TRUE Goalie Skates - 1 Piece vs. 2 Piece

Tim_TRUEHockey

• 3 months later...

Anyone here have a recently-made pair of the one-piece goalie skates? All the reviews I can find on them are somewhat old and pre-date the True take-over. Just wanting to hear more feedback on them and if there have been any significant changes since the initial release.

I am very much enjoying my two-piece boots with One80 cowlings, but looking to try something new during the spring/summer. I’m really attracted to the one-piece thinking that the flatter, lower, setup would be good along with the cowlingless attack angle and the concept of the low energy loss. 

Any feedback would be great. 

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Anyone here have a recently-made pair of the one-piece goalie skates? All the reviews I can find on them are somewhat old and pre-date the True take-over. Just wanting to hear more feedback on them and if there have been any significant changes since the initial release.

I am very much enjoying my two-piece boots with One80 cowlings, but looking to try something new during the spring/summer. I’m really attracted to the one-piece thinking that the flatter, lower, setup would be good along with the cowlingless attack angle and the concept of the low energy loss. 

Any feedback would be great. 

I believe the changes for the one piece were just some esthetics!

I tried it on yesterday as we have a sample one and I find that I don't like the flatter setup up.  I was trying to do a push with it and struggled.   Tried the two piece and did not have problems with it.  I do really like the look of it but the holes bother me in it.

they have no flex so you will have 0 energy loss in your pushes that's forsure.

I am converting my old VH skates with one60 cut holders to the new ccm holder which acts as a "cowlingless" skate but still has a toe cap and heel cap to see if I can get a better push.  Will be putting step steel in it as well just the regular height ones.  Will do a review on it.

@thebigm thanks - seems like the zero energy loss thing isn’t really for everyone but it’s really appealing to me. When I first got my One80 cowlings with the stick steel I loved the skating with the lower height but hated that I lost the attack angle. Thinking the one piece might be a really good middle ground while still keeping the excellent True fit in the boot. 

Great thread as I am also trying to decide between the 1 and 2 pc.  My local rep says to run with the 2 pc in case the 1 pc breaks and because 2 pc offers various blade holder/cowling options.  Leaning that way however similar to Punished Goalie I am still keen on the zero loss of power and the lower height with the 1 pc.  Decisions, decisions.....

2 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

I would go 2 piece. The holders can delaminate and get damaged from shots, then you'd have nothing to use. 

Does anyone have reliable information as to how often this has actually happened to the one-piece skates? Has there been any improvement in this issue since they’ve been in production for some time?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, coryquick said:

Great thread as I am also trying to decide between the 1 and 2 pc.  My local rep says to run with the 2 pc in case the 1 pc breaks and because 2 pc offers various blade holder/cowling options.  Leaning that way however similar to Punished Goalie I am still keen on the zero loss of power and the lower height with the 1 pc.  Decisions, decisions.....

With the "two piece" you can literally use any holder.  You can use a cowling or go the cowlingless route is really is the most universal.  

19 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

I would go 2 piece. The holders can delaminate and get damaged from shots, then you'd have nothing to use. 

I have yet to hear of any issues with the one piece.  I was talking to an ECHL equipment manager and he said a lot of guys are switching to them but he has the same fear if they damage the skate they have to replace the entire skate.  
He hasn't seen any that have broke though.

3 hours ago, thebigm said:

With the "two piece" you can literally use any holder.  You can use a cowling or go the cowlingless route is really is the most universal.  

I have yet to hear of any issues with the one piece.  I was talking to an ECHL equipment manager and he said a lot of guys are switching to them but he has the same fear if they damage the skate they have to replace the entire skate.  

It helps that in the case of True skates there's no break-in time needed for a replacement pair if it does get broken. Though us beer leaguers generally don't exactly have the funds to take that chance. 

18 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

It helps that in the case of True skates there's no break-in time needed for a replacement pair if it does get broken. Though us beer leaguers generally don't exactly have the funds to take that chance. 

I will say that they have the least amount of break in.  I have pretty sensitive feet  when it comes to skates so it took a little bit of adjusting to the boot.  Hands down best fit though!

On 26/03/2018 at 9:19 AM, thebigm said:

I know a few that had the carbon delaminate right at the edge of the holder where the steel sits, multiple times, to both boots.

It's a sharp yet brittle edge where a lot of pressure and stress goes through. 

Did my 3D fitting and placed my order for the one piece skates yesterday. Was quoted 2.5 weeks which is perfect, right between winter and spring seasons. 

I realize it’s not for everyone but I was really impressed with the one piece seeing it in person. The pitch difference between the one and two piece is really dramatic. This is what I’m looking forward to the most. I am still a bit worried about the lower attack angle but seeing the two models next to each other, due to the pitch the height difference is really only dramatic at the heel, the one piece is really not that much shorter at the toe, where I think a lot of the action is happening executing pushes. 

Either way I can’t wait to get them and get out on the ice to try them out. Will surely report back when I do. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 2:54 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

Did my 3D fitting and placed my order for the one piece skates yesterday. Was quoted 2.5 weeks which is perfect, right between winter and spring seasons. 

I realize it’s not for everyone but I was really impressed with the one piece seeing it in person. The pitch difference between the one and two piece is really dramatic. This is what I’m looking forward to the most. I am still a bit worried about the lower attack angle but seeing the two models next to each other, due to the pitch the height difference is really only dramatic at the heel, the one piece is really not that much shorter at the toe, where I think a lot of the action is happening executing pushes. 

Either way I can’t wait to get them and get out on the ice to try them out. Will surely report back when I do. 

IMO you want to be slightly pitched forward anyway.  A lot of beer league goalies I've seen around here look like they're doing wall squats.

Having your skates/steel pitch you forward makes it easier to get your shoulders and forward to sort of envelop the puck as it comes in.

As soon as True makes a MUCH lighter goalie skate, I'll be buying. I have a problem with off-the-shelf goalie skates in that my right ankle doesn't sit on the foam, it sits right near the eyelets and ends up pushing the foam back into the boot after a couple of months - which leads to the medial malleolus pushing against the sidewall... pretty much like playing with a rock stuck between your ankle and the skate boot. So having a custom pair made is definitely in my future, but these skates are heavy - (coming from the bauer x900).

2 hours ago, Majik said:

As soon as True makes a MUCH lighter goalie skate, I'll be buying. I have a problem with off-the-shelf goalie skates in that my right ankle doesn't sit on the foam, it sits right near the eyelets and ends up pushing the foam back into the boot after a couple of months - which leads to the medial malleolus pushing against the sidewall... pretty much like playing with a rock stuck between your ankle and the skate boot. So having a custom pair made is definitely in my future, but these skates are heavy - (coming from the bauer x900).

IDK about the two piece, but now that I’ve handled the one piece in person, I suspect that they really can’t make it any lighter. The main feature of the one piece is the rock solid connection (ie, no connection at all - just one unit) between the “boot” and the “holder”, which they achieve with layers of carbon/composite. 

I’m not exaggerating when I say you can feel in your hands the difference between the stiffness of the boot/holder connection on the one piece vs any other boot/holder or boot/cowling combo. This, combined with the custom fit, is where the “zero” energy loss idea comes from. Of course I don’t have mine yet so I can’t personally attest to it but that’s the idea at least!

So anyway, I have a hard time seeing how they can achieve that level of strength with lighter construction or materials, but who knows. Carbon nanotubes maybe??

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

IMO you want to be slightly pitched forward anyway.  A lot of beer league goalies I've seen around here look like they're doing wall squats.

Having your skates/steel pitch you forward makes it easier to get your shoulders and forward to sort of envelop the puck as it comes in.

Yeah I thought about this too but on balance I really feel like the aggressive forward pitch hurts my lateral skating (t pushes mainly). It’s also a function of the overall height. Either way, I realize I’m taking a big, only somewhat educated, gamble on these but at least with pitch I figure I can change that a little bit with the blade profile if really necessary.