TRUE Goalie Skates - 1 Piece vs. 2 Piece

Tim_TRUEHockey

On 5/3/2018 at 12:51 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Sure, but why make two holders if one does the job?

I actually kind of like it. I could have a set of player steel and a set of goalie steel and use either depending on situation. 

I agree, why do the work of making two holders when you are satisfied with the functionality 1 for both functions you are trying to achieve. That seemed to be the case for True, though I think their 2-piece is too high personally. I don't really understand your point of swapping out the steel, since a player boot and a goalie boot are two different things...

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

@IPv6Freely believe it or not... There is stuff you are not privy too. I believe leaving this here is useful. 

Interesting. So youre saying the content of his post is only valid if left as being posted by the admin account? Why does it not have value if posted by his regular user account?

Just now, Gear----->ME said:

@IPv6Freely He is saying he'd rather keep that post there than have me completely remove it as it thinks the content has some value. Why are you always trying to challenge people?

The content does have some value. Which is exactly why I suggested that you re-post it using the correct account.

Why? Because I'm right. 

Soooo...changing topics...has anyone ever tried a second red footbed in their Trues? I'm a little concerned it could push the heel out of place. 

I want to get myself a bit of a snugger fit but if I tie laces differently than how I posted in my review, I either get a feeling to being too loose or too tight (foot pain). Tried using thicker (but still hockey) socks but the Trues are so well formed, I had WICKED arch pain. 

2 piece users:  Do you use the same profile/contour on your blades as your previous skates?  Or do you find a need to change?  I am currently using a 20'/32' with a medium forward pitch on a Bauer Vertexx cowling with VH boot.  With the increased forward angle of the True 2 piece, has anyone had to or felt the need to go to a more neutral pitch?  Thankfully I have ready access to a contour system so I could try out both, but would like to receive any feedback to possibly reduce the number of times I have to contour the blades, since steel isn't cheap.

45 minutes ago, Hockey37 said:

2 piece users:  Do you use the same profile/contour on your blades as your previous skates?  Or do you find a need to change?  I am currently using a 20'/32' with a medium forward pitch on a Bauer Vertexx cowling with VH boot.  With the increased forward angle of the True 2 piece, has anyone had to or felt the need to go to a more neutral pitch?  Thankfully I have ready access to a contour system so I could try out both, but would like to receive any feedback to possibly reduce the number of times I have to contour the blades, since steel isn't cheap.

I'm basically on the same setup (boot, holder, same exact blade profile), except with Tydan steel and an aggressive forward pitch.

The nice thing with the Tydan steel is I sharpen less, so that would hopefully mitigate how often I need to re-profile the steel

4 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I'm basically on the same setup (boot, holder, same exact blade profile), except with Tydan steel and an aggressive forward pitch.

The nice thing with the Tydan steel is I sharpen less, so that would hopefully mitigate how often I need to re-profile the steel

Do you find the pitch keeps you on your toes more in your stance? Does it mess with balance? 

I've always used a neutral pitch, but I am looking to switch things up a bit. 

1 hour ago, Aquilzz said:

Do you find the pitch keeps you on your toes more in your stance? Does it mess with balance? 

I've always used a neutral pitch, but I am looking to switch things up a bit.  

More on the balls of my feet with the added bonus of keeping me on the shorter side (20') of the dual radius while in ready position.
I see the most benefit when my team is on the PK and there is a lot of puck movement in the zone; being able to pivot and adjust my angle a split second faster because of the shorter blade has helped keep me a step ahead of the play most of the time.
Once I'm down, I start by engaging the ice with the back 30' half of the blade to dig and push as it's more stable.  I believe this is the correct way to do it anyway, as you can utilize the entire surface area of your edges this way, and if you need to you can roll it from heel to toe if you need to cover a long distance.

Adjusting to the new pitch felt pretty awkward for the first 30-60 mins on it.  It's hard to explain; I felt like my shoulders were a bit too far forward - they really weren't, I just had more weight on the front half of the blade. 

@Tim_TRUEHockey I'm thinking about getting a pair of True 2 Piece skates, but I have a question. I'm thinking about becoming a part time referee, and there is a rule saying that I can't use skates that have goalie blades/runners because there is a chance of the blade to injure players on the ice. My understanding with the two piece is that you use the same runners from the player skates to use in your goalie skates. Are the goalie blades interchangeable with the skater blades, and if so, are we able to buy the opposite blades separately? 

2 minutes ago, Naz said:

I always thought that rule about no goalie skates as a ref was because the referee skate had to allow the puck a chance to pass through it, which with traditional goalie skates was not possible.

Beats me, i just always assumed it was for safety reasons. At least i might be able to fake it as a player skate

On 5/25/2018 at 5:55 PM, Chenner29 said:

More on the balls of my feet with the added bonus of keeping me on the shorter side (20') of the dual radius while in ready position.
I see the most benefit when my team is on the PK and there is a lot of puck movement in the zone; being able to pivot and adjust my angle a split second faster because of the shorter blade has helped keep me a step ahead of the play most of the time.
Once I'm down, I start by engaging the ice with the back 30' half of the blade to dig and push as it's more stable.  I believe this is the correct way to do it anyway, as you can utilize the entire surface area of your edges this way, and if you need to you can roll it from heel to toe if you need to cover a long distance.

Adjusting to the new pitch felt pretty awkward for the first 30-60 mins on it.  It's hard to explain; I felt like my shoulders were a bit too far forward - they really weren't, I just had more weight on the front half of the blade. 

Interesting, I use the Goalie SAM profile from Pro Sharp. I'm still not entirely sure what the actual radius of the blade is but the guy I was talking to at Tydan blades suggested it to me. He also said go with a neutral pitch, but I find myself off balance with it. I find myself on my heels too much...I like to be mostly on my toes as I have a very aggressive stance.

I do like the profile...like you, I used to use a dual radius, but I like the triple radius of the "SAM". It works perfectly for me in my butterfly and movements while down, but I'm thinking the neutral pitch is causing me to feel off balance in my stance. 

On 5/26/2018 at 9:14 PM, Aquilzz said:

Interesting, I use the Goalie SAM profile from Pro Sharp. I'm still not entirely sure what the actual radius of the blade is but the guy I was talking to at Tydan blades suggested it to me. He also said go with a neutral pitch, but I find myself off balance with it. I find myself on my heels too much...I like to be mostly on my toes as I have a very aggressive stance.

I do like the profile...like you, I used to use a dual radius, but I like the triple radius of the "SAM". It works perfectly for me in my butterfly and movements while down, but I'm thinking the neutral pitch is causing me to feel off balance in my stance. 

Goalie SAM is a 10' - 50' - 27'.  Some shops will do the first re-profile for free if you don't like the first one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/25/2018 at 11:35 AM, Chenner29 said:

Does Tydan make 4mm steel for the True 2 piece holder?  I haven't seen anything online in my searching.

tydan is not equivalent, massive is in line with step might even be better.  STep edge not available in states and is always on backorder for 3 months even during off season. massive has better pricpoint and quality compared to tydan who is taking advantage of step lack of distribution in the states and riding the coat tail.