Tim_TRUEHockey

TRUE Goalie Skates - 1 Piece vs. 2 Piece

2 hours ago, Majik said:

As soon as True makes a MUCH lighter goalie skate, I'll be buying. I have a problem with off-the-shelf goalie skates in that my right ankle doesn't sit on the foam, it sits right near the eyelets and ends up pushing the foam back into the boot after a couple of months - which leads to the medial malleolus pushing against the sidewall... pretty much like playing with a rock stuck between your ankle and the skate boot. So having a custom pair made is definitely in my future, but these skates are heavy - (coming from the bauer x900).

IDK about the two piece, but now that I’ve handled the one piece in person, I suspect that they really can’t make it any lighter. The main feature of the one piece is the rock solid connection (ie, no connection at all - just one unit) between the “boot” and the “holder”, which they achieve with layers of carbon/composite. 

I’m not exaggerating when I say you can feel in your hands the difference between the stiffness of the boot/holder connection on the one piece vs any other boot/holder or boot/cowling combo. This, combined with the custom fit, is where the “zero” energy loss idea comes from. Of course I don’t have mine yet so I can’t personally attest to it but that’s the idea at least!

So anyway, I have a hard time seeing how they can achieve that level of strength with lighter construction or materials, but who knows. Carbon nanotubes maybe??

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

IMO you want to be slightly pitched forward anyway.  A lot of beer league goalies I've seen around here look like they're doing wall squats.

Having your skates/steel pitch you forward makes it easier to get your shoulders and forward to sort of envelop the puck as it comes in.

Yeah I thought about this too but on balance I really feel like the aggressive forward pitch hurts my lateral skating (t pushes mainly). It’s also a function of the overall height. Either way, I realize I’m taking a big, only somewhat educated, gamble on these but at least with pitch I figure I can change that a little bit with the blade profile if really necessary. 

@Tim_TRUEHockey or anyone else, can someone please confirm the diameter of the toe strap hole (and the other holes in the holder, for that matter) on the one piece skate? Trying to figure out if standard size Pro Laces and/or HALs will fit through. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@Tim_TRUEHockey or anyone else, can someone please confirm the diameter of the toe strap hole (and the other holes in the holder, for that matter) on the one piece skate? Trying to figure out if standard size Pro Laces and/or HALs will fit through. Thanks!

If its like it used to be, you could get them actually drilled any size you wanted (within reason).

On 3/31/2018 at 6:43 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

IDK about the two piece, but now that I’ve handled the one piece in person, I suspect that they really can’t make it any lighter. The main feature of the one piece is the rock solid connection (ie, no connection at all - just one unit) between the “boot” and the “holder”, which they achieve with layers of carbon/composite. 

I’m not exaggerating when I say you can feel in your hands the difference between the stiffness of the boot/holder connection on the one piece vs any other boot/holder or boot/cowling combo. This, combined with the custom fit, is where the “zero” energy loss idea comes from. Of course I don’t have mine yet so I can’t personally attest to it but that’s the idea at least!

So anyway, I have a hard time seeing how they can achieve that level of strength with lighter construction or materials, but who knows. Carbon nanotubes maybe??

I hear ya, but as it is now, I'm in the Bauer x900s (no cowling), and those are some REALLY light skates (2-piece of course). the only issue I have with them though is that my right ankle is pitched forward a bit so it's at the point where it has pushed back the memory foam in the lining from all the back and forth movement and now it's literally resting against the skate sidewall - "ouch" to say the least lol.

I went and tried every single skate they had in the store and it's clear if I buy another pair it would just be a repeat of the x900s... so getting a custom boot made is my best option, but damn - feels like i'm holding a brick in my hand (compared to the Bauers). That said - comfort (no pain) over a bit of weight... shouldn't even be a question. I'll go take another look at them. 

wonder if anyone at True can tell me there's any way we can shave some weight on the one piece or no? 

5 hours ago, Majik said:

I hear ya, but as it is now, I'm in the Bauer x900s (no cowling), and those are some REALLY light skates (2-piece of course). the only issue I have with them though is that my right ankle is pitched forward a bit so it's at the point where it has pushed back the memory foam in the lining from all the back and forth movement and now it's literally resting against the skate sidewall - "ouch" to say the least lol.

I went and tried every single skate they had in the store and it's clear if I buy another pair it would just be a repeat of the x900s... so getting a custom boot made is my best option, but damn - feels like i'm holding a brick in my hand (compared to the Bauers). That said - comfort (no pain) over a bit of weight... shouldn't even be a question. I'll go take another look at them. 

wonder if anyone at True can tell me there's any way we can shave some weight on the one piece or no? 

They are definitely going to be heavier than Bauers, no question. But like you said, the fit and comfort make the weight difference so unimportant. It's not like we as goalies are skating around the ice all night like a forward would be. 

The only way you can shave weight off is going to be to have them cut larger holes in the holder area, but you're going to hit that line between weight and structural integrity at SOME point (I have no idea where). With all of that being carbon fibre, you're not going to notice it enough to bother. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Majik said:

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

They are definitely going to be heavier than Bauers, no question. But like you said, the fit and comfort make the weight difference so unimportant. It's not like we as goalies are skating around the ice all night like a forward would be. 

The only way you can shave weight off is going to be to have them cut larger holes in the holder area, but you're going to hit that line between weight and structural integrity at SOME point (I have no idea where). With all of that being carbon fibre, you're not going to notice it enough to bother. 

+1 you can definitely feel that they're heavier, but the fact that theres almost zero negative space in the skate makes the weight a non-factor. 

• Like 1