Warrior Gear

bunnyman666

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

I'm sure @Kirk3190is the best fit to answer this officially... But velcro will always eventually wear out.  I have it on my vest for work and the fuzzy (loop) side always wears quicker.  But I'm using it 5-6 times a day, for a 12 hour shift.  Strapping for the pads is only happing 1-2 times, a few times a week max.  And I'm sure they're using high grade commercial hook and loop velcro.

All of which I'm assuming was wear tested for months before the product is launched.

Plus who keeps their gear long enough to wear out the velcro!?!?!?!

We've got original G3 test sets built in 2013 that are still going strong on their original velcro.  This has not been an issue for any sets both long term prototype or sets in the market.  One little tidbit I like to pass along to goalies is to always strap your pads up after you take them off.  As you carry them in/out of the rink, in/out of the car or toss them in your basement, it's good to have the velcros secured rather than open to catch against shirts, jerseys, carpet etc.  Small detail, but one that I think makes a big difference over time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kirk3190 said:

We've got original G3 test sets built in 2013 that are still going strong on their original velcro.  This has not been an issue for any sets both long term prototype or sets in the market.  One little tidbit I like to pass along to goalies is to always strap your pads up after you take them off.  As you carry them in/out of the rink, in/out of the car or toss them in your basement, it's good to have the velcros secured rather than open to catch against shirts, jerseys, carpet etc.  Small detail, but one that I think makes a big difference over time!

I've been doing this with my RGT's as well... Can't wait to get my custom set tho... If only someone at Warrior had some pull 9_9

Ok, got my first couple hours of ice time in the G3's this morning. 

First impressions: Very happy with them. I went in knowing that this was probably going to take an adjustment period to get comfy in, not just because the new pads but also because I'm moving from very soft pad to a much stiffer one. So the first hour was definitely awkward, but not as much as I had expected. Saturday mornings I play a game followed immediately by an adult skills clinic (I just fill a net for free), so it was a perfect opportunity to get accustomed to the new setup. By the end of the clinic I was definitely feeling a lot more dialed in.

My main impressions largely stem from the first time for me in a stiff pad, rather than anything specific to the G3 (though it could be that the G3 is a great pad to transition with). What struck me immediately is the stability I have in the butterfly now. My soft Simmons UL6's really didn't have much support, and so in the butterfly I could never really sit upright with my weight forward over my knees (I'd usually fall forward). So I was usually more slouched down and back, which meant that when I wanted to push out from the butterfly, the only part of the skate I could get leverage from was the heel. And this worked ok, but I really couldn't get a ton of power from it and really couldn't angle myself in a desired direction.

So the G3's are a massive difference here. When I actually got on the ice, I tried a few butterfly pushes and couldn't actually do them because I still had my weight backed up and was digging in my heel (and with the flat boot with no taper, the pad would slip out off the ice before my skate blade could find purchase). But I very quickly found that I could now comfortably move my weight forward, directly over my knees, and stay perfectly stable. Not only am I sitting up much taller, but now it's super easy to dig in with the toe of the skate and push from there. 

So right off the bat, my pushes and slides are hugely improved. Felt like I was rocketing around the crease, while having a lot more control. I'm not sure if it's the pad itself that slides so well, so much as it's the pad making my pushes so much better.  It's going to take some time to get used to though, I found I was frequently still not putting my weight where it should be. Will no doubt have to retrain a lot of that muscle memory. 

Beyond that, all the stuff everyone else talks about is pretty spot on. Super light weight. I love how rebounds just blast off the face of the pad, and with predictability. 

There was a bunch of small stuff I'll need to get used to. I normally rest my hands/gloves on the thigh rise of the my pads, and even will stay like that as I glide out into position for a play. But with the G3's, doing this just pushes the boot toe down into the ice rather than letting it naturally push up and off, which caused my skate to slip out a few times. Also because of the stiffer face of the pad and how much faster I can push, I had a few instances where driving aggressively into the post, rather than the pad compressing into the post to slow me down it would connect but my momentum would keep me moving and I'd pivot around the post. 

But that will all be part of the learning experience, and I'm happy to evolve my game. This definitely feels as much of a game changer to me as when I got my first real butterfly pads. We ended our clinic with a shootout, where I normally have supreme confidence but wasn't sure if the new gear might put in in some awkward spots. But went 17 for 18, and I felt super solid the entire run.

Definitely looking forward to getting more ice time in these guys. 

Also, about the Warrior Knee guards that came with my G3's. Tried them out in an earlier game this week and didn't love them. I'm replacing a pair of Bauer Supremes that, while bulky, have been really great (but the durability on them is horrible. Only took 1 month for them to start coming apart, and by now they are just barely holding together). I found the Warriors just moved around and slipped down too much, even while under my compression pants. 

I'm not a big fan on using garter belts  or tape, but I still wanted to see if I could keep the Warrior's more in place.

So I got a pair of compression pants with the velcro tabs for attaching socks. I found the tab on the back of the leg is in the perfect spot for the top knee pad strap to wrap over. When I tried this at home, it was almost perfect, however the elastic strap doesn't have a ton of support so it wound up bunching up at the bottom of the velcro tab. So I tried sewing in some extra velco right into the middle of the knee pad strap, so that when I wrap it around my leg, it will sandwich together perfectly with the velcro tab on the compression pants. 

And on the front of the knee pads, I laced in a small velcro loop to the little leather tab so that I can sandwich that into the front velco tab on the pants. 

After my 2 hour play session this morning, I'm very happy with how this turned out. With the top knee pad now anchored in at 2 spots, it is absolutely locked in spot, didn't budge at all. Felt just like part of my leg, didn't notice them at all. And since it's just a little velco, it goes on and off just as fast as the unmodified knee guards, no need to fuss with tape or a garter belt. 

41 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

Also, about the Warrior Knee guards that came with my G3's. Tried them out in an earlier game this week and didn't love them. I'm replacing a pair of Bauer Supremes that, while bulky, have been really great (but the durability on them is horrible. Only took 1 month for them to start coming apart, and by now they are just barely holding together). I found the Warriors just moved around and slipped down too much, even while under my compression pants. 

I'm not a big fan on using garter belts  or tape, but I still wanted to see if I could keep the Warrior's more in place.

So I got a pair of compression pants with the velcro tabs for attaching socks. I found the tab on the back of the leg is in the perfect spot for the top knee pad strap to wrap over. When I tried this at home, it was almost perfect, however the elastic strap doesn't have a ton of support so it wound up bunching up at the bottom of the velcro tab. So I tried sewing in some extra velco right into the middle of the knee pad strap, so that when I wrap it around my leg, it will sandwich together perfectly with the velcro tab on the compression pants. 

And on the front of the knee pads, I laced in a small velcro loop to the little leather tab so that I can sandwich that into the front velco tab on the pants. 

After my 2 hour play session this morning, I'm very happy with how this turned out. With the top knee pad now anchored in at 2 spots, it is absolutely locked in spot, didn't budge at all. Felt just like part of my leg, didn't notice them at all. And since it's just a little velco, it goes on and off just as fast as the unmodified knee guards, no need to fuss with tape or a garter belt. 

I've been on the ice twice with my G3s and I found that the straps on my knee pads aren't the same length, resulting in the right kneepad lower portion sliding down my shin. The one that stays in place is great, I'm just going to have to shorten some straps on the other.

3 hours ago, Korppi32 said:

What happened to your glove? That´s quite bad.

My gloves are totally wear free. There is some minor wear areas in pads. 

rap.jpg

pat.jpg

The only reason I can think of that happening is because I push in my tee with my blocker everytime I get set. Aside from that, it's not like that area sees any contact with ice or posts, so it's the only conclusion I could come up with. 

I'm definitely not too thrilled about the wear. 

On 10/02/2018 at 3:46 PM, insertnamehere said:

I've been on the ice twice with my G3s and I found that the straps on my knee pads aren't the same length, resulting in the right kneepad lower portion sliding down my shin. The one that stays in place is great, I'm just going to have to shorten some straps on the other.

They are adjustable on both sides, you make sure those are in the same place before changing the strap sizes? I ask because I know a lot of people aren't aware of that.

Ok, this might stir up the tank but I gotta ask...

I'm looking at gear on Pro Hockey Life and comparing prices. The SR warrior pads are $999 whereas the Pro SR is $1949. That's nearly double. I know the shops set their own markup but the prices are pretty standard to what I quoted wherever you look. So I ask you this (Warrior), I, being aware that there is a slight difference in the internals used to fabricate the Pro model, are the materials used that much more expensive to justify the huge gap between the SR and Pro stuff? And don't feel like you're the only one I'm questioning here. Vaughn, CCM, Bauer - they all are doing the same thing.

Just curious to know, understand.

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

I'm looking at gear on Pro Hockey Life and comparing prices. The SR warrior pads are $999 whereas the Pro SR is $1949. That's nearly double. I know the shops set their own markup but the prices are pretty standard to what I quoted wherever you look. So I ask you this (Warrior), I, being aware that there is a slight difference in the internals used to fabricate the Pro model, are the materials used that much more expensive to justify the huge gap between the SR and Pro stuff? And don't feel like you're the only one I'm questioning here. Vaughn, CCM, Bauer - they all are doing the same thing.

Stir up indeed....

On 2/19/2018 at 12:39 AM, ULTIMA said:

Stir up indeed....

It's a legitimate consumer question. Is HD foam that much more expensive than LD? Is 1/8 of extra padding that more expensive? There aren't that many more bells and whistles that separate the pro and senior retail products. I could understand going from a grand to $1500, but near double the price is big.

I would post these same questions in the Vaughn or CCM or Bauer threads but they don't have a rep there to answer questions. I exclude the Brian's threads cause they have a multiple various product line unlike the Warrior and a fore mentioned brands that carry entry, senior and pro level of the same model.

I cannot be the only one who has thought this and wonders why.

If they don't want to answer the question, it's their prerogative.

I'm simply asking.

54 minutes ago, RichMan said:

It's a legitimate consumer question. Is HD foam that much more expensive than LD? Is 1/8 of extra padding that more expensive? There aren't that many more bells and whistles that separate the pro and senior retail products. I could understand going from a grand to $1500, but near double the price is big.

I would post these same questions in the Vaughn or CCM or Bauer threads but they don't have a rep there to answer questions. I exclude the Brian's threads cause they have a multiple various product line unlike the Warrior and a fore mentioned brands that carry entry, senior and pro level of the same model.

I cannot be the only one who has thought this and wonders why.

If they don't want to answer the question, it's their prerogative.

I'm simply asking.

I'm not a rep, I'm not an expert in that stuff. But I am privy to some information regarding the mark up on pad sales from the factory to the dealer. And based on what I know about those costs, I find it grossly unfair how much a consumer has to pay for any level of gear. Those number lead me to believe that material costs (at whatever level) are NOT that much.

To summarize, consumers are somewhat getting hosed.

On 18/02/2018 at 9:36 PM, RichMan said:

I couldn't justify the price difference, especially when the G3 SR pads were on sale at $699(Canadian)when I bought them. The difference doesn't seem that great. 

Edited by insertnamehere

1 hour ago, insertnamehere said:

I couldn't justify the price difference, especially when the G3 SR pads were on sale at $699(Canadian)when I bought them. The difference doesn't seem that great. 

When I visited Goalie Monkey in Montreal, they pushed the SR warrior gear on me.

They felt it’s the best “bang for your buck” and that it’s barely different from the pro line 

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

When I visited Goalie Monkey in Montreal, they pushed the SR warrior gear on me.

They felt it’s the best “bang for your buck” and that it’s barely different from the pro line 

Holding them side by side, the senior pads were definitely a bit softer, but not excessively so. I can't believe how good they are for the relatively inexpensive price. 

4 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

With the G4's launching soon, it looks like pretty much everyone is out of stock of the G3 replacement elastic strap Kits (at least for Sr. Sizing).

@Kirk3190, I'm under the impression that the G4 strap kits are the same as the G3's. Any idea when those will become available? 

Correct - Strap kits for G3, GT, G4 are universal across all three models.  When more will be available depends on each store's order.  I would expect more to hit shelves in May.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RichMan said:

Question: Does the bump in the boot chanel affect the measurements (F2K) when sizing up for pads? According to mine (21"), I should be a 36+, but that bump in the photo looks like a boot riser...??

Not really. In most cases the heel strap plays a bigger factor in how the pad fits/sits on your leg.  In a tight setting where you put the heel strap below your skate/cowling could lower the knee a little bit.  In a loose setting positioned behind your boot/loop  would lift the pad and sit a little higher on your leg.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Question: Does the bump in the boot chanel affect the measurements (F2K) when sizing up for pads? According to mine (21"), I should be a 36+, but that bump in the photo looks like a boot riser...??

Not really. Either their measuring takes it into account or it doesn't matter. My 19.6" works with the 33" pads I have.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RichMan said:

IMG_20180314_093054.thumb.jpg.9476662a8095cd4a9d20983586e21174.jpg

Not at all... The bump looks bigger due to the angle of how I snapped that pic.  Its more of a pad to fit the contour of the skate.  I run my boot strap thru my lundy loop and have had zero fit issues with Warrior pads vs Passau or Smith that I had before.

• Like 1

They definitely sit a little higher on your leg. I was on ice with another goalie and compared my G3's to his Eflex 2's. My G3's were easily an inch or two higher. 

After we got off the ice we put the pads side by side and they were identical in height. So on ice the pad is just sitting up a lot higher on my boot. 

That being said, that must all be taken into account with the measurements as the pad fits me perfectly. 

5 hours ago, Puckducker said:

They definitely sit a little higher on your leg. I was on ice with another goalie and compared my G3's to his Eflex 2's. My G3's were easily an inch or two higher. 

After we got off the ice we put the pads side by side and they were identical in height. So on ice the pad is just sitting up a lot higher on my boot. 

That being said, that must all be taken into account with the measurements as the pad fits me perfectly. 

So did you go a size lower or stuck with the chart's recommendations?

14 hours ago, RichMan said:

So did you go a size lower or stuck with the chart's recommendations?

Measurements were pretty spot on if I recall. But I was also able to go into the store to try on different sizes so I didn't rely too much on the chart. But overall I believe what I landed on was the sizing recommendation. 

I did go down a size from my Simmons UL6's. The Simmons i was a 36+2, but for the G3's I'm now in a 35+1.5.