Punisher Goalie's Videos

Punisher Goalie

20 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

My latest pickup session. Put the camera on the glass this time. I’m going to try to do that more often so I can see more of the play.

I felt just OK about my play. I did make a lot of pedestrian belly saves (which I cut out of the video) which hopefully means I was on angle for those. There were also several where I got a piece of the puck but not enough to direct it out of play. 

In case anyone is wondering, I switched into my 1S set and plan on rotating between those and the Optiks because the Bucky on my Optiks is starting to take a beating from 2+ ice sessions a week. I don’t really have any difficulty adjusting to switching between the two (yep, the mistakes are all me, no equipment to blame...). 

The main thing I’m trying to focus on is keeping my hands out in front of me, especially for lateral movements. As @coopaloop1234 correctly pointed out above, I have “rodeo arms” syndrome, particularly when recovering from the butterfly. 

Anyway, I welcome any and all comments and suggestions!

ETA: I was also really trying hard to take @old but slow‘s suggestion of using an active stick to control rebounds. Definitely did not do it perfectly or consistently, but starting to get a sense of what I need to do. Thanks!

played well me thinks,  gotta love the guy shouting nice save every time you make a save, wish i had a guy like that on my team, nice little confidence boost

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with @old but slow: you are putting a lot of rebounds into the prime scoring areas, and a big part of it is due to not exploiting your stick. Look at the save around 5:15: it appears you took the shot off the pad and created the proverbial “juicy” rebound – “juicy” because of where it went.  Proper use of the stick puts that well off to the side of the rink – and too hot to handle for the two opponent to your left if you chose to put it that side.

I know a lot of people are sold on how well they can rocket the puck their pads, but usually positional control of the rebound is lost or at least damped. Practicing with twisting your wrist the right way at the right time affords you pretty incredible control of where the rebound actually goes. And remember – the corner of the rink is your friend in that case.

One other thing about that save:  you originally poked the puck away but it ended up on the stick of someone at the top of the right circle. You went from being down, to getting up to dropping for the save all in under 1.5 seconds. In that case (even having been trained as a standup goalie) I would have stayed down and pushed to centre on the origin of the shot. Getting up, positioned and then dropping again requires extra time and movements that just beg to get you (or at least an appendage) caught out of position.

Also, at 5:26, when you made the save, look where you ended up – right in front of the post. You drifted back to the post and essentially took away your centration giving the shooter a lot of the right side of the net to see.

In the first minute of your video you do a good job with your stick, consequently, during that first minute there is little to no evidence of rodeo arms. Also, in trying to use your stick more, your arms are further out in front and your stick is on the ice covering the 5 hole. In the middle portion of the video you get away from using your stick and your rebound control and your arm discipline goes away. Looks like you played pretty well anyway.

2 hours ago, old but slow said:

In the first minute of your video you do a good job with your stick, consequently, during that first minute there is little to no evidence of rodeo arms. Also, in trying to use your stick more, your arms are further out in front and your stick is on the ice covering the 5 hole. In the middle portion of the video you get away from using your stick and your rebound control and your arm discipline goes away. Looks like you played pretty well anyway.

Yes - apologies if my previous post came out a bit "stiff". In my exuberance to provide what I hoped was some useful feedback I ignored citing all the good things you did in the game such as your mobility and b-fly slides. Keep up the good work, please keep posting - and take input from old goats like me with a shaker-ful of salt :thumbup:

On 3/7/2018 at 9:50 AM, Znowleopard said:

played well me thinks,  gotta love the guy shouting nice save every time you make a save, wish i had a guy like that on my team, nice little confidence boost

Thanks and yes, that guy is cool and a former goalie. I didn’t realize he did it that much until I watched the video back lol

22 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

@Punisher Goalie On the goal at 1:09, doesn't look like you're quite square to the puck. You're challenging well and your b-fly slides look good. Good use of your stick to control rebounds.

Thank you - yes you are right I’m not square there. This is something I struggle with, I tend to square up to the body of the shooter and not the puck.

19 hours ago, Ghostender said:

I have to agree with @old but slow: you are putting a lot of rebounds into the prime scoring areas, and a big part of it is due to not exploiting your stick. Look at the save around 5:15: it appears you took the shot off the pad and created the proverbial “juicy” rebound – “juicy” because of where it went.  Proper use of the stick puts that well off to the side of the rink – and too hot to handle for the two opponent to your left if you chose to put it that side.

I know a lot of people are sold on how well they can rocket the puck their pads, but usually positional control of the rebound is lost or at least damped. Practicing with twisting your wrist the right way at the right time affords you pretty incredible control of where the rebound actually goes. And remember – the corner of the rink is your friend in that case.

One other thing about that save:  you originally poked the puck away but it ended up on the stick of someone at the top of the right circle. You went from being down, to getting up to dropping for the save all in under 1.5 seconds. In that case (even having been trained as a standup goalie) I would have stayed down and pushed to centre on the origin of the shot. Getting up, positioned and then dropping again requires extra time and movements that just beg to get you (or at least an appendage) caught out of position.

Also, at 5:26, when you made the save, look where you ended up – right in front of the post. You drifted back to the post and essentially took away your centration giving the shooter a lot of the right side of the net to see.

These are all great observations, thanks. On the movement issue at 5:15 I see what you are saying about how I could have slid into proper position. I guess I am trying to emphasize recovering to my feet because in the past I have relied too much on sliding on my knees so now even when its the proper thing to do I’m not doing it.

16 hours ago, old but slow said:

Yeah 100% right - I think I’m getting tired throughout the session and breaking form. 

14 hours ago, Ghostender said:

Yes - apologies if my previous post came out a bit "stiff". In my exuberance to provide what I hoped was some useful feedback I ignored citing all the good things you did in the game such as your mobility and b-fly slides. Keep up the good work, please keep posting - and take input from old goats like me with a shaker-ful of salt :thumbup:

No worries at all! Any feedback is helpful feedback and I can take criticism - that’s why I post these videos!

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

Good skate @Punisher Goalie... How do you compare the sliding of the 1S to the Optik?  It seem at times in the video that you slide went to far or just over rotated

Thanks man. The 1S slide faster than Optik, I think that’s really clear. The Optiks still slide very fast and, IMO, they let you slide with a little more control. 1S feels like sliding on rails, Optik feels more organic, if that makes any sense. So yeah, you’re right I was over-sliding a bit with the 1S. Overall I really love both sets and plan to rotate them. 

Latest pickup session is up. This was a weird one. I felt pretty sluggish, like I was behind the play all the time. Let in several soft goals, as you’ll see. 

This damn rodeo arm thing is hard to shake. Its crazy how pronounced it is on video and I have no idea I’m doing it on the ice. I will say that the few times I really concentrated on keeping my arms in front of me and under control, my movements felt snappier and faster. Going to be a work in progress...

As always, any and all comments and suggestions are welcome!

Ok, take a step back. You weren't bad and didn't play as poorly as your comments suggest you think you played. It was just one skate and despite hating it, sometimes they go in. So yourself a favor and don't let it into your head. Only thing I saw is just being a little less than set. Your feet were moving before shots were released. Easy fix. Just concentrate on staying set. Rodeo arms is all about a goalie's ass, legs, and core with the idea being you generate torque to move from those areas and not from your arms. That just takes time to strengthen those areas anatomically. It will come. On the arms themselves, I know doctrine says we don't want to move them wildly so we stay compact and on balance. Here's the thing. Unless rodeo arms are causing you to give up goals, so what? Form matters and is significant but don't let form take greater importance than stopping the puck. 

5 hours ago, Fullright said:

Here's the thing. Unless rodeo arms are causing you to give up goals, so what? Form matters and is significant but don't let form take greater importance than stopping the puck. 

Thanks for pointing this out FR - exactly what I was thinking. BTW, I seem to recall some guy in the past saying "it doesn't matter how you stop the puck" - some people say he wasn't too bad a goalie as well.

I saw maybe one instance in this last video where there was some loss of control in your glove. Everyone does that to some extent at times (take a look at a lot of "highlight reel" saves: a  lot of times the appendages are shall we say somewhat less than controlled, but when you block that cross-crease one-timer with the very tip of your outstretched toe while in the splits, no one says "Look! His arm is out of position - what a seive"). Get your basics down, especially being comfortable with your skating and I bet the other stuff falls into place. Keep up the good stuff!

19 hours ago, Fullright said:

Ok, take a step back. You weren't bad and didn't play as poorly as your comments suggest you think you played. It was just one skate and despite hating it, sometimes they go in. So yourself a favor and don't let it into your head. Only thing I saw is just being a little less than set. Your feet were moving before shots were released. Easy fix. Just concentrate on staying set. Rodeo arms is all about a goalie's ass, legs, and core with the idea being you generate torque to move from those areas and not from your arms. That just takes time to strengthen those areas anatomically. It will come. On the arms themselves, I know doctrine says we don't want to move them wildly so we stay compact and on balance. Here's the thing. Unless rodeo arms are causing you to give up goals, so what? Form matters and is significant but don't let form take greater importance than stopping the puck. 

Thanks, I appreciate that perspective. Its funny how I tend to get more frustrated when I make mistakes in my movement where the play doesn’t even result in a shot on net, I.e., not being on angle, etc. You are right of course that at some point you’ve got to put function over form.

I appreciate the observation on setting my feet, too. I find I’m still struggling with that when the puck is being carried toward the net before the shot. 

14 hours ago, Ghostender said:

Thanks for pointing this out FR - exactly what I was thinking. BTW, I seem to recall some guy in the past saying "it doesn't matter how you stop the puck" - some people say he wasn't too bad a goalie as well.

I saw maybe one instance in this last video where there was some loss of control in your glove. Everyone does that to some extent at times (take a look at a lot of "highlight reel" saves: a  lot of times the appendages are shall we say somewhat less than controlled, but when you block that cross-crease one-timer with the very tip of your outstretched toe while in the splits, no one says "Look! His arm is out of position - what a seive"). Get your basics down, especially being comfortable with your skating and I bet the other stuff falls into place. Keep up the good stuff!

I appreciate that. Its a great point. For some reason, I want every save to be a “routine” one where I’m on angle at a good depth and there’s no playable rebound, etc., but obviously that’s not going to happen. 

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

...For some reason, I want every save to be a “routine” one where I’m on angle at a good depth and there’s no playable rebound, etc., but obviously that’s not going to happen. 

We all do, but....one other thing you have to consider is the type of hockey you play. Especially in shinny if your D is weak or absent and the forwards are flying, you are probably going to see a lot of plays that require “impossible” saves – such as the coveted pass-across-the-hashmarks-converted-into-a-high-glove-one-timer. At just a tad over 5’-7” it’s not pretty when I am trying to get something in the way.

5 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Thanks, I appreciate that perspective. Its funny how I tend to get more frustrated when I make mistakes in my movement where the play doesn’t even result in a shot on net, I.e., not being on angle, etc. You are right of course that at some point you’ve got to put function over form.

I appreciate the observation on setting my feet, too. I find I’m still struggling with that when the puck is being carried toward the net before the shot. 

You're very welcome and maybe I read too much into your remarks with the video. Your last film and your comments looked and sounded like a fella who is beginning to try too hard. I have done that, still do, and my guess is all of us fall into that. It is very easy to do when folks are watching you in the stands or particularly when you are putting yourself out there on the web knowing that a bunch of guys you don't know personally are going to see you play. Do what works for you, try to work on one thing at a time, and let the play come to you. Everyone goes about it a little differently and some are very outdated (that would be me :) ). You're a good goalie so continue to have confidence in yourself and enjoy it.

15 hours ago, Fullright said:

...Everyone goes about it a little differently and some are very outdated (that would be me :) )

Hey, when did that club become exclusive?? I'm a member too and have been paying my annual dues (I even have the tax receipt).

Further to the comment FR made about working on one thing, here's some homework: As you are lucky enough to have the videos, I would say review all of them them closely and pick the one thing you see as the most detrimental to your tending and then work on that exclusively. I think you will not only see an improvement to that part of your game but your global play will improve as well.

Please note: I am not trying to be critical of your play - we can always be better - when we stop looking for ways to improve, that's when our game (or anything we work at in life) drops into a nosedive.

Short one this time - camera only caught the 2nd period.

Won 7-1 and faced 26 shots. I was pretty happy with my overall play. I took @Ghostender‘s advice and decided to focus on one thing - using my stick to direct shots as much as possible - and tried not thinking about anything else and just playing. I was pretty happy with the results. Had a bunch of scramble situations in particular that I was pleased with my tracking of the puck.

Pretty proud of the save at 0:49 too :)

Thanks again for all your advice!

19 hours ago, Ghostender said:

Looked good. The save at 0:49 was a beauty, and as far as using the stick is concerned - at 0:57: that's that way ya do it!

12 hours ago, Imperative said:

@Punisher Goalie

looked good! Great glove save at :52! I thought you did a great job of using your stick to knife pucks out of harms way. I thought you played a very controlled game 1 on 26 is a great save %

Thanks, gentlemen. I was happy with this one. Focusing on one thing helped for sure.

12 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Nice skate Pun... Notice you're rocking your 1S set more and more lately... Prefer them over the Optiks?

I have been favoring them more lately. Mostly because my league is heading into playoffs. I’m more familiar with them and for now I will probably stick with them until playoffs end then switch to the Optiks full time this Spring/Summer.

I wouldn’t say they perform better than the Optiks, just different. I think others have made this comparison, but 1S is like a German sports car - 1:1 responsiveness - while Optiks are more forgiving/organic feeling. In my current mindset, I’m preferring the performance of the 1S. I know myself though and I like having two options like this to switch between. 

My last game of the regular season and picked up my first shutout of 2017-2018!

Once again, only the 2nd period for this one. Overall I was really happy with my performance. All the saves in the 2nd were sort of ho-hum, so not the most exciting video - really wish I had film of the 3rd when there was a ton of action. 28 saves total.

I will try to get a face-on video for the next one. I’d like to get a better look at my hands and particularly stick placement since I’ve decided to really focus on that for the time being.

Thanks for watching!

18 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

My last game of the regular season and picked up my first shutout of 2017-2018!

Once again, only the 2nd period for this one. Overall I was really happy with my performance. All the saves in the 2nd were sort of ho-hum, so not the most exciting video - really wish I had film of the 3rd when there was a ton of action. 28 saves total...

First, congrats on the shutout - overall I thought you looked good, and...

I think a big part of the reason the second period was "ho-hum" as you put it was because of your rebound control. Per your desire to work in it, you did a good job of re-directing a lot of the initial shots to the side or corner while at other times didn't give a rebound at all. I think I saw one rebound that wasn't well controlled in the video, and we all get those - sometimes we're just  happy to make the initial save:thumbup:

Keep analyzing your videos, pick out what you want to work on and you'll be posting a lot more low GA games or shutouts! I'll be watching for more - do you have spring or summer hockey in the works?

On 3/24/2018 at 11:36 AM, Ghostender said:

First, congrats on the shutout - overall I thought you looked good, and...

I think a big part of the reason the second period was "ho-hum" as you put it was because of your rebound control. Per your desire to work in it, you did a good job of re-directing a lot of the initial shots to the side or corner while at other times didn't give a rebound at all. I think I saw one rebound that wasn't well controlled in the video, and we all get those - sometimes we're just  happy to make the initial save:thumbup:

Keep analyzing your videos, pick out what you want to work on and you'll be posting a lot more low GA games or shutouts! I'll be watching for more - do you have spring or summer hockey in the works?

Thank you! I really can’t tell you how much watching the film and getting the feedback from everyone here is helping me.

Yes, I am going to play spring and summer! Will definitely keep posting!

Another pickup session - great workout, faced tons of shots. I actually cut out several routine plays because this video was so long!

I’m pretty happy with my play. Some of the goals I let in were pretty dumb lapses in judgment, particularly the play at 2:46, IDK what the hell I was thinking chasing the play like that. Had a few plays where I wasn’t on angle at all, got away with some others not. The one at 1:50 looks like I favored my blocker side way too much and left the far side open. 

Really enjoying working on my game as playoffs begin. As always, any and all feedback is welcome!

Archived