The Evolution Of Pad Design

Doobiesnax

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks gents....  Went for a skate and althought tightness was definitley an issue, it was definitely the lack of skating for 14 years that was the biggest issue.  I dialed in the tightness issue but just getting out on the ice sans equipment helped tremendously.  I regained my bearings pretty quick and felt a lot more confident after cruising around for a bit.  I also quickly remembered how strange it feels to skate around in goalie skates with out gloves and a stick lol.  Im going to hit the ice again this weekend for another skate and play my first game on tuesday. 

5 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

Thaks gents....  Went for a skate and althought tightness was definitley an issue, it was definitely the lack of skating for 14 years that was the biggest issue.  I dialed in the tightness issue but just getting out on the ice sans equipment helped tremendously.  I regained my bearings pretty quick and felt a lot more confident after cruising around for a bit.  I also quickly remembered how strange it feels to skate around in goalie skates with out gloves and a stick lol.  Im going to hit the ice again this weekend for another skate and play my first game on tuesday. 

Glad to hear it worked out, good luck Tuesday!

5 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

Thanks gents....  Went for a skate and althought tightness was definitley an issue, it was definitely the lack of skating for 14 years that was the biggest issue.  I dialed in the tightness issue but just getting out on the ice sans equipment helped tremendously.  I regained my bearings pretty quick and felt a lot more confident after cruising around for a bit.  I also quickly remembered how strange it feels to skate around in goalie skates with out gloves and a stick lol.  Im going to hit the ice again this weekend for another skate and play my first game on tuesday. 

What kind of skates are you wearing?  Might be time to update them as well... I'm in Reactor 6000's but looking to make the move to a cowlingless skate soon

Update:  I've gone out for 3 skates since that first nightmarish night...

Turns out I definitely didn't foget how to skate (thank jeebus).... the issue was a pretty simple one.  Excruciating foot pain lol.  I have wide flat feet, and the old skates had no insole left.  needless to say i cant crank down the old laces without wanting to cut my feet off... so i dialed in the tighness and got a set of superfeet to throw into the old dogs...  Pain is still there, but nowhere close to that first night.  Essentially my feet were in so much pain during that first skate that i resorted to trying to alleviate the pain any way i could... i.e., the rolling outwards/not being able to stand.  I'm glad i figured out the issue... I now just have to break my feet by playing and skating on the reg... I'm super stoked for my first real game tomorrow night and i'm going to stick with the new pads.  Hopefully those prolaces show up today!

On 9/11/2017 at 11:11 AM, Doobiesnax said:

Update:  I've gone out for 3 skates since that first nightmarish night...

Turns out I definitely didn't foget how to skate (thank jeebus).... the issue was a pretty simple one.  Excruciating foot pain lol.  I have wide flat feet, and the old skates had no insole left.  needless to say i cant crank down the old laces without wanting to cut my feet off... so i dialed in the tighness and got a set of superfeet to throw into the old dogs...  Pain is still there, but nowhere close to that first night.  Essentially my feet were in so much pain during that first skate that i resorted to trying to alleviate the pain any way i could... i.e., the rolling outwards/not being able to stand.  I'm glad i figured out the issue... I now just have to break my feet by playing and skating on the reg... I'm super stoked for my first real game tomorrow night and i'm going to stick with the new pads.  Hopefully those prolaces show up today!

So how did it go?

It's a goddamn Christmas miracle boys.  First W in 16 years!!!!  My team won 5-4 and i saw 33 shots.  Nothing spectacular but just getting out there and having my foot situation figured out made it a million times better!  Confidence restored lol.  My Prolaces also showed up yesterday, so i got to throw those on the new pads and they made a world of difference.  I could tell that two of the guys on the team that were at that first scrimmage where pretty nervous about whether I'd be ok but as soon as we started playing i could see the look of relief/amazement at the difference.

The new pads kinda flopping around will still take some getting used to but the harder and flatter profile on the ice definitely helped on a few shots.  

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement guys.  I really felt like i was going to have to hang up the skates for good.  I'm glad i stuck it out and look forward to the rest of the season!

great_success_brandlive.thumb.png.7a8b4853f8d3658ca3a0ae509b441243.png

How hard are those pads in terms of rebounds?

My old Vaughn V2s are super soft and I'm horrible at trying to cover the puck around me so I used to let in way too many goals off bad rebounds. 

Now with my new 1X pads, the rebounds rocket away from me. Usually in the corner too. It's absolutely amazing. I still let in too many easy goals but getting better each game as I get used to the new pads more and more. The goals I let in off bad rebounds has dropped significantly which is great. 

Even for example on a 2-1 last game guy shoots off my far side pad and rebound goes right towards the other guy on the 2-1. Old pads it would have been easy tap in goal. New pads, rebound shot so hard past the guy that it was in the corner before he could even react. 

7 minutes ago, 1C5 said:

How hard are those pads in terms of rebounds?

My old Vaughn V2s are super soft and I'm horrible at trying to cover the puck around me so I used to let in way too many goals off bad rebounds. 

Now with my new 1X pads, the rebounds rocket away from me. Usually in the corner too. It's absolutely amazing. I still let in too many easy goals but getting better each game as I get used to the new pads more and more. The goals I let in off bad rebounds has dropped significantly which is great. 

Even for example on a 2-1 last game guy shoots off my far side pad and rebound goes right towards the other guy on the 2-1. Old pads it would have been easy tap in goal. New pads, rebound shot so hard past the guy that it was in the corner before he could even react. 

Oh i noticed a big difference in the rebounds.... they fly off compared to what i used to wear.  Which helps with me being way fatter and slower than back then ;)

• 4 weeks later...

First shut out in 17 years last night boys!

image.png.d6a6468603c0e323135955be00c5a184.png

I parked the Baurer TotalOne catcher I got with the set I picked up and dusted off the old Louisville TPS Cujo and what a world of difference.  I seriously hate that Bauer glove.  The TPS is like a black hole, and it actually closes lol.  Feet are a total non-issue now, I feel a million times better and look forward to every time I get to step on the ice.  I'm definitely on the lookk out for a softer double break type pad though as the old hips and knees leave me with a pretty narrow butterfly.

On 10/13/2017 at 12:00 PM, Doobiesnax said:

I parked the Baurer TotalOne catcher I got with the set I picked up and dusted off the old Louisville TPS Cujo and what a world of difference.  I seriously hate that Bauer glove.  The TPS is like a black hole, and it actually closes lol.  Feet are a total non-issue now, I feel a million times better and look forward to every time I get to step on the ice.  I'm definitely on the lookk out for a softer double break type pad though as the old hips and knees leave me with a pretty narrow butterfly.

Bauer catchers were pretty awful until the recent 1s/1x line.

Vaughn Velocity / Brian's Gnetik / Bauer Reactor  will probably be the lines of pads that you're looking for. They be the soft hybrid pads.

CCM Eflex can suit your needs too, but they often have a bit stiffer of a profile compared to the three above.

1X, RG/T are kind of the "new" hybrid pad. It's a middle ground between a hard pad and soft pad. Stiffer profile with decent flex at the flex points. But these aren't as soft as the pads I've listed above.

38 minutes ago, DonPost said:

If your in love with a TPS you'll never love another. Might be worth talking to WGD in building you something.

I'd like to try out a few other gloves that have a similar break padding combo... I think the Bauer I have is just not physically able to close based on how thick the palm alone is.  Not a fan to say the least, I like being able to feel the puck in the glove.  The Bauer essetially felt like a second blocker.  Who is this mysterious WGD you speak of?

Archived