Glove break in technique

Big2

So as I said on the Brians section I looked up the best way to break in. A new goalie glove - most if not all reference a hot water technique! Would you all recommended this technique or do you have any other ideas?

I just taped shit my sons glove following his first outing - will open it back up on Sat and will probably try this technique!

13 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Unfortunately, we couldn't convert Keeps. I believe @SaveByRichter35 Tried? 

Yes I told him about the website.  He said he doesn't have time for message boards at the moment but would check it out when he could.

3 hours ago, goalie said:

Gloves are so game ready now. Best to put in the skate oven when you buy it, loosen it up and get the shape you want. Get a weighted puck toss it in for a couple hundred times. After a couple practices, broken in.

No need for all that water mess.

Hmmmm...pour some hot water on my glove, close it how I like it, wrap it in a towel and sit it in front of a fan to dry...or...throw a puck at it a couple hundred times.  Yea, that's a tough choice to make :eyeroll:.  

32 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yes I told him about the website.  He said he doesn't have time for message boards at the moment but would check it out when he could.

Hmmmm...pour some hot water on my glove, close it how I like it, wrap it in a towel and sit it in front of a fan to dry...or...throw a puck at it a couple hundred times.  Yea, that's a tough choice to make :eyeroll:.  

ok 50 times and 3 practices.

Hot water will loosen it up, but not make it form to the way you want it to close.

17 minutes ago, goalie said:

Guess it works. I just don't understand how this method forms to the mechanics of the way your hand closes.

You pour hot water into the glove, loosening everything up similar to using an oven.  You put your hand inside and close it the way you want it closed.  You remove your hand and wrap the glove tightly in a towel and set it in front of a fan(I also used my dehumidifier).  Glove comes out nice and floppy.

I've had decent success just leaving it in my bag after I use it so let the warm sweat stay in longer. I guess it's the same as the hot water / steam methods above. I just keep my bag packed a day in the garage so that the glove it in the closed position the whole time.

Not only do you get the flex - you get that broken in stink sooner too. Now it's game ready!

Well after one outing and the keeps33 technique the glove is nearly game ready - my son was on the ice yesterday as well but I did not have the chance to tape the glove shut as I typically do when their new (my old break in process) but I will do the keeps 33 technique again and let it dry taped shut!

Glove should be game ready after that - I will try and post a short video by the weekend!

Highly recommend this technique to all.

What are your thoughts on using this method on a glove with Nash material on the palm? I have a relatively new old stock Brian's Theif glove with the black Nash palm on the catching surface. I can't get this thing broken in using weights or simple manipulation and want to try the hot water method. I'm just concerned about destroying the Nash.

• 7 months later...
40 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Here’s how I break my gloves in. As soon as I’m done skating, I throw the stretcher in there overnight. Next day, I pop that out and tie it up. I alternate this every couple days. 

879A0A97-99E0-4539-A0BC-D07E83624172.jpeg

779A1A8F-B4F3-4F17-A5AB-2A3C88230C38.jpeg

1D22936C-2E47-4E6B-8BF2-EA20DA0A37F6.jpeg

I practice the same... open the back and stretch the pocket during drying... tie up afterwards. Takes longer than some other methods but I feel like I'm not abusing the materials by forcing them prematurely like some other methods do. 

• Like 1

I always get a kick out of people referring to the "keeps method" as if he discovered or invented it. Maybe it's just that he's got the only YouTube video that actually describes how to do it? 

Anyway, because my palm had maltese in it, just wrapping it wasn't sufficient. I used a clamp right on the break after every skate to help break it in. I've never used a stretcher before though. I always see photos of peoples gloves with one in the pocket. I've never quite figured that one out. My glove opens just fine. It's the closing that I have a hard time with. 

2 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Forgive me, but I can't ignore the irony of a picture in a "breaking in my gloves" thread having the "GAME READY" tag so conspicuously displayed  :giggle:

image.png.c4f4333c907dab08c89f81b476f626d7.png

Sorry - as you were , gentlemen...

It's "Game Ready" if you play Lundqvist blocking style or something.

5 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Forgive me, but I can't ignore the irony of a picture in a "breaking in my gloves" thread having the "GAME READY" tag so conspicuously displayed  :giggle:

image.png.c4f4333c907dab08c89f81b476f626d7.png

Sorry - as you were , gentlemen...

I mean you could technically be ready for a game with it...

2 minutes ago, oncogene said:

It's "Game Ready" if you play Lundqvist blocking style or something.

"blocking style" ... is that what they're calling his inability to catch a puck?

• Haha 3

Did the keeps method twice on my glove. 5 minutes on the outside where it closes and bended the seams a little so it could naturally close it how I wanted. 5 minutes on the inside of the glove. After the 1st time I put it in the oven at about 180 degrees for about 5 minutes as wide as it can go without touching anything. 

After every game and practice I roll up one of my game socks, put it into the pocket and tape it shut. Don’t ever dry it out when it’s shut if you have a lot of time in between games/practices so it stays damp.  After that I really wouldn’t do the keeps method at all just so it doesn’t worsen the protection. 

Edited by southpawtendy48