Punisher Goalie's Videos

Punisher Goalie

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a while, so wanted to post a new video. Unfortunately, we were eliminated from the playoffs with something of a whimper. I wasn’t too disappointed with my play, just the results. On to summer!

This is a pickup session and my very first time out on my new VH one piece skates! LOVE them so far. I can tell they are going to be exactly what I hoped for - the perfect balance between the low stable feeling of the cowling but with a good attack angle due to being cowlingless. I really like the more neutral pitch too. ONE BIG PROBLEM though, I got a horrendous first sharpening on them. I usually play 3/4” (this is on 4mm blades, so no difference there) and the guy apparently did them at 1/4”! I could barely shuffle, etc. and had to dull them on the door way.

Looking forward to skating on them again next week now that I have a proper sharpening. As always, would love to hear your feedback on how to improve!

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Looking forward to skating on them again next week now that I have a proper sharpening. As always, would love to hear your feedback on how to improve!

The biggest thing I noticed is that you tend to be more square on your inside post than the outside.
Prioritize your play to eliminating one or more of these three things: time, options, and space, not necessarily in that order.

See here at about the 1:50 mark.  Using your shoulders and hips as reference points, it looks like you are presenting more of your left side than your right.  This becomes more apparent when you make the save in the second shot.

Also notice how you are drifting back, you lost about a foot of depth from identifying the threat and making the save. 
In a situation like this, set your feet so you can take away net.

image.png.0952c744bcfab587b44bcf6df9423028.pngimage.png.86311e79d505ff703f7f3a9bf8fd9656.png

Here's another example at 2:27, you are giving a lot of space blocker side but if he kept going he might have been able to tuck it on your glove side.

image.png.c7eb7403588b413d28602b0e476fa8ea.png

I think this goal that went in around 3:10 is a good example of being "under-square" on your blocker side.  I think an RVH on the post should only be used in tight.

image.png.7fb036b16aaa7993a0c81a6766469830.png

Here at 2:57, I recommend you get your glove on top of the pad angled towards the puck to smother the angle, there are dudes who can lift it backhand bar down from there.

image.png.bde8e0a75bdae1a368e94fef7609f0bf.png

Here's a 2-on-1 at 5:14 where I think a straight T push would have benefited you.  Look at your foot angle and how much depth you are losing.  You lost some time with the entire body pivot.

image.png.6d9138f880cc31c05b2b5a3d9e1d446c.png

When you are playing the puck, lean into it to get the stick to flex more.  Let the stick do the work, your hands are for leverage and your right hand should be used for precision, control, and slight changes to blade angle to put it where you want.

image.png.44fc29052563ddfdfff524b0b02df74e.png

Hope this helps!

17 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

The biggest thing I noticed is that you tend to be more square on your inside post than the outside.
Prioritize your play to eliminating one or more of these three things: time, options, and space, not necessarily in that order.

See here at about the 1:50 mark.  Using your shoulders and hips as reference points, it looks like you are presenting more of your left side than your right.  This becomes more apparent when you make the save in the second shot.

Also notice how you are drifting back, you lost about a foot of depth from identifying the threat and making the save. 
In a situation like this, set your feet so you can take away net.

image.png.0952c744bcfab587b44bcf6df9423028.pngimage.png.86311e79d505ff703f7f3a9bf8fd9656.png

Here's another example at 2:27, you are giving a lot of space blocker side but if he kept going he might have been able to tuck it on your glove side.

image.png.c7eb7403588b413d28602b0e476fa8ea.png

I think this goal that went in around 3:10 is a good example of being "under-square" on your blocker side.  I think an RVH on the post should only be used in tight.

image.png.7fb036b16aaa7993a0c81a6766469830.png

Here at 2:57, I recommend you get your glove on top of the pad angled towards the puck to smother the angle, there are dudes who can lift it backhand bar down from there.

image.png.bde8e0a75bdae1a368e94fef7609f0bf.png

Here's a 2-on-1 at 5:14 where I think a straight T push would have benefited you.  Look at your foot angle and how much depth you are losing.  You lost some time with the entire body pivot.

image.png.6d9138f880cc31c05b2b5a3d9e1d446c.png

When you are playing the puck, lean into it to get the stick to flex more.  Let the stick do the work, your hands are for leverage and your right hand should be used for precision, control, and slight changes to blade angle to put it where you want.

image.png.44fc29052563ddfdfff524b0b02df74e.png

Hope this helps!

Wow this is unbelievably helpful. Of course you are 100% correct about being square on the glove side. Weird, it certainly doesn’t feel that way on the ice. I’ll need to work on that for sure.

One question though - this is going to sound silly but how does one do a “straight” T-push? I’ve been working on that technique for a while and searching YouTube videos but they all basically say to rotate open and then push. Not that I’m even doing that correctly but any suggestions on technique would be super helpful. Thanks again!

9 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

One question though - this is going to sound silly but how does one do a “straight” T-push? I’ve been working on that technique for a while and searching YouTube videos but they all basically say to rotate open and then push. Not that I’m even doing that correctly but any suggestions on technique would be super helpful. Thanks again! 

Using the session you posted with a goalie coach, your T pushes to the left look fine.
As you noted in your video, your T pushes to your blocker side look more like C-cuts or shuffles.
The biggest difference I can see is that your shoulders pivot a little bit when you go left, but your upper body still faces center when you go right.
It's a little awkward with the stick there; use it as a reference and allow yourself to lead with the stick and hands and point the toe of your skate to where you wanna go.

Here's a video I found with some good form, pretty much identical to the drill you were running.

• 3 weeks later...

Back with two videos now - I played a game and pickup back-to-back nights. Now that Winter playoffs are done, I’m committing to dialing in the Optik set. After these two sessions, I’m really liking them again. I feel like I really benefit from the flex and the softer knees.

The game is up first. 5-2 loss. 3 of the 5 GAs were on really bad bounces. I’m pretty annoyed with myself because I let me frustrations boil over a little when, on reflection I played a decent game. Not the way I wanted to start out Spring season, but at least I have a chance to improve...

And here’s the pickup session. This was with the “fast” group from this bunch which has some ex-college and pro players. I got lit up, of course. It was two hours long so I cut out a lot of routine saves, but kept all the GAs lol. I was pretty happy with my scrambling plays but not so happy with my straight-forward butterfly saves. My stick was up a lot and I missed a lot of 5-hole shots.

As always, any feedback would be appreciated! And @Chenner29 thanks for the video above on T-pushes. I’ve been trying to work on that but clearly I don’t have the hip flexibility yet. Will keep at it though!

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2018 at 1:00 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

Been a little while. Here’s my first pickup session in my G4 kit. Loving the extreme lightweight and being back in a Warrior glove is awesome.

Hey, been a while since I checked in.  Looking good!

Your shoulders look much more square to the shot in these clips. 

Here's a couple things I picked up:

When you make this pass at 0:24, your feet aren't set. You can get a lot more power when you're not drifting.

image.png.ec5d58f0fb8f594c2d4d13b6ab6be210.png

Solid RVH post attachment and exit here at 0:48, I still can't do that.  I'm still defaulting to a VH on the post.

image.png.f40b742264f75908fa7152952c737ec0.png

One play I wanna break down is this one, starting at 1:30.
At 1:36, look at your right foot, it's slightly outside the post based on angle and puck location. Your left shoulder might be slightly under-square too, tough to say without a more aerial angle.
image.thumb.png.ff02ae7e7ff3fe431a4c4c0d79ea4145.png
At 1:37, you make a good challenge as the puck goes to the slot, but your shoulders are still a bit under-square.
image.png.7753c028e35bcb4915cfc4a5f54c344d.png
1:38, puck goes up and over behind the goal line.  IMO your recovery into post integration here could be smoothed out a bit.  You recover to both feet then C Cut into your post. 
IMO this is a good spot to RVH into your left post, but it's tough for me to say without seeing what's going on behind the camera.
image.png.ea562d3fb97ba3caff079123c96ce3fa.png

At 1:49, shot goes wide and it sounds like you hear it hit the back boards, but you recover with your right leg and pivot left , 180* and end up facing your net.
You end up making a nice recovery to eliminate the short side.  If you recovered with your left and RVHed into the right post this sequence would be a bit smoother and more controlled.

image.thumb.png.48197c2de45253f0ff9bf6ebb327439e.png

2:20, you get beat clean just past your blocker. Your feet weren't set, and it actually looks like you took an extra step to your left.  The snip below is a half second or so after the shooter's release.  There's a ton of daylight there, and it looks like your blocker is too tight to the body (possibly because you got caught mid weight shift).

image.thumb.png.cb43f3fc286a9c3f7e9648ef076e9904.png

On these shots where you have to reach, my recommendation is to resort less to fanning/windmilling your arm out to the side.
Instead, lean forward and into the shot with your blocker.  Here's where you ended up:

image.thumb.png.32b559752b5c4bac388c996a03eb6217.png

Here's a couple blurry screen caps of Price doing something similar.  I've attached the full clip as a link below.  Notice the weight shift to his right and how the blocker ends up on a plane in front of his body.

image.png.e4c89e7abb11008c6665fcabbfc25ce0.png

image.png.97532888659b6dd7dc896748a0c925c1.png

image.png.ec9f8f33d83dcee7b76b1b55ab9089d0.png

OK that's all I've got for now.  I've stumbled down a rabbit hole on Youtube and I can't get out.

On 7/7/2018 at 4:26 PM, Chenner29 said:

Hey, been a while since I checked in.  Looking good!

Your shoulders look much more square to the shot in these clips. 

Here's a couple things I picked up:

When you make this pass at 0:24, your feet aren't set. You can get a lot more power when you're not drifting.

image.png.ec5d58f0fb8f594c2d4d13b6ab6be210.png

Solid RVH post attachment and exit here at 0:48, I still can't do that.  I'm still defaulting to a VH on the post.

image.png.f40b742264f75908fa7152952c737ec0.png

One play I wanna break down is this one, starting at 1:30.
At 1:36, look at your right foot, it's slightly outside the post based on angle and puck location. Your left shoulder might be slightly under-square too, tough to say without a more aerial angle.
image.thumb.png.ff02ae7e7ff3fe431a4c4c0d79ea4145.png
At 1:37, you make a good challenge as the puck goes to the slot, but your shoulders are still a bit under-square.
image.png.7753c028e35bcb4915cfc4a5f54c344d.png
1:38, puck goes up and over behind the goal line.  IMO your recovery into post integration here could be smoothed out a bit.  You recover to both feet then C Cut into your post. 
IMO this is a good spot to RVH into your left post, but it's tough for me to say without seeing what's going on behind the camera.
image.png.ea562d3fb97ba3caff079123c96ce3fa.png

At 1:49, shot goes wide and it sounds like you hear it hit the back boards, but you recover with your right leg and pivot left , 180* and end up facing your net.
You end up making a nice recovery to eliminate the short side.  If you recovered with your left and RVHed into the right post this sequence would be a bit smoother and more controlled.

image.thumb.png.48197c2de45253f0ff9bf6ebb327439e.png

2:20, you get beat clean just past your blocker. Your feet weren't set, and it actually looks like you took an extra step to your left.  The snip below is a half second or so after the shooter's release.  There's a ton of daylight there, and it looks like your blocker is too tight to the body (possibly because you got caught mid weight shift).

image.thumb.png.cb43f3fc286a9c3f7e9648ef076e9904.png

On these shots where you have to reach, my recommendation is to resort less to fanning/windmilling your arm out to the side.
Instead, lean forward and into the shot with your blocker.  Here's where you ended up:

image.thumb.png.32b559752b5c4bac388c996a03eb6217.png

Here's a couple blurry screen caps of Price doing something similar.  I've attached the full clip as a link below.  Notice the weight shift to his right and how the blocker ends up on a plane in front of his body.

image.png.e4c89e7abb11008c6665fcabbfc25ce0.png

image.png.97532888659b6dd7dc896748a0c925c1.png

image.png.ec9f8f33d83dcee7b76b1b55ab9089d0.png

OK that's all I've got for now.  I've stumbled down a rabbit hole on Youtube and I can't get out.

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to do this breakdown. I can't tell you how helpful this is.

I appreciate the compliment on getting square - this has been a huge and ongoing struggle for me and its something I would never know except for posting videos and getting feedback from this forum.

You are spot on with what happened at 1:49, I misheard the impact and initially thought the puck was to my left and behind me, what's why my first step was in the wrong direction and I got all messed up from there.

In general, I have been trying to rely less on the RVH after reading a few articles on InGoalMag and elsewhere advocating for limited RVH use. I also find that I'm way faster coming off the post from my feet even if I need to drop down it just somehow seems more reliable. 

You are also 100% right on your last point about flailing the arms out to reach for the puck. The last lesson I had, the coach was trying to get me to delay dropping down a fraction of a second more so that I can read the release more and, as you suggested, try to drop in the path of the puck (not using the right terms, I'm sure) instead of dropping straight down and relying on reaching.

13 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to do this breakdown. I can't tell you how helpful this is.

I appreciate the compliment on getting square - this has been a huge and ongoing struggle for me and its something I would never know except for posting videos and getting feedback from this forum.

You are spot on with what happened at 1:49, I misheard the impact and initially thought the puck was to my left and behind me, what's why my first step was in the wrong direction and I got all messed up from there. 

In general, I have been trying to rely less on the RVH after reading a few articles on InGoalMag and elsewhere advocating for limited RVH use. I also find that I'm way faster coming off the post from my feet even if I need to drop down it just somehow seems more reliable.  

You are also 100% right on your last point about flailing the arms out to reach for the puck. The last lesson I had, the coach was trying to get me to delay dropping down a fraction of a second more so that I can read the release more and, as you suggested, try to drop in the path of the puck (not using the right terms, I'm sure) instead of dropping straight down and relying on reaching.

Here's a good shortcut for getting square.

Mentally divide the ice surface into 8 smaller pie slices with the pointy end hitting the center of your goal line.
Use visual markers.  Goal line to bottom of left faceoff circle, next check point is near left faceoff dot,  far left faceoff dot, center line.
Repeat for right side.
Here's a crude drawing, which is also a great illustration to show how little one has to move when the puck moves laterally.
Once the puck hits one of these zones, get your shoulders, hands, hips, and knees square and challenge.

image.png.beaee9a2ebca191aa1af6887f22922fe.png

This gives you your general orientation, and will help you keep your shoulders square to the shot once the puck is in any of the zones you carved out for yourself.
Once possession hits any of these zones, challenge appropriately and make sure your shoulders, hips, and hands are equidistant from the puck.

RVH has it's place until shooters evolve and find a work around.  VH against the pipe was the big thing before this.
Now that I think of it, why the hell is it called an RVH?  There's no vertical, it's all horizontal.
Like anything new, it gets picked apart relentlessly by commentators and armchair goalie coaches when a pro commits a grievous error.
Roy used to get ripped by the media if he dropped into a butterfly and a shot went crossbar in on him.  Now the butterfly is so ubiquitous, you don't hear commentators talk about those types of goals anymore.
On the other hand, Pekka misplays an RVH against Winnipeg in the playoffs and gets lambasted for weeks.
In essence, any save in a less than optimal spot against the best players in the world will make anyone look silly, just like how I wouldn't use a mop if I wanted to dig up a pile of dirt in my backyard.  The nice thing is, we aren't playing against that level of competition so we have some room to make even suboptimal saves work.

I used to really like InGoal but a lot of their articles recently seem to be rehashed content and their interviews are super dry. 
I mainly follow goalie instructors on Instagram/Snapchat to get my learning fix.  If I want a "window in," I go check out Players Tribune.

Cheers and feel free to post more stuff, as long as you don't mind me picking on your game. :)

7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I used to really like InGoal but a lot of their articles recently seem to be rehashed content and their interviews are super dry. 
I mainly follow goalie instructors on Instagram/Snapchat to get my learning fix.  If I want a "window in," I go check out Players Tribune.

Cheers and feel free to post more stuff, as long as you don't mind me picking on your game. :)

Excellent post.

Especially about InGoal. Them and GSBB used to be my go to but it just seems that InGoal isn't as good as it was.

9 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Here's a good shortcut for getting square.

Mentally divide the ice surface into 8 smaller pie slices with the pointy end hitting the center of your goal line.
Use visual markers.  Goal line to bottom of left faceoff circle, next check point is near left faceoff dot,  far left faceoff dot, center line.
Repeat for right side.
Here's a crude drawing, which is also a great illustration to show how little one has to move when the puck moves laterally.
Once the puck hits one of these zones, get your shoulders, hands, hips, and knees square and challenge.

image.png.beaee9a2ebca191aa1af6887f22922fe.png

This gives you your general orientation, and will help you keep your shoulders square to the shot once the puck is in any of the zones you carved out for yourself.
Once possession hits any of these zones, challenge appropriately and make sure your shoulders, hips, and hands are equidistant from the puck.

RVH has it's place until shooters evolve and find a work around.  VH against the pipe was the big thing before this.
Now that I think of it, why the hell is it called an RVH?  There's no vertical, it's all horizontal.
Like anything new, it gets picked apart relentlessly by commentators and armchair goalie coaches when a pro commits a grievous error.
Roy used to get ripped by the media if he dropped into a butterfly and a shot went crossbar in on him.  Now the butterfly is so ubiquitous, you don't hear commentators talk about those types of goals anymore.
On the other hand, Pekka misplays an RVH against Winnipeg in the playoffs and gets lambasted for weeks.
In essence, any save in a less than optimal spot against the best players in the world will make anyone look silly, just like how I wouldn't use a mop if I wanted to dig up a pile of dirt in my backyard.  The nice thing is, we aren't playing against that level of competition so we have some room to make even suboptimal saves work.

Wow this is incredibly helpful. My current “landmarks” are tied to my foot position on the crease, relative to the “corner” marks on the crease, but your map makes a lot more sense. For example, when the puck is carried over the blue line close to the boards, it’s easier to center myself between the inside hash marks and the dot then do what I currently do, which is “skate blade on corner mark”. I will give this a try.

On the RVH subject, first of all yes “RVH” makes little sense - I’ve heard it called “post lean” which seems to fit better :) In any event, you’re right on all fronts. My main concern with relying on the RVH has less to do with the 1-in-100 risk of the top corner shot (at my level) and more with the crappy pegs and being unable to get a good effective push off the post without lifting my post leg.

• 3 weeks later...

My latest game. I got quite the workout - shots were 14-43 and we won 5-2, so pretty happy with my performance. 

Would really appreciate any feedback you have. In case anyone is interested, my gear in this video is:

Mask: Sportmask Mage with Kenesky chin sling and dangler

Neck guard: Maltese GPS

C/A: Vaughn V6 2200

Pants: Bauer Supreme 1S

Gloves/Pads: Warrior Ritual G4 Pro

Skates: VH Two-Piece

Stick: Bauer Supreme 2S Pro with Buttendz Flux

• 1 year later...

Its been waaay too long since I’ve posted - everyone’s feedback has been extremely helpful.

Here’s my latest. We had an “Outdoor Classic” game with a local country club that has an outdoor rink. It was more of a pickup session with a ref, but it was a blast. Played against some significantly better players and our lines were scrambled so our regular D was playing offense for the most part. I would really appreciate any and all feedback!

Equipment for this game:

Mask: Bauer VTX Skate Rat Edition

C/A: Vaughn VE8 Pro Carbon

Pants: Bauer Vapor 2X Pro

Skates: CCM JetSpeed FT2 Custom w/Tydan Steel

Leg Pads: Brian’s Optik 2

Blocker: Brian’s Optik 2

Glove: Brian’s GNetik IV

Stick: CCM Extreme Flex 4

Archived