Punisher Goalie's Videos

Punisher Goalie

4 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Man, for someone who started in goal in their mid-30's just a few months ago, you're doing phenomenal! You should feel like you're off to a strong start.

I only watched the first minute or so of the video, but I did see one big thing I would suggest working on. You're not really skating with your stick in position - it's floating around, and then you're dropping it down when you go down. That baby should be flat on the ice, regardless of whether you're skating out from the post, or getting up and heading back to the other post. Aside from the obvious 5-hole coverage, your stick in going to lead the rest of your body when you skate and reposition yourself. It's an old adage, but when your stick is square with the puck, the rest of your body's going to follow - arms, shoulders, torso, and legs. It also forces you to stay low, it keeps you leaning forward a bit, and helps your skating momentum.

I'm sure 'keep your stick square and on the ice' is probably something you've heard before, even playing just a few months. It is certainly not the most original or interesting piece of advice, but it's something almost all goalies need to do, regardless of their skill level. I know that I focus on being both mindful and active with my stick when I'm struggling, and I find that such a small thing paves the way for plenty of good side effects.

Blaaaah I'm an idiot, yes of course you're right. Now that you point that out my stick is all over the place. So serious question related to this - are you (or anyone) able to tell if my stick paddle length is the correct fit? I ask this only because I know that to keep my stick on the ice I have to be in a very low position with this stick. I have been able to consciously make myself do that in the past, its just that when I compare myself to other goalie videos, it looks like maybe I have to get further down in my stance to get the blade flat on the ice than others.

I will definitely work on that next time - thank you!

1 hour ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

That's a heck of a workout!  The two puck/back side pushes drill - awesome.  It would take me probably 5 minutes to get around 1 puck let alone both.

You might want to check out the section on blocker side saves - watch your feet.  Back when it was mentioned to be "set" for the shot, you'll see how your feet are in motion, though the rest of you isn't much.  Maybe you're too jacked, or anxious or had too many RedBulls......but keep those feet planted until the shot is released.

And I'm very much down with what stackem said.  I've drilled that into my kids since they started playing goal.  My daughter has fantastic control of her goalie stick and she moves with it pretty well.  My son (2 years younger) is still working on it, but not too bad either.

Yeah, clearly this is going to be something I have to work on. Anxious is right - I feel like I'm trying to constantly make micro-adjustments to my body position to maintain the angle. I think my inexperience also shows with this because I have a tough time anticipating the timing of the shot. Thanks for the observation and suggestions!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of the position of the camera, (in the net,) it’s hard to tell if you are doing this in a game situation, but in the practice, your glove is pointing away from the puck. Look at 1:17 – (where your caption reads “Blocker side now”). The pocket of the glove is pointing right at the camera – and that’s not where the shot is originating. You are working harder that you need to every time you take a shot to the glove side and losing a bit of time when you have to rotate your wrist each time the shot comes. Square the face of the glove up to the puck and you’ll be amazed how many pucks not only just end up in there, but stay there.

Also, when taking shots in practice, you drop on every one. For something from the waste up, you’re just making extra work for yourself.

(Notice that both these comments are centred on saving energy- important stuff for us old guys)

4 hours ago, Ghostender said:

Because of the position of the camera, (in the net,) it’s hard to tell if you are doing this in a game situation, but in the practice, your glove is pointing away from the puck. Look at 1:17 – (where your caption reads “Blocker side now”). The pocket of the glove is pointing right at the camera – and that’s not where the shot is originating. You are working harder that you need to every time you take a shot to the glove side and losing a bit of time when you have to rotate your wrist each time the shot comes. Square the face of the glove up to the puck and you’ll be amazed how many pucks not only just end up in there, but stay there.

Also, when taking shots in practice, you drop on every one. For something from the waste up, you’re just making extra work for yourself.

(Notice that both these comments are centred on saving energy- important stuff for us old guys)

Yes you are 100% correct on both points. This is really helpful feedback from everyone!

Going to have to work on the glove position. Now that you point that out, I realize that I have a lot of pucks strike the base of my palm and pop out, perhaps because that's the part of the glove I have facing the puck. 

Will try to change the angle next time. I'm a little worried that I hold it like this because of how loose I wear the wrist strap (I'm left handed and I hate having my glove locked in - I have tried it but I strongly prefer to be able to get my hand in and out of the glove easily for water, etc., I know that's dumb). 

29 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Yes you are 100% correct on both points. This is really helpful feedback from everyone!

Going to have to work on the glove position. Now that you point that out, I realize that I have a lot of pucks strike the base of my palm and pop out, perhaps because that's the part of the glove I have facing the puck. 

Will try to change the angle next time. I'm a little worried that I hold it like this because of how loose I wear the wrist strap (I'm left handed and I hate having my glove locked in - I have tried it but I strongly prefer to be able to get my hand in and out of the glove easily for water, etc., I know that's dumb). 

For an example of how not to use your glove, check out the video I posted last night.  2nd goal against, I didn't have my hand in the right position and in the course of moving it I whiffed and the puck sailed right past me.  Wasn't even a particularly fast or hard shot.  Embarassing.

I'm a lefty too, but I just take off my blocker instead.  I keep it lightly snug so it doesn't slide off my hand, but loose enough I can quickly get it in and out for drinks of water/equipment adjustment/ etc.  Remember that you are holding the stick with your blocker, it's less likely to just fall off. :)

4 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

...I'm a little worried that I hold it like this because of how loose I wear the wrist strap (I'm left handed and I hate having my glove locked in - I have tried it but I strongly prefer to be able to get my hand in and out of the glove easily for water, etc., I know that's dumb). 

Wrong - it's brilliant - because that's exactly what I do :). As with you and Dropout, I am a lefty who plays "regular". I leave my trapper loose so I can take it off quickly to use the water bottle. At this point I don't have a problem with the trapper being loose on my wrist (or at least I can't blame my crappy glove hand on it...).

While it's important to have the basics down, as I have said before to others, as far as preferences are concerned  in goaltending "one size does not fit all".

New pickup video. This will be the last time I use the in-net cam for these because I really want to be able to see more of the play and get feedback on my positioning, etc. I'll use the behind-the-net suction cup next time. 

A few things about this session:

1. I am trying out the stock steel from my CCM Tacks. I was really getting frustrated with the Step Extreme steel feeling like I was too tall and having a really hard time trying to stay low and keep my stick not the ice. Jury is still out, but I definitely felt more connected to the ice. Only concern I have is the attack angle and whether I can get a powerful enough push. One issue is that the sharpening was not good, so I need to try a deeper hollow next. Ultimately, I’m going to order VH custom skates, just deciding whether to go 1- or 2-piece at this point.

2. I think I had a bit too much going on in my head this session. Was really trying to stay low and lead all of my movements with my stick. I do feel like I did a better job of this, but it came at the expense of other things, like it looks like a really reverted to drifting back all the time instead of setting my feet. I do think I was better about not playing on my knees and relying on sliding so much.

3. My left knee pad was giving me horrendous problems. They are Ritual X Pros and the top portion was sliding all the way down to where the bottom portion is. I’ve never had this problem except for my last two skates. It was really badly interfering with my butterfly position and I have a huge bruise today where the hard “cuff” part was hitting my lower thigh. Need to figure out a solution before the next skate.

All-in-all, I was pretty happy with my play. Feeling confident that I should stick with the R/GTs and Warrior gloves going forward.

Gear for this session:

Mask - Bauer 960XPM

Chest/Arms: Vaughn V7 Pro Carbon

Pants: CCM Premier

Trapper/Blocker: Warrior Ritual G3

Leg Pads: Warrior R/GT Pro (w/Ritual X Pro knee pads)

Skates: CCM Tacks w/stock steel

Stick: Bauer Supreme 1S

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Ok finally put the camera up behind the glass for a proper view. The in-net view is cool, but this gives such a better perspective on the development of each play...

A few notes about this skate:

- This was the first skate since I removed the post wedges from my pads. I was really surprised by the difference in feel and I definitely had much less interference with my RVH.

- This was a better group of players than I’m used to - I really enjoyed the pace and they took some hard shots.

- There is a save around 3:56 where I have to dive to the right post. I’m proud of this save, but I landed squarely on my dick (jock that is) and it hurt like a motherfucker the rest of the time out there. Not trying to make excuses, but I’m going to need to invest in a better cup for next time...

- Fixed the knee pad sliding down issue - just used sock tape around the top and it was much better.

As always, I would love to hear any feedback you have on my play! Thank you!

Another session yesterday. Went back to in-net by accident, sorry I didn’t remember to bring the suction cup. This is probably my last scrimmage/pickup before our season starts next week - will definitely post some live game film from behind the glass.

I felt pretty good this session but my skates were absolutely killing me. My VH’s can’t get here fast enough...

Trying out a new mask in this one, finally got one small enough that I feel its secure and not moving around on me. Please let me know what you think! Thanks!

You do a very good job of squaring up to the puck in relation to the net and you have the one thing a goalie cant get around no matter what: you're a good skater. The only thing I would suggest is trusting yourself a little more and doing a better job of getting set. You sometimes are still moving while the shot is on its way. Just a question of gaining more experience. Like was mentioned earlier in your thread; pretty amazing you've been in net less than a year. Nice work!

After watching all your videos (and commenting sometimes) I decidetd, that you didn´t start playing this year at all and you are only kidding us here:D ! Seriously, nice work and progress. As I said before, your skating is very good and it helps a lot. In my opinion, you sometimes slide inside cage instead to the post (who doesn´t ?), but it comes with practice and more games. Try to work on T-push move, sometimes you use slide to cover far distance, but you should be skating.

You are example that strong skating is realy great advantage. I sometimes think about going to train/play as a player to gain new experience. But whenever I go to ice, I like to be in goalie gear, I even realy enjoy practice (since being goalie, I played as a player once and lot of years ago).

23 hours ago, Fullright said:

You do a very good job of squaring up to the puck in relation to the net and you have the one thing a goalie cant get around no matter what: you're a good skater. The only thing I would suggest is trusting yourself a little more and doing a better job of getting set. You sometimes are still moving while the shot is on its way. Just a question of gaining more experience. Like was mentioned earlier in your thread; pretty amazing you've been in net less than a year. Nice work!

16 hours ago, mik said:

After watching all your videos (and commenting sometimes) I decidetd, that you didn´t start playing this year at all and you are only kidding us here:D ! Seriously, nice work and progress. As I said before, your skating is very good and it helps a lot. In my opinion, you sometimes slide inside cage instead to the post (who doesn´t ?), but it comes with practice and more games. Try to work on T-push move, sometimes you use slide to cover far distance, but you should be skating.

You are example that strong skating is realy great advantage. I sometimes think about going to train/play as a player to gain new experience. But whenever I go to ice, I like to be in goalie gear, I even realy enjoy practice (since being goalie, I played as a player once and lot of years ago).

Thank you I really appreciate the compliments and feedback. I’m lucky to have a lot of skating experience but certainly started with little to no understanding of how to play the position!

@Fullright yes I definitely need to build up that confidence to get set. It’s tough playing pickup sessions with such a varying level of skill to gauge their speed correctly and the ex-defenseman in me is always erring on the side of caution causing me to drift back in net. 

@mik you’re right I need to try to t push more than I do to cover long distances. It’s taken me a while to start getting the feel for using the inside edge and I’m starting to get less “choppy” now. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Got some new pads and took them out to SNP to break them in and get used to them. I also FINALLY took a goalie lesson last week which was very eye-opening. The coach did not want to overload me with too much so right now I am really going to focus on improving my T-push form. He gave me a few drills which I’m doing in this video. Let me know what you think!

ETA: Music is inspired by pad name lol...

Legs burning some? Lol. Nice effing job! Doing drills like those with new pillows and a new glove had to add another layer of pain to an otherwise tough work out. The stick and the blocker positioning when getting up will get easier as your gear breaks in. Some of the blocker positioning thing seems related to it catching on the top of your pad so a big part of it is just getting the gear worn in some. I don't know how you guys can play with those gloves that are like bricks. What kind of palm do you have in it? Looking good, Mr. P.

19 hours ago, Fullright said:

Legs burning some? Lol. Nice effing job! Doing drills like those with new pillows and a new glove had to add another layer of pain to an otherwise tough work out. The stick and the blocker positioning when getting up will get easier as your gear breaks in. Some of the blocker positioning thing seems related to it catching on the top of your pad so a big part of it is just getting the gear worn in some. I don't know how you guys can play with those gloves that are like bricks. What kind of palm do you have in it? Looking good, Mr. P.

Thank you! Yeah stuff like that will definitely require some adjustment but I was really pleased with the fit (no more falling off the knee block it seems) and the sliding and rebounds were outstanding.

As far as I know, the G3Netik glove has a “game ready” palm but it definitely feels waaaay thicker than my Ritual G3. I like that I (hopefully) won’t be getting stingers but it is definitely going to be a long time before I get to the “flappiness” of the Ritual that I like. Its all a trade off I guess.

My first game of the Winter season. A disappointing 4-3 OT loss. Faced 60 shots though, so I can’t be too upset.

Would love to hear any feedback you all have on how to improve. Thanks again!

In case anyone is interested, gear for this game is:

Mask: CCM Pro

C/A: Passau Standard

Glove/Blocker: Warrior Ritual G3

Pants: Bauer Supreme 1S

Skates: CCM Tacks

Leg Pads: Brian’s Sub Zero 3 Pro

14 hours ago, Imperative said:

You looked really busy, tough to lose in a such a close game. 

Yeah and the OT goal was by far the weakest, or at least it felt that way. In the 2nd period (where I didn't have the camera behind me) that same player tried that move twice and I made the save, this time I left the 5 hole open...

22 hours ago, 1C5 said:

Love the all white pads and mask look. Not sure why the all white gets shit on so much but always looks sharp to me. 

Thank you! I was thinking about doing a PadSkinz design on these, but may just leave em.

18 hours ago, Fullright said:

Good game! Friendly suggestion: keep in mind how your blocker is positioned. It doesnt happen often but sometimes it rests against your pad...maybe move your hand a little forward.

All you need is playing time.

Great observation, thank you. I'm going to try to watch this next time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2017 at 10:50 PM, Hills said:

For someone who just started out in February you are really solid. Good job! 

Do you like the Subzeros more than the Warriors?

Thank you! So far, yes I am already more comfortable in the Sub Zeros, most likely due to them being a better size for me. My knee finally hit square in the middle of the landing gear. I’m also liking the flat face for hard rebounds. Seems to suit my game better at least right now.

Been a little while, but here is my latest pickup video.

Several gear changes, but starting to feel really comfortable with this setup:

Mask: Sportmask Pro Series 2

C/A: Passau Standard

Glove: Brian’s G3netik Pro

Blocker: Brian’s Sub Zero 3 Pro

Pants: Bauer Supreme 1S

Leg Pads: Brian’s Sub Zero 3 Pro

Skates: CCM Tacks

Archived