Fullright's 2016-2017

Fullright

Following the examples of Hills and Joel the Goalie, here's my contribution to the site. I posted all my stuff the past few years at thegoaliecrease.net. A few notes of introduction. First, I am on old guy; just turned 54. Second, I am not very good anymore. From 1971 to 1994, I was not bad having played junior B and D1 in college (what passed for those levels in the early and mid 80s). I started up again in 2013 after being inspired by guys like Hills and played a few games here and there in Mens B league since then. I am not interested in playing at 11 pm on a weeknight anymore so 99% of my ice is on Friday night at a loosely organized "drop in" and during the summer months on Sunday mornings with a few ex pros. The video here is from this past Friday. The skate was down several fast guys so in general, the scrimmage was off its usual pace.

Hope you enjoy, and comments or criticism is welcome.

https://youtu.be/QH2DvoyxUKo

Edit: I botched the link somehow. How does one link the video directly as Joel and Hills did

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you brought the videos over here!

I copy the URL from the URL bar on the browser and just paste it into the message section, then click enter and it automatically embeds into the post.

Nice toe save @ 0:45. I don't know if you got it but it stayed out @ 1:05 and that was against the good guy. SOOO close @ 2:10. Nice sequence of saves @ 2:50.

Did you end up ordering the Passau blocker?

Thanks Hills. The skate in general wasn't as good and fast as usual. I'll see what I can do about editing the post tonight when I get home from work.

New blocker ordered up. Finished the specs with GoalieTImmy over the weekend, and Passau got my money yesterday. Projected delivery is 3 to 4 weeks. Very looking forward to it; my hand has been taking a beating lately so I wasn't too bummed about an absence of rockets on Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Imperative. I botched the post somehow. Meant to add the following:

"Thanks to the Boss(es) here for making this fora. Seems most the video guys from Tomy's site made it over. Joey needs to get here.

You can tell I hadn't played in a few weeks. I lost my net some and let in some real junk goals. On the plus side, my conditioning didn't get out of hand. I think the video, 90 mins of a 120 min skate shows I was busy. The skate was back to its typical pace, and Robert, who must have ate his Wheaties Friday morning, was doing his blasting thing. Great fun but somehow I detached the left sleeve from the rest of the chest/arms. Got time to get it fixed; going to miss the next 2 skates with Spring break with wifey and daughter.

Thanks for checking it out. Comments/criticism welcome."

Not sure what I did wrong but no biggie.

Watched the first half and overall you did well for the amount of pressure and lack of D you had.    Here is what stood out to me:

• @ 32 seconds, you were too deep in net and he roofed it on you.
  • @ 1:10 - Awesome saves!
  • @ 2:09 - Hate goals like that.   If you don't move your arm, it doesn't sneak in.
  • @ 2:25 - great glove!
  • @3:06 - looks like you got out of position and started chasing the play.  Happens to all of us.   I find that when I stay more centered in the net during those kinds of scrambles and try not to over-commit one way or another, I will be in a better position to get the back-door pass or rebound, etc.   It all depends on the level of shooters and competence of your D-men, as to which way is better over the long haul.
  • @ 3:26 - Another great glove!

BTW, with regards to your C/A arm becoming detached, I detached mine on purpose and re-connected them with bungees.   It allows the unit to move with me as I move my arms.   Huge improvement.        The pic below shows this on my older C/A.  On my new one, I had to add a few holes/grommets, as it didn't come with any to start with.  You may want to give that a shot.   I also considered using a section of HD elastic with some velcro tabs, which would make it adjustable and flexible at the same time.   May do my next one that way.  Good luck! 

Koho C-A Arm Bungee Mod.JPG

On 3/5/2017 at 10:11 PM, Fullright said:

Thanks Imperative. I botched the post somehow. Meant to add the following:

"Thanks to the Boss(es) here for making this fora. Seems most the video guys from Tomy's site made it over. Joey needs to get here.

You can tell I hadn't played in a few weeks. I lost my net some and let in some real junk goals. On the plus side, my conditioning didn't get out of hand. I think the video, 90 mins of a 120 min skate shows I was busy. The skate was back to its typical pace, and Robert, who must have ate his Wheaties Friday morning, was doing his blasting thing. Great fun but somehow I detached the left sleeve from the rest of the chest/arms. Got time to get it fixed; going to miss the next 2 skates with Spring break with wifey and daughter.

Thanks for checking it out. Comments/criticism welcome."

Not sure what I did wrong but no biggie.

Joey seemed pretty adamant on not heading over here unfortunately.

@5:24, I think you could solve the energy crisis with that windmill ;) Nice catch!

Every time I see your D acting as turnstiles or just rotating in place I wish I could play D for you and help you out!

I hear ya.   I do 2 pick-up (aka "shinny") sessions every Sunday night, for a total of 2.5 hrs.   Last night I must have faced a dozen break-aways or more.    The key for me is to not even think about how many goals I give up, and instead focus on the number of good saves I make and the exercise I am getting.    I also try to pick out one thing per night that I will work on.  Like butter-fly pushes while down instead of desperation dives, or taking a mental note of which hand a back-side pass option shoots from, etc.   Most "beer-leaguers" like me never get any real practice time, so pick-up sessions are the closest thing we will get.      

• 2 weeks later...

In this film it is pretty obvious I hadnt skated in 3 weeks. Dumb mistakes such as not having my feet set, my stick not covering the 5 hole when going down, losing my angle, pretty much the stuff associated with, you know, playing net. While we are it, why not add in going behind the net on a dump in and having the puck hit the kick plate and bouncing in front together with 2 blasts off the chin. All in all, a great time...not. On the plus side, the Sunday morning skate started up yesterday in which I had a much better result. Try and do better next Friday.

Thanks for checking it out. Comments welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Very late with this one; work has been particularly consuming. This skate was the first with the new blocker; felt pretty good as the skate went on. No other goalie showed up so I switched sides about every 45 mins or so. I thought I settled down after a not so good start and played ok. A few deflections got through me 5 hole, I badly misplayed a screen, and got overpowered with a heavy wristshot between my hip and blocker. Bad goals. Skated again on the following Sunday, April 2. Work interferes this weekend and Easter is the following weekend. Not sure about ice availability yet. Although I am hungry to play, the 4 skates the past 2 weekends have inflicted some achiness on my hips, knees, shoulders, and elbows. Never felt better.

Tried different settings on the camera and the Imperative sideview.

Thanks for checking it out. Criticism and comments welcome.

Great game!

1:12, 4:09 & 5:31 – patented glove saves!

4:25 – kick save (or something I like to call the case for having a skate cowling)

With my aging eyes I was squinting to see you in the side view - still like the behind the net angle best

BTW if you have to cross the road late at night, take the blocker with you :thumbup:

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:33 PM, Ghostender said:

Great game!

1:12, 4:09 & 5:31 – patented glove saves!

4:25 – kick save (or something I like to call the case for having a skate cowling)

With my aging eyes I was squinting to see you in the side view - still like the behind the net angle best

BTW if you have to cross the road late at night, take the blocker with you :thumbup:

Thanks Ghost. Mine too...the only thing conspicuous was the blocker. Think I'll just stick with the behind the net view. Might reflect my age but I would feel defenseless with cowling-less skates. May as well dig out the old Super Tacks with the white soles and hard leather cowlings. On the shot in question, I actually got the inside of my pad on it.

Ahhh - the old Super Tacks with the leather cowlings - when I was a kid only the best goalies had those. I had crappy cheap Bauers with the plastic cowling. I had to get a new pair after 2 seasons as the shi##y cheap blades were actually bending outward from too many skate saves ( and believe me, I wasn't making that many saves back in the day>:().

Point of interest: the CCMs of that day had little gussets welded in between the blade and sole plate to prevent against the bending issue

The blocker looks fantastic. The screen goal @3:40 was ridiculous and I still didn't see it go through people.
The challenge @3:55 would have me very confused as a shooter!
HUGE save @4:23
Just a little off angle for the goal @5:00, but I am sure you know that.
The glove save @5:03 is usually what happens when pucks hit my glove not yours :P
Headhunter @5:30... nice catch.

I thought you did pretty good. It is always hard playing net when there is not opposing goalie. The side you are playing against always goes harder than the side you are on since they have no real reason to play defense and get the puck back. Oh yay they get to shoot at an empty net now...

Thanks Hills. The challenge move was more self preservation than anything else. Both of those guys have deadly wrist shots and love to go bar down which is about throat down on me so if I sense that they have their heads down, I try to get on top of their shots. it's not so much the speed as it is the heaviness of the shot. So unless I get all of it, the puck will blow between, for example, and arm and hip.

I think I played a little better here. But it is also one of the videos referenced by Willy. Lopsided to a crazy degree but I had a lot of fun. I got beat low glove again simply because I blew the angle and 5 hole shot together with one low short side I am still trying to figure got in. Unfortunately, a guy in white got tangled up and fell across my right knee. I might have to get it checked. By Sunday, though, it feels better having passed on the skate this morning.

Thanks for checking it out. Commentary welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed last week's skates so I was not rolling very well here from this past Friday. Made the worst mistake ever and forgot to pack my glove. Bottom line is I was horribly late and had no "warm-up". Some got through and under me but it was good to skate.

Comments welcome. Thanks for checking it out.

Firstly, sorry for taking so long to respond to these and to check them out, life has gotten in the way a bit recently.

On 4/16/2017 at 10:43 PM, Fullright said:

Thanks Hills. The challenge move was more self preservation than anything else. Both of those guys have deadly wrist shots and love to go bar down which is about throat down on me so if I sense that they have their heads down, I try to get on top of their shots. it's not so much the speed as it is the heaviness of the shot. So unless I get all of it, the puck will blow between, for example, and arm and hip.

I think I played a little better here. But it is also one of the videos referenced by Willy. Lopsided to a crazy degree but I had a lot of fun. I got beat low glove again simply because I blew the angle and 5 hole shot together with one low short side I am still trying to figure got in. Unfortunately, a guy in white got tangled up and fell across my right knee. I might have to get it checked. By Sunday, though, it feels better having passed on the skate this morning.

Thanks for checking it out. Commentary welcome.

I thought you were REALLY good this night. A lot of the goals were on secondary chances after you already made a nice save. Do the good players only have white jerseys?

On 4/30/2017 at 9:36 PM, Fullright said:

I missed last week's skates so I was not rolling very well here from this past Friday. Made the worst mistake ever and forgot to pack my glove. Bottom line is I was horribly late and had no "warm-up". Some got through and under me but it was good to skate.

Comments welcome. Thanks for checking it out.

While you weren't as good as the previous video I don't think you were bad just not up to the awesome levels you usually are. You still did good.

At least you didn't forget your skates to the 1st game of a tournament... I did that a few months ago and had to wear ones that bent in half, which is a big change from my relatively stiff skates.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Hills.

I think I did better in this one from this past Friday, May 5th. I got tired near the end, however, and started standing upright leading to some horsefeather goals. Got my second wind some but was pretty gassed. I was also sloppy with leg recoveries and need to do a better job on second shots. The last few skates have been pretty good in general with some players joining in after their seasons have ended.

Thanks for checking it out. Comments welcome.

Love your eclectic stye - keeps them on their toes:

1:00 – You're giving #3 a rough ride – did he deserve it?

2:56 – Looks like that one hurt (?)

3:17 – Patented glove!

3:35 – I say none of this halfway stuff – pull the full Hasek

4:10 - Great reaction save on the rebound

As usual, a pleasure to watch!

Archived