DIY Mask Painting

IPv6Freely

Thanks, it's actually based on Ed Belfour's helmet, if you remember him.  But I'm glad it resonates with you too.

5 hours ago, JediGoalie30 said:

Coming from a two-time Iraq vet with the 101st Airborne Division, that is a BEAUTIFUL mask! 

• 2 months later...

Does anyone try to use paints for miniature action figures to paint mask? I got a ton of that laying around and I was wondering if I can use them on the mask.

Another thing - what are you using to get rid of original paint? I read somewhere that break fluid (like DOT4) is great to do that as it would not break the carbon/glass fibre  underneath.

You don't have to remove the old paint, you just need to sand it to remove the shine. 800 grit sandpaper works well and doesn't leave deep scratches.  If the old paint was peeling and flaking, then you need to remove it.  Scraping and sanding should go quick enough on paint that was already falling off.  

Are they water based paints?  Does it really matter- are there really any paints made today that will dissolve a mask?  Model paint is designed to be used on cheap plastic, if it destroyed plastic then it wouldn't serve its purpose.  If you're ok with putting break fluid on your helmet I wouldn't worry too much about the paint.

To me the real issue is how are you going to paint the mask with those paints?  If you cover the whole mask, those tiny bottles won't last long.  Are they suggested to be used with an airbrush?

Thanks @tony20

They are acrylic paints. They can be used both with traditional brush and with airbrush (just need to make sure they are thin enough for airbrush). I'm using both technics for miniature painting.  Also can be use for both plastic and metal figurers.

My mask  is pretty beat up - lot of chips and scraps - so I need to remove the base paint entirely. I read somewhere that break fluid is great way to remove paint without any damage to what is under in contrast to sanding. It seemed weird to me thats why I wanted to check it with you.

Sanding and primer has always been enough for me, but it's up to you to judge if the helmet is as smooth as you'd like it to be.

Should be no worries with the acrylic paints.  

You appear to be correct about brake fluid, it appears to be used often in the modeling world as a paint stripper.  Just make sure it's brake fluid and NOT brake cleaner.  Brake cleaner appears to be bad.

Archived