Show Off Your Passau Gear

IPv6Freely

Not exactly Passau's, but this seems like the appropriate place.

10 year old me would've lost his shit if he came across these at PIAS. These were definitely  top of the list for me 25+ years ago but were out of reach when new. Still a really cool design to this day.  

IMG_1811.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, craig said:

10 year old me would've lost his shit if he came across these at PIAS. These were definitely  top of the list for me 25+ years ago but were out of reach when new. Still a really cool design to this day.  

IMG_1811.JPG

Seriously though, how ahead of its time were these? 

Flat face, square vertical roll, no knee rolls. 

I’m not super familiar with fear from this era, but I’d love to see the back of the pad. Im sure there’s some more stuff you’d find on modern gear. 

17 hours ago, craig said:

IMG_1811.JPG

I see you're in Ottawa too - was this at the Orlean's PIAS, or the one on Bank...? Just curious.

$20... you should maybe have bought them for display or something - LOL!

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I see you're in Ottawa too - was this at the Orlean's PIAS, or the one on Bank...?

Barrhaven

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

$20... you should maybe have bought them for display or something - LOL!

Definitely though about it. Trying to break the habit of hoarding old gear.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea of the Bayard had that connection with Passau. One of my first sets when I was 10 was those white Bayards that I absolutely loved. Now 29 years later, my first new set...Passau. That and still an Armadilla guy, you see how strong my brand loyalty is 😏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, aircanuck said:

More Passau love, my new mitts have arrived. Boy this company is on the ball. IMG_0707.thumb.JPG.1f0c10f0de68de96d1cedd987c523a51.JPG

Check out the Clarino! It's so soft and wonderful.
"Japanese-imported Clarino®. Known for both it's superior durability and soft texture, Clarino® does not absorb water and extremely resistant to abrasion. Clarino® will be offered in the knee lock areas of our pads as well as the gloves of our blockers."

IMG_0708.thumb.JPG.c757d6a4fb95c9c4f2071110621f9a24.JPG

• 2 months later...

Here's my new gear...great quality, nice and light. Coming from Vaughn V5 pads and Smith 5000 gl oves that required an exorcism to get the smell out.

Glove is 60 degree with single T, standard palm, skate lace. All else pretty stock- this was my first time ordering custom, so kept it simple. Arrived with the Clarino which is nice.

The only visual change I would have made would have been to put weave on the sliding surface. The white and red accents are in weave.

One question for anyone who got the gel in the knees. I think it was part of my order, but it just looks like black foam in there- does anyone have the gel? What does yours look like?

I'll be ditching the toe strap and replacing with my HAL's- it doesn't fit too well through the cowlings on my Graf's. The elastic boot strap seems really long when I tried it in the living room. I've read the same from others, so may need to get a shorter strap like others have done. I might also just remove it like I did on my Vaughns.

I haven't got to wear it yet- still working on getting used to my other new pieces of (internal) gear. Happened a couple of weeks before the gear arrived.

20190706_164621.jpg

20190706_164813.jpg

20190706_171530.jpg

20190706_171633.jpg

20190706_171659.jpg

20190706_164719.jpg

20190706_164741.jpg

20190503_102912.jpg

18 hours ago, 2padstack said:

I haven't got to wear it yet- still working on getting used to my other new pieces of (internal) gear. Happened a couple of weeks before the gear arrived.

20190503_102912.jpg

Holy crap - no wonder I couldn't find any drywall screws at Home Depot last time I went!

What happened there? Quick kick after the wife/girlfriend spotted you looking the wrong way?

• Haha 1

My wife likes to joke she pushed me down the stairs, but I went out to throw some salt down after my game at about 10 at night so the kids wouldn't slip on it the next morning going to school. The ice didn't want any part of that, so it took me down. Shattered fibula and dislocated ankle. I'm just about 4 months into recovery and still can't get the swelling down. Was hoping to be playing already, now I'm hoping for September. The only good thing was it was literally both of my girls last weekend of hockey, and I goalie coach them both, so we weren't struggling to get them to their ice times.

Man, that is all sorts of pain just looking at it. All kidding aside, I'm really sorry about the injury. As you said, at least the season is clear for a while, so thank goodness for the small graces.

Here hoping for as quick a recovery as possible.

Thanks for the well wishes Colander...no blood clots IP, that's some serious stuff.

I've strained an MCL and it was pretty uncomfortable, I can't imagine a complete tear.

One thing just looking at the pads, I wish that inside attachment for the boot strap was removable. I'm a little concerned that if I don't use the boot strap the buckle might interfere with that inside edge.

1 hour ago, 2padstack said:

Thanks for the well wishes Colander...no blood clots IP, that's some serious stuff.

I've strained an MCL and it was pretty uncomfortable, I can't imagine a complete tear.

One thing just looking at the pads, I wish that inside attachment for the boot strap was removable. I'm a little concerned that if I don't use the boot strap the buckle might interfere with that inside edge.

Everything is removable if your knife is sharp enough. ;)

9 hours ago, 2padstack said:

100% true, just want to avoid that. I'll see about getting shorter boot straps and trying them first before I remove them.

Does anyone have the gel? Here is what it looks like inside my knee. Doesn't look like gel, just foam.

20190505_191909.jpg

I got the gel on my chest protector in the last 7 months and while I haven't opened it up to see, I believe that is likely EcoPROFoam and the 'gel' terminology is left over from when they used Maltese.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:27 PM, southpawtendy48 said:

holy shit, that's gotta be painful. are you still in recovery from it?

Not had it repaired. Playing with a massively expensive carbon fiber DonJoy brace. Had to open up my knee and leg channel to accommodate the bulk. Some straps are at the last hole. But it works.