Warrior Gear

bunnyman666

On 8/31/2017 at 9:48 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@SaveByRichter35 - why Warrior over anything like Brian's, CCM, etc?

Oh I'm not set on anything.  I just like the simplicity of the RGT graphic and have always loved how thin profiled Smith/Warrior gear is.  This is why I'm obsessed with the new Optik as well.  I have a newborn at home now so unless I can find someone to buy my Acura RSX it's likely all pipe dreams at this point lol.  

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Oh I'm not set on anything.  I just like the simplicity of the RGT graphic and have always loved how thin profiled Smith/Warrior gear is.  This is why I'm obsessed with the new Optik as well.  I have a newborn at home now so unless I can find someone to buy my Acura RSX it's likely all pipe dreams at this point lol.  

I didn't see anything in your resale rules about listing cars... 

i know one place you could list it! 

46 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Have you received it yet?????

No... stupid Labour Day weekend F'd me... hoping tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

Popped into my LHS this morning... must say I much prefer the feeling of the RGT glove vs the G3.  Feeling and closure seemed better... and closer to the old Smith line of gloves.

31 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

No... stupid Labour Day weekend F'd me... hoping tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

Popped into my LHS this morning... must say I much prefer the feeling of the RGT glove vs the G3.  Feeling and closure seemed better... and closer to the old Smith line of gloves.

The R/GT gloves definitely feels better. The G3 feels really thick and spongey to me in comparison.

On 9/5/2017 at 3:31 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Have you received it yet?????

Purolator came on Friday but I was at work so I finally picked them up today...

Initial thoughts... SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LIGHT!!!  I thought my previous Passau's that were stripped right down were light... but these seem like feathers compared to them.

Glove is game ready out of the box... and very comfy.  I came from a Smith 2000/5000 then NOTHING but TPS/WGD, but the RGT feels great on the hand.  Blocker is a blocker!

Loving the strapping system on the pads as well.  My Passau's were all elastic so the sling wrap system on these is perfect.  I'm planning to swap out the skate lace on the toe ties for my own shock cord toe system.

@Kirk3190 and Pete and the rest of the folks at Warrior knocked this line out of the park!

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0320.MOV

• Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 0:01 PM, cwarnar said:

Loving the strapping system on the pads as well.  My Passau's were all elastic so the sling wrap system on these is perfect.  I'm planning to swap out the skate lace on the toe ties for my own shock cord toe system.

Not going to give the elastic strap that comes with them a try?

1 minute ago, cwarnar said:

The ARS strap for the RGT's is not included... must be bought separately.  I would love to try it, but am very comfortable with shock cord based products

Whoever is telling you that is wrong.

https://www.warrior.com/GTLPP7-M.html?dwvar_GTLPP7-M_color=White with Black#color=White with Black

Straight from their website, ARS straps are included.

You got the knee pads too right?

2 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Sr knee pads... I'm wondering if the ARS toe thing has to do with the pads being a demo set?

That may make sense. Still irks me that they didn't include them anyways if that's the case.

My SR R/GT's came with the toe ARS straps. Don't see why the Pro's wouldnt.

Edited by coopaloop1234

21 hours ago, cwarnar said:

@Kirk3190 Can you confirm if the ARS is included in all RGT pads?

All R/GT leg pads come with free knee guards in the laundry bag.  There should be ARS toe straps included in the laundry bag as well.  If I am following the thread correctly, the leg pads were demos?  If this is true, it's likely the ARS toe straps got lost during the several uses the pads had.  I would check with the retailer you purchased them from to see if they might have the straps in the back somewhere.  If not, let me know and I will do my best to get you a set.

On 9/11/2017 at 0:25 PM, cwarnar said:

@Kirk3190 Can you confirm if the ARS is included in all RGT pads?

My set of R/GT Pros also came with the ARS straps in the laundry bag along with the SR knee pads.

If you can get a set, give them a try. I too am a shock cord user on my other pads, but the ARS are so darn quick and easy to put on in the locker room its awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my RGT set on the ice last night... first impressions...

Crazy light... even the guys in the room couldn't believe how light the pads were.  Glove is money... snap shut closure right out of the box.  That being said, It's going to be an adjustment moving from my WGD Summit to the one piece RGT.  Had a few pucks deflect off the thumb area, as the difference in shape will take some getting use to.

The pads slide very well, almost too well in some cases.  I over slid a few times and it cost me a few goals... but its really effortless.

I don't think Warrior products integrate well with shock cord based toe straps.  I'm going to move back to the Skate Lace for now until I can source some ARS toe straps.  I think rotation was affected by the shock cord as the pads were under rotating a hair.

I found the pads a little more "floppy" on my legs, vs what I'm use to.  My Passau set had a closed and tight leg channel so these are very loose compared to them.  A "professor" type strap at the knee would help my leg feel more connected to the pad.  I ran the sling wrap down to the knee and had the calf wrap as snug as it would go.  I ran the ARS boot strap thru the rear most cut out in my cowling as well.  I may try my Lundy Loop next skate.

Blocker is a blocker.  I found the stick opening between thumb and index finger a little tight as well, but that should stretch out with more use.  

Finally, the knee block was somewhat stiffer than I like.  My previous Smith 6000's had a homemade poron XRD stack I made myself and my Passau's had a maltese landing.  I may try and soften up the block if it doesn't naturally soften while I break them in.

Overall I love the set, and am happy to be back Pete's gear!

• Like 1

@cwarnar

Glad to see you like them. They have quite a bit to tinker with despite the seemingly lack of straps. You may want to try doing the knee strap across the knee instead of down to the calf. That may help, as well, a tighter boot strap on these will help too.

I went the opposite route. Knee strap down to calf (just enough so all the velcro touches and that's it), calf wrap to second stitch line, boot strap as loose at it will go and I removed the calf wrap from the calf landing area. Made the pad feel more free on my leg.

I found the same issue for the blocker as well, just loosen up the velcro tab for the index finger a bit and you'll notice a large difference. Padding still sits on the paddle and protects your finger, but allows it to move when you need it to and feels less constricting.

Knee block won't soften up really. It's going to be like that for at least a while (i've been in my pads for 6 months now)

On 10/15/2017 at 11:29 AM, cwarnar said:

Finally got my RGT set on the ice last night... first impressions...

Crazy light... even the guys in the room couldn't believe how light the pads were.  Glove is money... snap shut closure right out of the box.  That being said, It's going to be an adjustment moving from my WGD Summit to the one piece RGT.  Had a few pucks deflect off the thumb area, as the difference in shape will take some getting use to.

The pads slide very well, almost too well in some cases.  I over slid a few times and it cost me a few goals... but its really effortless.

I don't think Warrior products integrate well with shock cord based toe straps.  I'm going to move back to the Skate Lace for now until I can source some ARS toe straps.  I think rotation was affected by the shock cord as the pads were under rotating a hair.

I found the pads a little more "floppy" on my legs, vs what I'm use to.  My Passau set had a closed and tight leg channel so these are very loose compared to them.  A "professor" type strap at the knee would help my leg feel more connected to the pad.  I ran the sling wrap down to the knee and had the calf wrap as snug as it would go.  I ran the ARS boot strap thru the rear most cut out in my cowling as well.  I may try my Lundy Loop next skate.

Blocker is a blocker.  I found the stick opening between thumb and index finger a little tight as well, but that should stretch out with more use.  

Finally, the knee block was somewhat stiffer than I like.  My previous Smith 6000's had a homemade poron XRD stack I made myself and my Passau's had a maltese landing.  I may try and soften up the block if it doesn't naturally soften while I break them in.

Overall I love the set, and am happy to be back Pete's gear!

Different animal completely, but I had similar issues with my 1S. I modded the pads to give them a tight fight. 

With stock strapping, leaving the knee velcro up at the knee was the only way I could get them to work. My knee literally missed the landing any other way. I even sold my XLs and moved to a M because of the issue.