Removing Post Wedge on Warrior Pads

Punisher Goalie

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone removed the "post-wedge" on a set of Warrior Ritual pads (G2, G3, or R/GT)?

I am seriously considering attempting it on my R/GTs. I know this is weird, but I really dislike the feel of it sort of flopping around and making the pad feel like a giant box on my legs. It also interferes with my pants in the RVH quite a bit (although this is partly because I wear pants that are 2 sizes too big now).

I can take some pics to show what I mean, but on the R/GTs at least the wedge (which is sort of rounded) consists of a Jenpro "pocket" sewn to the outside edge of the pad. I can pull the lacing and remove the padding, then either simply cut off the pocket, or perhaps sew some binding material over it to make a more finished edge.

Anyone tried anything like this and/or have suggestions?

I just got my RGT's and have been looking them over for the same thing. Not that it would be a huge weight saving but I'm a hardcore minimalist when it comes to my gear. 

I did have a shop here remove the post wedge on a previous set of Smith 6000's.  Worked well and looked really clean. 

A684D52E-F2D8-4C07-B51A-CCFCE2E1183B-633-00000052D792B0CF.jpeg

I have a set of G1 pro pads. I never noticed good or bad with the post wedge. I never really thought too much of it, and I don't know that it has ever saved a goal in my case. I guess what I am saying that it probably doesn't make much of a difference and in your case, it sounds like a hindrance. I'd just lop that thing off and have a cobbler clean it up.

3 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone removed the "post-wedge" on a set of Warrior Ritual pads (G2, G3, or R/GT)?

I am seriously considering attempting it on my R/GTs. I know this is weird, but I really dislike the feel of it sort of flopping around and making the pad feel like a giant box on my legs. It also interferes with my pants in the RVH quite a bit (although this is partly because I wear pants that are 2 sizes too big now).

I can take some pics to show what I mean, but on the R/GTs at least the wedge (which is sort of rounded) consists of a Jenpro "pocket" sewn to the outside edge of the pad. I can pull the lacing and remove the padding, then either simply cut off the pocket, or perhaps sew some binding material over it to make a more finished edge.

Anyone tried anything like this and/or have suggestions?

... I say do it in the name of content! 

In the case of the G1 pads, the post wedge is integral to buckling the pad. One could remove the foam and pillow, but that's about it. Since there isn't a binding, it would not be easy to install a buckle for a strap. The best one could do on a G1 would be to remove the foam so that the post wedge would wrap better. You could also remove the pillow. cwarnar is probably shaking his head at what has not been done to this pad. However- there is one place where this pad COULD benefit from surgery, and that is the wrap. Inherently, the wrap is good, but trying to get an elastic professor strap to work is a nightmare. This may call for more content.

IMG_0748.JPG

Hey Bunny:

I’ve gone over this before, but, further to your customizations (and woes related to them):

I’d love to see a pad sold as a basic “chassis” – no straps, no wraps. In the place of the calf wrap, post wedge (if applicable) and knee blocks, thin strips of some durable material lined with Velcro. All “extraneous” pieces could be purchased separately to allow for a poor man’s custom pad.

Then you could swap out any of those items just to test different materials, geometry etc. So you have a knee block and inner wedge lined with “Speed Skin” today, then two months from now when the latest even more slippery stuff comes out, you buy another set of blocks and inner wedges with that material, or remove yours and get them re-skinned. So when you decide you really don’t like that post wedge, you can remove it without having to butcher a set of pads. As well as materials, different colours and patterns would be an option.

Straps would be some sort of quick change system allowing full removal or swapping without cutting the out: don’t want the top two straps – take them out . Want to drop the elastic calf wrap and put some old-school leather straps in? Quick and easy. (I know it’s not likely, but each to their own). At this point you can’t even put in the “Pro Lace” toe ties without a second bridge – which is just dumb.

I recall a fellow on the old GCN did the first part on a pair of Passau Axioms he ordered: had just two material strips sewn in on either side ot the leg channel with holes (with ferrules installed for durability) and then laced in the calf wrap he wanted. IIRC he didn’t like his first choice of wrap and went to a second choice – quickly and easily.

I know this goes against a number of people who want to purchase the latest and greatest, but as one who has bills to pay (a lot of them) I need to get the most out of my gear. The spectre of buying a new set of pads, at probably close to $2K, which I probably wouldn’t get to try on or at the least, try on the ice before I purchase and then finding out there’s a specific feature I don’t like that is essentially a deal breaker is too much to leave to chance. And yes, I also realize the this flies in the face of the philosophy of gear manufacturers/sellers....

This ends our not-so-regularly scheduled digression....

Yea, you even mentioned it in the end there, but there's no way manufacturers are going to fly with that idea. :idk:

It's just not a real feasible business model if your clientele can just prolong the life of a pad by piddly purchases. The amount of overhead alone to process tons of orders under 100$ (say this thing took off and there are lots of orders) is just a good way to bleed money. 

Plus, bottom line looks A LOT better when you can mass produce a style of pad and sell it for big bucks.

Though, now a days since everything is velcro, it's the best time for something like this to take place.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, you even mentioned it in the end there, but there's no way manufacturers are going to fly with that idea. :idk:

It's just not a real feasible business model if your clientele can just prolong the life of a pad by piddly purchases. The amount of overhead alone to process tons of orders under 100$ (say this thing took off and there are lots of orders) is just a good way to bleed money. 

Plus, bottom line looks A LOT better when you can mass produce a style of pad and sell it for big bucks.

Though, now a days since everything is velcro, it's the best time for something like this to take place.

Generally you are correct, but there are a few good guys out there. The newer X-Smart straps and smart toe straps are retrofitable to the OG smart straps or pads with toe ties. Factory Mad uses velcro wherever possible to allow for easy replacement and customization 

On 9/15/2017 at 10:25 AM, Ghostender said:

Hey Bunny:

I’ve gone over this before, but, further to your customizations (and woes related to them):

I’d love to see a pad sold as a basic “chassis” – no straps, no wraps. In the place of the calf wrap, post wedge (if applicable) and knee blocks, thin strips of some durable material lined with Velcro. All “extraneous” pieces could be purchased separately to allow for a poor man’s custom pad.

Then you could swap out any of those items just to test different materials, geometry etc. So you have a knee block and inner wedge lined with “Speed Skin” today, then two months from now when the latest even more slippery stuff comes out, you buy another set of blocks and inner wedges with that material, or remove yours and get them re-skinned. So when you decide you really don’t like that post wedge, you can remove it without having to butcher a set of pads. As well as materials, different colours and patterns would be an option.

Straps would be some sort of quick change system allowing full removal or swapping without cutting the out: don’t want the top two straps – take them out . Want to drop the elastic calf wrap and put some old-school leather straps in? Quick and easy. (I know it’s not likely, but each to their own). At this point you can’t even put in the “Pro Lace” toe ties without a second bridge – which is just dumb.

I recall a fellow on the old GCN did the first part on a pair of Passau Axioms he ordered: had just two material strips sewn in on either side ot the leg channel with holes (with ferrules installed for durability) and then laced in the calf wrap he wanted. IIRC he didn’t like his first choice of wrap and went to a second choice – quickly and easily.

I know this goes against a number of people who want to purchase the latest and greatest, but as one who has bills to pay (a lot of them) I need to get the most out of my gear. The spectre of buying a new set of pads, at probably close to $2K, which I probably wouldn’t get to try on or at the least, try on the ice before I purchase and then finding out there’s a specific feature I don’t like that is essentially a deal breaker is too much to leave to chance. And yes, I also realize the this flies in the face of the philosophy of gear manufacturers/sellers....

This ends our not-so-regularly scheduled digression....

Factory Mad were designed with mods in mind. Dennis started with that idea when working with Tim Thomas as he had weekly changes to his gear sometimes.

My latest mod will not require much surgery, as I have figured out what to do on that wrap. Stay tuned...

Edit: I have since sold my pads, needing to get the funds for my Sparx sharpener.

Sorry- no mods for my pad :(

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I agree with everything you said - consider the "I can dream" state I'm in.

But it's also the reason places like Passau, Factory MAD, PAW etc will register high on my list of people to talk/deal with if/when a new set is in my sights (right now I am going out on recycling days and picking off as many returnables as I can to fill my piggy bank).

Ok, I went for it :)

Decided to just DIY this. Here is a picture showing the connective materials holding the post wedge in place:

F4C6F957-FBFD-4F57-B46E-703A991735D1.thumb.jpeg.810ba43afd8ef59e902d7f0ffad42ba1.jpeg

I had to first unlace the calf wing so I could remove those elastic straps, then relace the wing in place. Then it was just a matter of removing the lace for the post wedge “pocket” and cutting the wedge off. Came off very cleanly with a new Xacto knife blade. 

Heres the end result:

6FC4E6F0-92A1-4B2F-A5DC-D350C27896FB.thumb.jpeg.67fe9c1c791d02ae18c534fcef9cb852.jpeg

Love the look. Hopefully it will perform well. Only thing I don’t like is that exposed a row of lace holes but it’s barely noticeable:

06249709-2B56-496A-B43A-D64F6B977A20.thumb.jpeg.0780d0bd7d75e42510d4cf20ce15fd9a.jpeg

If anyone is wondering, the whole post wedge weighs just 50 grams, so not a huge weight reduction.

Let me know what you guys think!

The original Ritual pads had the post wedge as part of the strapping system. You could remove the rigid foam to improve the wrap, but without radically modifying strapping, it would have taken a lot of extra work to make it work. I am glad that you could remove the post wedge without too much extra work. 

Looks pretty good. 

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

The original Ritual pads had the post wedge as part of the strapping system. You could remove the rigid foam to improve the wrap, but without radically modifying strapping, it would have taken a lot of extra work to make it work. I am glad that you could remove the post wedge without too much extra work. 

Looks pretty good. 

Thanks! Yeah I considered doing that but it would have required adding a new strap to the post wedge material and an anchor point on the opposite calf wrap. It would have worked for sure but it would also have been another strap to deal with while dressing/undressing. 

Heres one more photo showing the difference:

2442A961-D7F4-40C1-BCF7-43ECABF1A2C8.thumb.jpeg.29c63fcce5d72db944671a11c7661cba.jpeg

Archived