Stretching Goalie Skates

motowngoalie

Hey gang, does anyone have experience stretching skates? My big toes are taking a beating and it's really affecting my play. Total/Pure Hockey told me they couldn't do it because of the cowling (I'm wearing Graf), and I'm waiting for a response from another local shop. I've baked them and it helped a little bit, but not enough. I'm willing to attempt a DIY as well. 

4 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

Hey gang, does anyone have experience stretching skates? My big toes are taking a beating and it's really affecting my play. Total/Pure Hockey told me they couldn't do it because of the cowling (I'm wearing Graf), and I'm waiting for a response from another local shop. I've baked them and it helped a little bit, but not enough. I'm willing to attempt a DIY as well. 

Motown my son gets his skates punched in the back heel for his Bauer bump.  I also inquired about the width and it can be stretched but as far as the front end I think what will be difficult!

Good luck!

Front end will be tough.

I managed to get a deal on some Bauer NXG's in the largest intermediate size available. (i've got small feet). Saved almost 50% due to them not being a senior size.

Unfortunately, the big toe on my right foot has been broken numerous times. Broken toes never really "set". So the knuckle on the sucker protrudes quite a bit. This led to quite a bit of discomfort and pain during playing. Felt only tight in store.

I tried to get the shop to punch out the front end a bit to make these work, but because of the location of the issue, only minor adjustments were feasible.

Long story short, you may be facing a tough battle to widen out the toe area of a skate.

On 9/15/2017 at 2:06 PM, Big2 said:

Motown my son gets his skates punched in the back heel for his Bauer bump.  I also inquired about the width and it can be stretched but as far as the front end I think what will be difficult!

Good luck!

Does this work? I have them bad, but have always been reluctant to let someone do surgery on my skates 

On 2017-09-18 at 3:47 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Does this work? I have them bad, but have always been reluctant to let someone do surgery on my skates 

TGN if your asking about getting your skates punched out - yes it helps out a lot! I would have to qualify that by saying it might depend on where someone has this type of issue. In my sons case back of the foot to the exterior side.  Also about widening his skates he is not going to proceed he is starting to feel comfortable in them!

So I got my skates back, and wow, it really works. My toes went from being jammed against the cap to having a nice amount of wiggle room (but not too much). I'd say this is a good solution for anyone in-between sizes or parents trying to get another season out of a pair of skates for a growing child. LMK if anyone wants to see photos, as you can definitely tell where the toe cap has moved out (I also have a pair of un-stretched Grafs for a good comparison..?) Also for reference, the shop used one of these for the job: http://www.shoesystemsplus.com/Supercam-Ultra-80L-Pro-Double-Hockey-Skate-Stretcher-with-last-and-bunion-set_p_85.html

24 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

So I got my skates back, and wow, it really works. My toes went from being jammed against the cap to having a nice amount of wiggle room (but not too much). I'd say this is a good solution for anyone in-between sizes or parents trying to get another season out of a pair of skates for a growing child. LMK if anyone wants to see photos, as you can definitely tell where the toe cap has moved out (I also have a pair of un-stretched Grafs for a good comparison..?) Also for reference, the shop used one of these for the job: http://www.shoesystemsplus.com/Supercam-Ultra-80L-Pro-Double-Hockey-Skate-Stretcher-with-last-and-bunion-set_p_85.html

Post up the pictures, bruh.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-09-18 at 3:47 PM, TheGoalNet said:

It works really well, at my local shop I had them do it because I had a spot on the inside of my left foot that was rubbing and caused excruciating pain, I literally got up and hobbled off the pickup....they get you to put a piece of tape where you feel the pressure and then they use a heat gun to heat it up and then they press it out...the guy told me you can always go out but you can’t go back in....it worked perfectly for me

Archived