Glove break in technique

Big2

On 4/17/2018 at 11:09 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Got a tip for the Hot Glove wrap, way better than a lace 

Hot Glove Deluxe Glove Wrap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I5L9EY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oBR1Ab9RPNRBA

$7 well spent 

On 4/17/2018 at 11:51 PM, Aquilzz said:

Glad I could help! :) 

Added to Cart. Should be so much better than lacing. Thanks Fellas!! 

On 5/29/2018 at 1:34 PM, MTH said:

The taped up channel locks... so ghetto yet so great. 

The ghetto-ness runs deep?

UPDATE: so I used the channel locks along the “crease” approx. at each finger stall and can say this has definitely sped up the process. Did this for a few days then back to alternating between stretcher and hot glove wrap (with a few tennis balls in the pocket). Much snappier than its ever been. See video:

227E5981-858A-4BF4-89BD-5DAAABA3787A.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 4/16/2018 at 10:33 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Here’s how I break my gloves in. As soon as I’m done skating, I throw the stretcher in there overnight. Next day, I pop that out and tie it up. I alternate this every couple days. 

879A0A97-99E0-4539-A0BC-D07E83624172.jpeg

779A1A8F-B4F3-4F17-A5AB-2A3C88230C38.jpeg

1D22936C-2E47-4E6B-8BF2-EA20DA0A37F6.jpeg

46812FE0-F404-4FEF-84E0-27EDBA7AE382.jpeg

83A2413F-1D56-4F05-AD8E-377554A47908.jpeg

0C2F68AC-AD2E-4D07-94FB-C05A2F001348.jpeg

Happy to the stay the alternating between stretch and open is working great! 

CCM closes great now 

41 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Happy to the stay the alternating between stretch and open is working great! 

CCM closes great now 

Almost verbatim here as well... takes a bit longer... but love how it feels. I did pick up a Hot Glove... which does work better than just tying it up w/ a skate lace or something. As for a stretcher... I just cut down a piece if shaft from a broken stick after measuring how large the opening is. Worth the time.

Yeah, I would also say this is a "non-stop" method. I will probably continue to do with gloves as long as I own them. 

I usually stretch it for a day or two after I skate and then use the hot glove. I have started to put a hockey sock int he pocket instead of the whiffle ball. This makes the pocket more full. 

26 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yeah, I would also say this is a "non-stop" method. I will probably continue to do with gloves as long as I own them. 

I usually stretch it for a day or two after I skate and then use the hot glove. I have started to put a hockey sock int he pocket instead of the whiffle ball. This makes the pocket more full. 

better than hot boxing the glove . . .

I've never done the stretching out. I always see photos of gloves with something jammed in there. I never saw the need.

Closing it on the other hand... well... my glove has maltese in it, which makes it MUCH harder to get a good break. I ended up using a clamp right on the break after every skate thanks to the advice from Tim at Passau. Worked like a charm. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 11:19 PM, dstew29 said:

The ghetto-ness runs deep?

UPDATE: so I used the channel locks along the “crease” approx. at each finger stall and can say this has definitely sped up the process. Did this for a few days then back to alternating between stretcher and hot glove wrap (with a few tennis balls in the pocket). Much snappier than its ever been. See video:

227E5981-858A-4BF4-89BD-5DAAABA3787A.jpeg

D1F8BDAF-8C75-487C-99A3-E60AAFB6A6CD.MOV

is that Varlamov pro return?

9 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

@Max27 good eye. A guy on Sideline Swap gets a bunch of his returns. Grabbed one a few months back and been very happy w it.

yeah ik who youre talking about. i think their name is like SNFrishman or something like that. He told me he has connections to some sports teams and gets a lot of their pro stock gear. only thing abt that being varlys glove is thats a 2 piece and varlys glove is a 1 piece. @dstew29 is that a demo from him or just his colorway?

this is a pic of his 1 piece, which means its likely a demo glove from him trying a 2pc or just an ef3 glove in his colorway

Screenshot 2018-08-06 at 9.21.21 PM.png

Edited by Max27

On 8/6/2018 at 9:20 PM, Max27 said:

yeah ik who youre talking about. i think their name is like SNFrishman or something like that. He told me he has connections to some sports teams and gets a lot of their pro stock gear. only thing abt that being varlys glove is thats a 2 piece and varlys glove is a 1 piece. @dstew29 is that a demo from him or just his colorway?

this is a pic of his 1 piece, which means its likely a demo glove from him trying a 2pc or just an ef3 glove in his colorway

Screenshot 2018-08-06 at 9.21.21 PM.png

Yeah, that's the same guy I've bought from. Good seller and very honest (imo) w/r/t the gear I've got from him.

I see what you mean. He must be using both - or maybe he's now using a 1-piece only? Not sure but my set is exactly like the ones he has on in this game pic (2-piece EF3 glove and same blocker w/ same colorway/zones ).

Image result for avalanche semyon varlamov

5 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

Yeah, that's the same guy I've bought from. Good seller and very honest (imo) w/r/t the gear I've got from him.

I see what you mean. He must be using both - or maybe he's now using a 1-piece only? Not sure but my set is exactly like the ones he has on in this game pic (2-piece EF3 glove and same blocker w/ same colorway/zones ).

Image result for avalanche semyon varlamov

ah cool. valry needs to match a set holy crap lol blue logo on the pads purple logos on the blocker and a colored glove

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just wanted to share this. Breaking in this 1X glove has been horrible. Calling this “game ready” out of the box is criminal...

I’ve been alternating between spreading and wrapping with the hot glove. I also recently relaced the pocket loosely with skate lace. Anyway, after struggling with making my own spreaders, I realized I have a heavy-duty mechanical option.

Behold, the ultimate spreader:

EF8C1644-1B2C-499E-9441-ABCDD3491A6F.thumb.jpeg.778a7f3a5297152b1c100470a04d96fb.jpeg

There are lots of these clams/spreaders on the market, but this one with the trigger design lets me get a ton of travel. Who knows whether its safe to do this on the glove, but I am easily getting 1-2” if not more of extra “spread” over dowel rods, etc. 

Will keep alternating with wrapping of course. Hoping this makes a difference...

• 1 year later...
On 3/29/2019 at 4:04 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

Just wanted to share this. Breaking in this 1X glove has been horrible. Calling this “game ready” out of the box is criminal...

I’ve been alternating between spreading and wrapping with the hot glove. I also recently relaced the pocket loosely with skate lace. Anyway, after struggling with making my own spreaders, I realized I have a heavy-duty mechanical option.

Behold, the ultimate spreader:

EF8C1644-1B2C-499E-9441-ABCDD3491A6F.thumb.jpeg.778a7f3a5297152b1c100470a04d96fb.jpeg

There are lots of these clams/spreaders on the market, but this one with the trigger design lets me get a ton of travel. Who knows whether its safe to do this on the glove, but I am easily getting 1-2” if not more of extra “spread” over dowel rods, etc. 

Will keep alternating with wrapping of course. Hoping this makes a difference...

So @Punisher Goalie  what was the verdict on this?  I just bought a brand new 1X glove so I’m interested. Haha. Way to bring back an old thread, right?

10 hours ago, Deltadre said:

So @Punisher Goalie  what was the verdict on this?  I just bought a brand new 1X glove so I’m interested. Haha. Way to bring back an old thread, right?

Ha yeah it was a challenge with that glove to be honest. I went with the bake-and-clamp/bake-and-stretch method over and over. Eventually it will soften up. Silver lining of the shutdown, I suppose, you’ll have plenty of time to break it in. Good luck!