TRUE Goalie Skates - 1 Piece vs. 2 Piece

Tim_TRUEHockey

53 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just curious if anyone knows if just buying the boot is still an option.  I was at my local PHL today the guy there didn't seem to think so, but they've been wrong before.

You can opt to get the boot without the holder mounted. You'll still get the holder separately, but you'll be paying the full price. Previously there was a discount if you went boot-only, but that's gone now.

1 hour ago, ZeroGravitas said:

You can opt to get the boot without the holder mounted. You'll still get the holder separately, but you'll be paying the full price. Previously there was a discount if you went boot-only, but that's gone now.

Thanks! appreciate the info! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 11:09 AM, Teezle said:

Got scanned for a 2-piece on Monday when I was in the area for work. Now the wait!

I tried on all the brands of skates in the store, including the "stock" True in my size. Compared to my current Grafs, True was the only one as comfortable - in fact, the True skates I tried on in the store were even more comfortable than my current well-loved and well-used ones. It will be an interesting transition to both a cowlingless and taller skate, but I'm excited for it.

Update: Got a call from GoalieMonkey on Saturday (March 30) that the skates were in. Unfortunately, I won't be able to pick them up until late April, but a turn-around of less than 4 weeks from order to delivery is quite good! I'll post a review once I've got them on the ice a few times, probably closer to June.

My kids skates came in last week.  Took about 2.5 weeks.  Very surprised at the turn around time.  Store manager said True is really pumping them out fast right now (and its a slow time of year).  Kid can't wear them for another 2 weeks though.  He has evals in a couple of weeks.  Probably not a great idea to switch skates this close...

@aircanuck that sucks!  Definitely sounds like something was off the rails.

My kid had a short session last night with his coach.  He decided to test out the new skates.  As he came off the ice he told me he was never going back to his old 190s. 

Only issue we had was the new vertexx holders need some tweaks.  One of the blades won't sit properly (i.e. all the way engaged).  I cleaned it up quite a bit last night, but it was still not right so I'm taking it back tot he shop to let them figure it out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 7:18 AM, Matt said:

@aircanuck that sucks!  Definitely sounds like something was off the rails.

My kid had a short session last night with his coach.  He decided to test out the new skates.  As he came off the ice he told me he was never going back to his old 190s. 

Only issue we had was the new vertexx holders need some tweaks.  One of the blades won't sit properly (i.e. all the way engaged).  I cleaned it up quite a bit last night, but it was still not right so I'm taking it back tot he shop to let them figure it out.

Did you profile them, or sharpen them differently as compared to the 190s? If not, how is the stock profile on the True 2-piece? I haven't gotten my hands on them yet (a couple more weeks before I have the free time to drive up - curse you, waiting!), but I've heard that you don't need as low of a radius with them. I currently use 3/8" on my Grafs, but I've also never replaced the original steel that came with them (I think it is pretty soft), so who knows what the profile on them looks like now.

On 4/15/2019 at 3:58 PM, Teezle said:

Did you profile them, or sharpen them differently as compared to the 190s? If not, how is the stock profile on the True 2-piece? I haven't gotten my hands on them yet (a couple more weeks before I have the free time to drive up - curse you, waiting!), but I've heard that you don't need as low of a radius with them. I currently use 3/8" on my Grafs, but I've also never replaced the original steel that came with them (I think it is pretty soft), so who knows what the profile on them looks like now.

@Teezle I think we put our True orders in around the same time in March and I just picked up my 1-piece skates last night! Got them baked and sharpened before I left, but the LHS didn't profile runners so that will have to wait.

I was told to go with a more shallow sharpening radius since you get extra bite from the better power transfer of True skates. I have been getting 1/2" so I went with 5/8" to start out.

Let me know what you end up going with for your profile if you get it done. I was using a 20/32" dual radius on my last pair of skates so I'm thinking I'm might go back to that as it worked for me. Not sure yet.

On 4/15/2019 at 3:58 PM, Teezle said:

These are my kids skates.  To answer you question though, I had the holders removed and replaced with vertexx  holders to match what he had on the 190s.  He's comfortable in the 3mm and its not a great time for him to be changing his gear.  

• 2 weeks later...

Removing the cowling removes more weight than I expected - my new True 2-piece skates are significantly lighter than my old Grafs (model: G9035, size 6.5).

True - Right skate: 877 g, Left skate: 881 g

Graf - 1016 g

Difference: 137 g (~0.3 lbs)

Looking forward to using them on the ice for the first time tonight. 

Brief update after two games with the 2-piece skates:

1. They are amazingly comfortable. The lack of negative space in the boot really locks your foot into place, and I haven't had any discomfort or pain in areas that used to get sore with my old skates (primarily my lateral malleolus). You feel very connected to the ice, as well.

2. My butterfly pushes are much stronger than before. I only need to lift my knee ~1/3 as high to get my blade to engage with the ice, which causes a lot less fatigue. After the games, my legs felt much fresher even though I'd been playing just as hard. I need to retrain myself to not lift my knee as high when doing pushes on the ice, so that I don't give up coverage unnecessarily.

3. I took a shot off the toe in last night's game and didn't feel anything; the toe cap seems very protective.

4.  I used to get my old skates done at 3/8". For the first sharpening on these new 2-piece skates, I went with 7/16" and it was too grabby. Definitely use a wider radius when switching; I'll probably go with 1/2" next time.

In short, they are excellent so far.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Hockey1234 said:

Does anyone know if you can bake custom two piece skates, I recently purchased some and just wondering if you can bake them?

Yes, you are supposed to bake them when you get them. I would suggest going back to the store where you bought them from as they need to be baked longer than normal skates for them to function properly. and do not skate with them for at least 36 hours after you bake them as they are at their weakest point when they are being baked and after they are baked.

50 minutes ago, Potttat said:

Yes, you are supposed to bake them when you get them. I would suggest going back to the store where you bought them from as they need to be baked longer than normal skates for them to function properly. and do not skate with them for at least 36 hours after you bake them as they are at their weakest point when they are being baked and after they are baked.

Okay thanks, I bought them from an equipment sale and tried them on before buying. They fit perfectly and it was really weird but I still wanna get them baked. I’m pretty sure my local hockey shop will bake them though!

18 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Pretty much all modern skates are designed to be baked. Baking is no longer something you CAN do and is more of something you’re SUPPOSED to do.

Bake them at home. Follow the instructions VH posted on YouTube a while back. 

Okay thanks, I sort of figured that I just wanted to make sure as they are a custom mold and I didn’t know if that would change anything, I guess not. Thanks again!

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Steph Lawa said:

Anyone have side shots of the difference in forward pitch between the True and vertexxx holders?

Sorry, I didn't take shots with the True holders on and I had my LS5G blades profiled before ever putting them on.   I will say that there was a HUGE difference in feel but I hadn't skated on 4mm runners in well over a year before buying my TRUE's so that may have been it as well.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:56 AM, Hockey1234 said:

Okay thanks, I sort of figured that I just wanted to make sure as they are a custom mold and I didn’t know if that would change anything, I guess not. Thanks again!

The great thing about TRUEs is that they can be molded repeatedly.   They do require a longer time in the oven and on your feet but it's absolutely worth spending the time on.

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Old thread, but I thought I'd post these here. I'm glad I went with a two piece. I'm sure it's just a fluke, but still. Check out that crack in the toe.

Not my skates. Saw these on SideLine swap:

Same here.  I think the toe cap in this instance is a freak occurrence, but I've seen too many durability issues with the carbon in the holder to ever plunk down money on a one piece.

Once my current 2pc Trues die out, I will probably go with a custom Bauer.

1 hour ago, creasecollector said:

Old thread, but I thought I'd post these here. I'm glad I went with a two piece. I'm sure it's just a fluke, but still. Check out that crack in the toe.

Not my skates. Saw these on SideLine swap:

c7a86ed5720dd46c_original.jpeg

Looks like an original VH 1-piece model (see silver rivet on the toe) so these likely have some mileage. That said, they rubberized the toe piece on the gen 2 True model so maybe that was the reasoning for that design mod. I have gen 2 True model and the toe caps look great after a year of regular use.

like anything else, big X factor is always care. I wipe them down after every skate and hang dry without the insoles. So far no repairs needed.

6 hours ago, dstew29 said:

Looks like an original VH 1-piece model (see silver rivet on the toe) so these likely have some mileage. That said, they rubberized the toe piece on the gen 2 True model so maybe that was the reasoning for that design mod. I have gen 2 True model and the toe caps look great after a year of regular use.

like anything else, big X factor is always care. I wipe them down after every skate and hang dry without the insoles. So far no repairs needed.

Yeah, this was probably a one-off as all the one-PC toes of the True skates I've seen have looked in good shape. Just wanted to post because it was interested to see a skate cracked like that. 

Glad to see you take care of your skates so well. Definitely a piece of gear we can't ignore.