f94.jpg

12 hours ago, Adam Cooper said:

Hi guys/girls,

Thanks

For the boot strap I wear it tight and through the back hole of my 1S skates. This is on my GNETIK pro 2s though and I might change it when my OPT1Ks get here. Want to play with looser feeling.

• 3 weeks later...

So coming back into hockey and ordering some new custom gear, but I'm not sure how Brian's sizing is. I've worn Vaughn the whole time I've played goalie, but I really like what I see with the Optiks and am hoping to order some soon. My current 8 year old V4s are 32+1. My knee lands perfect, but I really wished I ordered at least a +2 as they seem short.

That said, I'm 5'4" with an ATK of 16 and size 6 skates. That puts me (according to Brian's fitting guide) in a 29/30, which seems way too small. Measured my V4s and I got these measurements: A - 15, B - 10, C - 8, which is all over the place on the guide.

I'd go to a store to try out pads, but there's really no store close to me and I don't really want to make a long trip to just try on pads, especially with gas prices being high atm. Can anyone more familiar with their sizing help me out here?

59 minutes ago, Droner said:

So coming back into hockey and ordering some new custom gear, but I'm not sure how Brian's sizing is. I've worn Vaughn the whole time I've played goalie, but I really like what I see with the Optiks and am hoping to order some soon. My current 8 year old V4s are 32+1. My knee lands perfect, but I really wished I ordered at least a +2 as they seem short.

That said, I'm 5'4" with an ATK of 16 and size 6 skates. That puts me (according to Brian's fitting guide) in a 29/30, which seems way too small. Measured my V4s and I got these measurements: A - 15, B - 10, C - 8, which is all over the place on the guide.

I'd go to a store to try out pads, but there's really no store close to me and I don't really want to make a long trip to just try on pads, especially with gas prices being high atm. Can anyone more familiar with their sizing help me out here?

Have your V4s shrank at all?

35 minutes ago, Droner said:

I have no clue. I assume that they would have though.

I'd think 31+1 or 30+1. Don't need a +2 as Brian's thigh rise is huge and they size slightly bigger than Vaughn or CCM. I work at a hockey store but we don't have any int OPT1K pads for me to check.

• 1 month later...

Curious if anyone else has had this with their knee blocks on their Optiks or if this is normal and I just didn't realize it.  The knee block doesn't sit flush to the outer most piece and creates a gap between the two pieces

20180817_225114.jpg

On 6/25/2018 at 5:59 PM, braedub90 said:

For a looser fit, I switched from the X pattern on the calf, to go straight across. I also don't have a boot strap, and have my smart toe set to inset (see picture), so it's less stress on the hips. Hope that helps

IMAG2117.thumb.jpg.5230f7792a9babaf675fca48413b8103.jpg

15299674940483812271698265654955.thumb.jpg.8ce8d4272f540b9cb57a0d6f95887f94.jpg

Nice idea, I’ve thought about testing that too

11 hours ago, CJ17 said:

Curious if anyone else has had this with their knee blocks on their Optiks or if this is normal and I just didn't realize it.  The knee block doesn't sit flush to the outer most piece and creates a gap between the two pieces

20180817_225114.jpg

Mine are like too. My P2s as well 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Jacob Musselman said:

Half my stuff has come in. Still waiting for the chesty and hopefully one small custom piece for the pads. They should come within the next few weeks.

the last pic is with another set that came in with mine, so we showed them both off.

Nice set. What's the custom piece you're waiting for?

Archived