The Evolution Of Pad Design

Doobiesnax

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so, equipment was purchased on the weekend and I took out all my gear last night for a dry run to see how everything fit.  2 major things were discovered:

1) Holy shit does getting fat make things a lot more difficult in getting dressed!  Reaching the old skates with my old pants and can set up was much harder than i remember with a big old gut in the way, lol.  I was sweating like a priest in a playground after getting all suited up.  I must have lost 3 lbs in the process.  

2) I'm a bit consfused as to how tight i should be cinching op the straps... I know this is personal preference but with the old styl pads id have everything under the knee pretty snug and above pretty loose.  I've read a bit about these new style of pads and how they should be worn loose, but the whole rotating on my leg thing just seems super strange.

Is there something I should look for when gauging how tight or loose i should be strapping these boards to my legs? 

Make sure the toe ties have slack, too, so you don't f up your ankles when you butterfly. 

I'd advise you keep your pants and cup around your knees while you put your skates and toe toes on. Then pull them up to continue putting on your pads. Otherwise the cup and pants push into your abdomen as you reach for your feet. This is what I do and it's much more comfortable.  

5 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Make sure the toe ties have slack, too, so you don't f up your ankles when you butterfly. 

I'd advise you keep your pants and cup around your knees while you put your skates and toe toes on. Then pull them up to continue putting on your pads. Otherwise the cup and pants push into your abdomen as you reach for your feet. This is what I do and it's much more comfortable.  

The pants around ankles = MIND EXPLOSION!!!!  Thanks for the great tip!  

These pads have a leather spacer at the toe ties that allows a little slack.  Im used to having those tight as on the old Visions I used to use.

tim-and-eric-mind-n-gif-3.gif

For the pads to properly rotate, you'll want an inch or two of slack on the toe ties. Just tie in some extra knots and you'll be good.

As well, get used to pads not feeling as connected to your leg as you're used to. Especially these pads. It won't take long to get accustomed to it, but it will take you some time as you transition from pads that are super glued to your legs to pads that are designed to "flop" around a little.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

They shouldn't be super floppy, just more so than to what you're used to.

As well, you could always drop into a butterfly. ;)

touche, i'm assuming thats why they are loose lol.  I'm thinking that as one bends there knee with a wider stance, and then further to block a shot that may not require a full butterfly, the pads naturally tighten more to your leg or have enough contact with the ice to stabilize them in the right position.

tumblr_nhigjk3LXG1qd584so2_500.gif

1 hour ago, Doobiesnax said:

For me the pad flopping around seems unnatural for stopping shots to the legs while standing.... I'm sure ill get used to it but just my initial impressions.

I would look into getting either prolace or hal straps from monster hockey.  They are bungee cord that keeps the pad tight to your leg while standing, but also allow your toe to move while you are in the butterfly 

37 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I would look into getting either prolace or hal straps from monster hockey.  They are bungee cord that keeps the pad tight to your leg while standing, but also allow your toe to move while you are in the butterfly 

This is exactly what I was going to recommend.  I absolutely love my Pro Laces.  Along with swapping my old Tuuk cowlings out for the one80 cowlings and Step Steel(and I am sure the newer cowlingless skates would be even better but those new composite boots are way too stiff for my liking), it has been one of the biggest revelations in my footwork and down on the ice crease play.  Check out the Pro Laces thread here, and if you have Facebook you can find him here.

8 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

This is exactly what I was going to recommend.  I absolutely love my Pro Laces.  Along with swapping my old Tuuk cowlings out for the one80 cowlings and Step Steel(and I am sure the newer cowlingless skates would be even better but those new composite boots are way too stiff for my liking), it has been one of the biggest revelations in my footwork and down on the ice crease play.  Check out the Pro Laces thread here, and if you have Facebook you can find him here.

Way ahead of you!  I move fast.... already ordered a set!

Update:  

So I went and played in a scrimmage last Friday in preparation for my first game here this Thursday and to try out the new pads..... Did not go so well.  

I haven’t skated or played in like 14 years, and was expecting just a casual shinny session to get the feels back.... turned out to be a high beer league divisions full on scrimmage.  Over those 14 years i apparently forgot how to tighten my skates properly.  The strange thing is my ankles were rolling outwards not inwards.  This quickly atrophied my ankles and muscles around my lower shins/calves rendering my ability effectively move or even stand at some points difficult.  I think this was largely due to my skates not being tightened enough but also due to the lack of support and structure of not having a pad strapped tight to my foot and lower leg.  Also, I think that walking around as a portly adult over the last 14 years, the majority of my weight is on the outer heal of my feet rather than the balls of my feet.  By the time i realized this my legs were shot and i had to pack her in after about 45 minutes.  

I'm thinking, besides the obvious solution of tightening my skates properly and focusing my weight on the balls of my feet, that I may switch back to my old style pads for my first few games until i can rebuild the strength in my lower legs.  The tightness of the boot strapped snug to my skate should force me to transfer my weight to the balls of my feet and provide some structure.

Getting old and fat sucks.  I can honestly say i have never felt as defeated as i did Friday night.  I played a high level of hockey until i went to university, including year round training from a very young age. The feeling of being a fish out of water was totally foriegn to me, and needless to say, it really sucked. Not playing for all those years didn’t effect my brain, but the old body was neglected for way too long.  

Heading out for a public skate tonight to regain my bearings, hopefully i can straighten out my skate tightness issues and regain the proper weight distribution on my feet.

2 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

Update:  

So I went and played in a scrimmage last Friday in preparation for my first game here this Thursday and to try out the new pads..... Did not go so well.  

I haven’t skated or played in like 14 years, and was expecting just a casual shinny session to get the feels back.... turned out to be a high beer league divisions full on scrimmage.  Over those 14 years i apparently forgot how to tighten my skates properly.  The strange thing is my ankles were rolling outwards not inwards.  This quickly atrophied my ankles and muscles around my lower shins/calves rendering my ability effectively move or even stand at some points difficult.  I think this was largely due to my skates not being tightened enough but also due to the lack of support and structure of not having a pad strapped tight to my foot and lower leg.  Also, I think that walking around as a portly adult over the last 14 years, the majority of my weight is on the outer heal of my feet rather than the balls of my feet.  By the time i realized this my legs were shot and i had to pack her in after about 45 minutes.  

I'm thinking, besides the obvious solution of tightening my skates properly and focusing my weight on the balls of my feet, that I may switch back to my old style pads for my first few games until i can rebuild the strength in my lower legs.  The tightness of the boot strapped snug to my skate should force me to transfer my weight to the balls of my feet and provide some structure.

Getting old and fat sucks.  I can honestly say i have never felt as defeated as i did Friday night.  I played a high level of hockey until i went to university, including year round training from a very young age. The feeling of being a fish out of water was totally foriegn to me, and needless to say, it really sucked. Not playing for all those years didn’t effect my brain, but the old body was neglected for way too long.  

Heading out for a public skate tonight to regain my bearings, hopefully i can straighten out my skate tightness issues and regain the proper weight distribution on my feet.

Ah man sorry to hear that, that sucks!  I would stick it out with the new pads but definitely go to a few public skates to get used to skating again.  Last thing you wanna do is get used to the old pads and then have to go back and get used to the new ones again.  Did you wear the Pro Laces?  

Pro laces arent in yet unfortunately.  Its really my own fault for not hitting the ice pre spontaneous scrimmage.  Muscle memory is a crazy thing... im sure it won't take long to get the comfort level back, just really shocking to me as someone that isnt used to that sort of disappointment lol (dont get me wrong i've disappointed many :).  

I really appreciate practices now though!  

Archived