Hi,  have been looking for some new steel for my skates (Bauer vapor x900) and I've been wondering what are the better options.I have been finding myself going to sharpen my skates more often than usual.

A local skate shop ( which is pretty well know in my area for their services and equipment  repair/modding)  told me how Bauer's steel is relativity cheep. He recommended and also told me that they are getting a shipment of step steel for the vertexx edge holder. On the other side i found that another goalie in my Facebook shinny group was selling his 1s skates with Tydan steel. I've done some research on Tydan steel and some pros have ordered them this summer. The Tydans shop is an hour and a half away, which also gives my an opportunity to go see coveted mask and see quality of products they both do (if i do eventual go).

Thanks.

38 minutes ago, itis121 said:

Hi,  have been looking for some new steel for my skates (Bauer vapor x900) and I've been wondering what are the better options.I have been finding myself going to sharpen my skates more often than usual.

A local skate shop ( which is pretty well know in my area for their services and equipment  repair/modding)  told me how Bauer's steel is relativity cheep. He recommended and also told me that they are getting a shipment of step steel for the vertexx edge holder. On the other side i found that another goalie in my Facebook shinny group was selling his 1s skates with Tydan steel. I've done some research on Tydan steel and some pros have ordered them this summer. The Tydans shop is an hour and a half away, which also gives my an opportunity to go see coveted mask and see quality of products they both do (if i do eventual go).

Thanks.

My understanding is that Tydan makes a great product. By jumping on the Vertexx first, I think they have he market cornered for that platform 

I've yet to use it, but I wouldn't be scared to use Tydan. @Souner92 is big fan of it and I trust his opinion 

Just a heads up, Tydans coating makes their steel slightly thicker than Bauers. A big local retailer near Tydan has seen a decent amount of Bauer Edge holders that end up broken or with very loose blades because of that.

They were all player skates, but the trigger mechanism in the goalie Vertexx Edge.

45 minutes ago, Hills said:

Just a heads up, Tydans coating makes their steel slightly thicker than Bauers. A big local retailer near Tydan has seen a decent amount of Bauer Edge holders that end up broken or with very loose blades because of that.

They were all player skates, but the trigger mechanism in the goalie Vertexx Edge.

Good insight 

I heard Bauer has a premium steel coming out too 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 9:34 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Good insight 

I heard Bauer has a premium steel coming out too 

God I hope so. I put a Bauer Vertexx Cowling on my Graf boot a while back and went through the whole finding the right radius having also changed the steel width from 4mm down to 3mm. I had been doing a 5/8 on the 4mm but moved to a 1/2 on the 3mm. I then moved to an S190 add bought a second set of steels (LS3G as they came with LS2G) and both are like butter. While I'm comfortable with the edges, they're super thin at this radius and just breathing on a post kills them. Super soft and always in need of a sharpening. Given this experience I'm looking forward to wearing these out and picking up something with a DLC on it (Step, Black Edge, Tydan) to see if it helps.

I have a set for my S190s and was very happy with them. The S190s turned out to be the totally-wrong fit, so I don’t use them any more. Only issue I’ll mention is that my local skate shop said they couldn’t sharpen them without removing them from the holders, which may have been something related to the Vertexx Edge holder and not the Tydan steel specifically.

• 1 year later...

I'm liking my Graf dm1080s for the most part but I'm not loving the stock Graf runners. First, they're taller than most current runners (I think?) and I'm not sure if they're wider too (4mm vs 3mm). As always, I like to see what the pros are doing and it looks like Price doesn't use their stock steel runner (see below image). To me it looks like he uses a shorter steel runner. Anyone have a better insight on this? And if I go to a shorter after market runner, any suggestions on Step or Tydan for Graf cowlings? Thanks, IDKS about blades if you couldn't tell...

Stock steel on Graf DM1080s:

Image result for graf dm1080

Carey Price VH w/ Graf Cowling Setup:

Image result for carey price graf skates

Price image not showing up for me, but I suspect that he likes them shorter, much like the Graf Goaler 750 Pro used to be. I loved the length and stock profile of the 750, but the rest of the cowling was cumbersome and heavy, not to mention there was no way to replace the runner. 

• 4 weeks later...

Had a nice delivery last evening just before heading to the rink. Ever since I've been back from hip surgery I felt like I was playing off the balls of my feet... pitched forward and not in a more neutral stance like I prefer. After trying to make adjustments I just came to terms with the fact it's likely my steels... and sure enough it was. The DLC Tydans have been fantastic but the local sharpening skills left them with much more steel removed from the front half than the back half of them. So I ordered a new set from goalieparts.com... and went with the gold TIN coating. Skated with them last night and it felt right again. I was slightly concerned about the coating and how well it would do in preventing nicks and burs when kicking posts... but they performed impeccably. Going to have the DLCs brough back to neutral and throw them in the spare steel pouch.

Big thanks to Dennis Kasprowicz for great customer service and having them drop shipped to me. Worth noting if anyone does order a set, the notes field is mandatory when ordering, but i didn't have any special requests so I just threw my number in there as a place holder... but turns out they etched it on there more me... all the better.

image.thumb.png.2429a9e46264c6d7bc4b316e0cdc8e64.png  image.thumb.png.2b90db023f08de41bd571b978cf7a1b5.png

On 12/5/2018 at 11:16 AM, BadAngle41 said:

Had a nice delivery last evening just before heading to the rink. Ever since I've been back from hip surgery I felt like I was playing off the balls of my feet... pitched forward and not in a more neutral stance like I prefer. After trying to make adjustments I just came to terms with the fact it's likely my steels... and sure enough it was. The DLC Tydans have been fantastic but the local sharpening skills left them with much more steel removed from the front half than the back half of them. So I ordered a new set from goalieparts.com... and went with the gold TIN coating. Skated with them last night and it felt right again. I was slightly concerned about the coating and how well it would do in preventing nicks and burs when kicking posts... but they performed impeccably. Going to have the DLCs brough back to neutral and throw them in the spare steel pouch.

Big thanks to Dennis Kasprowicz for great customer service and having them drop shipped to me. Worth noting if anyone does order a set, the notes field is mandatory when ordering, but i didn't have any special requests so I just threw my number in there as a place holder... but turns out they etched it on there more me... all the better.

Those look slick!

• 1 month later...

FYI I recently bought some Bauer’s 2S skates for my son with 3 sets of Step Blades - I can say that for the first time in 5 years I am disappointed with Step.

Product - 4MM fat blades

Issue from the original purchase 2 sets where EXTREMELY hard to fit into the Bauer holder, they where changed and I picked up the two new sets today and even though they seem to fit I still find them tough to use.

I believe Tyden blades had a similar issue - do we know if this is still a problem with them ?

@Big2 YMMV but I’ve used Tydan in my s190s and now in 2S Pros and have had no issues with fit/installation. At the MOST I’ve used a rubber mallet it give them a light tap to seat them, but that was mostly me being extra-cautious because I don’t want to cut my hand on freshly-sharpened blades. 

Just FYI I have also used the stock steel in both and there is not significant diffference in the fit. Tydan is a wonderful product. 

Punisher - it looks like the fit is still snug with the Tydan blades, I will be testing the stock blades vs the Step this weekend in regards to the fit and will advice.

FYI I don’t like the Bauer trigger system it leaves too many variables open to interpretation regarding the blade install - still prefer the old screw system I always new that I had installed the replacement blades,

@Big2 I also used Tydan DLC in my 1S skates for about 2 years before I got my 2S with the 5G steel.

The only difficulty I had with getting them installed was similar to @Punisher Goalie, it wasn't the width as it wasn't difficult to slide them in, it was more like the internal parts were juuuust slightly differently shaped. So it took a little bit of extra force to get them all the way in so the trigger would release back to neutral. Zero issues with the holder cracking or the blades being loose or anything like that in the 2 years since though. 

So as you can see from above I have been frustrated with 2 of the 3 sets of Step blades I bought my son!  In order to further pursue this with the store and Step I went to get the thickness of the blades measured!!

Well guess what - the STEP blades ate a smidgen under 3MM and the original Bauer blades are a smidgen over 3MM ?????????

I will take another look at this - but my guess is that the ROUGH finish on the 3MM section is what makes the blades tough to get into the holder!  

On 11/8/2018 at 4:21 PM, dstew29 said:

Has anyone out there bought STEP or Tydan runners for a Graf cowling?

image.jpeg.80be5c9bde773870f4d3aa10b09a318f.jpeg

Unfortunately I've been looking for some for a while with minimal luck. Turn's out STEP steel is kinda hard to find for Graf skates. Due to this I'm kinda tempted to swap the cowlings on my Graf Supra 4500 skates.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:44 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

Unfortunately I've been looking for some for a while with minimal luck. Turn's out STEP steel is kinda hard to find for Graf skates. Due to this I'm kinda tempted to swap the cowlings on my Graf Supra 4500 skates.

My experience as well. I was able to find my size (9) at Midwest Skate a few weeks ago when I purchased. I went with regular SS though they also carried Black Step. 

They seemed to carry most sizes when I last looked. I believe Step is no longer producing them so try to snap up whatever you can now. 

Guys - quick update so I just tried purring OEM of the two sets of Step fatblades that are hard to set in place - what I did as a test was to put soapy water to get them in. Blades when in better than usual, will continue using this system for the near future,

i also have been exchanging with Step on what I think the problem is - if anything comes out off this I will advice!

I wanted to chime in on something a number of your are mentioning... fit of the steels in the holder. I've had Tydan in my S190s for almost 2 years now. First DLC, and now TIN coated. A few weeks ago I started to notice some play in the width of the holder which was allowing the steel to wiggle side to side. When I showed it to pretty much the only guy who sharpens my skates, he asked if i frequently remove steels. Said that he knows Step actually recommends not taking them out once in, as repeated replacement could stretch the holder itself, and wear on the portion of the trigger that actually hold the steel in place. I haven't been able to confirm that, but nor have I been able to deny it. The more wiggle I noticed, the more I took them out and put them back in... which seemed to make them wiggle more. So there may be some truth to it.

To resolve it...

1. I took out the steel
  2. Applied a piece of clear sock tape to the side of the inside edge of the holder
  3. Pushed the steel back on (had to push pretty firmly)
  4. Trimmed off the excess tape with an X-Acto type blade.

It is definitely back to firm feel, no wiggle at all. Of course this is also likely stretching the holder some as well though. I'll get the micrometer out tonight to see how much variation there may be from the stock LS2G, LS3G, Tydan DLC, and Tydan TIN steels. It may literally be a situation of splitting hairs... but could also in turn give more credibility to the thought that repeated removal takes it toll on the holder itself.

Archived