Hi,  have been looking for some new steel for my skates (Bauer vapor x900) and I've been wondering what are the better options.I have been finding myself going to sharpen my skates more often than usual.

A local skate shop ( which is pretty well know in my area for their services and equipment  repair/modding)  told me how Bauer's steel is relativity cheep. He recommended and also told me that they are getting a shipment of step steel for the vertexx edge holder. On the other side i found that another goalie in my Facebook shinny group was selling his 1s skates with Tydan steel. I've done some research on Tydan steel and some pros have ordered them this summer. The Tydans shop is an hour and a half away, which also gives my an opportunity to go see coveted mask and see quality of products they both do (if i do eventual go).

Thanks.

38 minutes ago, itis121 said:

Hi,  have been looking for some new steel for my skates (Bauer vapor x900) and I've been wondering what are the better options.I have been finding myself going to sharpen my skates more often than usual.

A local skate shop ( which is pretty well know in my area for their services and equipment  repair/modding)  told me how Bauer's steel is relativity cheep. He recommended and also told me that they are getting a shipment of step steel for the vertexx edge holder. On the other side i found that another goalie in my Facebook shinny group was selling his 1s skates with Tydan steel. I've done some research on Tydan steel and some pros have ordered them this summer. The Tydans shop is an hour and a half away, which also gives my an opportunity to go see coveted mask and see quality of products they both do (if i do eventual go).

Thanks.

My understanding is that Tydan makes a great product. By jumping on the Vertexx first, I think they have he market cornered for that platform 

I've yet to use it, but I wouldn't be scared to use Tydan. @Souner92 is big fan of it and I trust his opinion 

Just a heads up, Tydans coating makes their steel slightly thicker than Bauers. A big local retailer near Tydan has seen a decent amount of Bauer Edge holders that end up broken or with very loose blades because of that.

They were all player skates, but the trigger mechanism in the goalie Vertexx Edge.

45 minutes ago, Hills said:

Just a heads up, Tydans coating makes their steel slightly thicker than Bauers. A big local retailer near Tydan has seen a decent amount of Bauer Edge holders that end up broken or with very loose blades because of that.

They were all player skates, but the trigger mechanism in the goalie Vertexx Edge.

Good insight 

I heard Bauer has a premium steel coming out too 

On 9/4/2017 at 9:34 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Good insight 

I heard Bauer has a premium steel coming out too 

God I hope so. I put a Bauer Vertexx Cowling on my Graf boot a while back and went through the whole finding the right radius having also changed the steel width from 4mm down to 3mm. I had been doing a 5/8 on the 4mm but moved to a 1/2 on the 3mm. I then moved to an S190 add bought a second set of steels (LS3G as they came with LS2G) and both are like butter. While I'm comfortable with the edges, they're super thin at this radius and just breathing on a post kills them. Super soft and always in need of a sharpening. Given this experience I'm looking forward to wearing these out and picking up something with a DLC on it (Step, Black Edge, Tydan) to see if it helps.

I have a set for my S190s and was very happy with them. The S190s turned out to be the totally-wrong fit, so I don’t use them any more. Only issue I’ll mention is that my local skate shop said they couldn’t sharpen them without removing them from the holders, which may have been something related to the Vertexx Edge holder and not the Tydan steel specifically.

I'm liking my Graf dm1080s for the most part but I'm not loving the stock Graf runners. First, they're taller than most current runners (I think?) and I'm not sure if they're wider too (4mm vs 3mm). As always, I like to see what the pros are doing and it looks like Price doesn't use their stock steel runner (see below image). To me it looks like he uses a shorter steel runner. Anyone have a better insight on this? And if I go to a shorter after market runner, any suggestions on Step or Tydan for Graf cowlings? Thanks, IDKS about blades if you couldn't tell...

Stock steel on Graf DM1080s:

Image result for graf dm1080

Carey Price VH w/ Graf Cowling Setup:

Image result for carey price graf skates

Price image not showing up for me, but I suspect that he likes them shorter, much like the Graf Goaler 750 Pro used to be. I loved the length and stock profile of the 750, but the rest of the cowling was cumbersome and heavy, not to mention there was no way to replace the runner. 

@dualshowman I bet you're right on that. Probably got Graf or someone else to replicate the same runner he was used to. From the pic it definitely looks to be shorter profile than the new stock blades.

Has anyone out there bought STEP or Tydan runners for a Graf cowling?

image.jpeg.80be5c9bde773870f4d3aa10b09a318f.jpeg