Fullright's 2016-2017

Fullright

Thanks Ghost/IB. No, #3 is a very good friend and we were just playing around. When he fell forward while I tried to cover the puck, he inadvertently bladed me in the cup so I barked at him and gave his a little bit of a shove after I missed trying to push the back of his helmet forward. He's a great young player and this fall takes the next step in that he's playing Tier 2 Junior. 2:56 caught me under the mask on the jaw. I don't know how. The mask is adjusted properly and the chin slingie thingie cups my chin perfectly. 85% of the shot caught bone. His shot came up at a sharp angle while I was down kinda like an uppercut. But hey, that mask is certified and my real one that wraps under my chin and jaw isn't so the certifying authorities know what's best for me...don't they? Probably a little harsh on my part and shouldn't be taken as a critique of the mask/cage contraption but as the video shows, I got another one on the same side of the jaw later on in the skate. I don't mind catching one in the melon - part of the job - but my face was pretty sore afterward.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about the shot to the chin. Even though they are certified, I would never trust a new mask alone to protect my neck or chin area. As per your experience, a rising shot can catch you in the worst place.

As a teen I took a full slapshot with one of those orange street hockey balls in the throat: couldn’t breathe for a couple of minutes and for a week had no voice and had to feed via a straw (I think a lot of people were glad about the no voice part). I don't even want to imagine what a puck would do. Even though I don’t particularly like them, I use a dangler and it’s saved my bacon more times than I can count.

I was at a minor hockey tryout one year where one of the forwards said to me in frustration “if we can’t score on you*, you’re just a target and we’re gonna shoot for your head.” That’s probably what’s happening to you.

*I think he was using the “Royal" 'you' as he certainly couldn’t have been talking about me

Thanks Ghost.

I dont mind the beat down skates. Kinda fun in a weird way. To that end, the one here from May 12th (no ice last last night) is along that line. I was very busy but at least I didnt have to eat any in the face this time. The best D in dark was a 20 yr old woman so it was going to be a busy night. I didnt help myself very much, however. I had an awful first minute or so in the video. I settled down and I thought I had a decent outing. I usually trim the video very tightly to the SOG but, in this one, I let two parts run - 2:58 to 3:20 and 4:01 to 4:21. They exemplify the kind of night I experienced. To their credit, white was working plays rather than just blasting away. In a way, I wish they had just shot; such would have been easier on my old carcuss.

Thanks for checking it out. Comments & criticism welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Late in getting this one edited but with a couple of good reasons. Work was nuts this week (suppose that's why it is called work) and I finally got the ice bags off my right knee and my right shoulder on Wednesday. I didnt play well at all. We had another night of crowded crease which takes the fun out of it. We had 4 goalies so I played for just an hour. Of course, I strained the hell out of my shoulder and knee on the same play. To make it more painful, they scored on the play.

I cant refund your time wasted watching the film but thanks for doing so. Commentary welcome but I can sum it up: I sucked. On to the next one.

Well, I saw:

• Big skate save at 0:32*,
  • Incredible glove save at 0:52
  • Even more incredible glove save at 1:24

And it carried on from there. 4 goalies?  Man, your rinks need to get some sort of system in place.. Do they charge goalies for playing in that slot? If so I guess they are just trying to pad the numbers. Here goalies play drop-in for free, and are limited to two per drop-in session as they don't make money by having more goalies.

Every time I watch the videos you guys post, it convinces me more and more I shouldn't probably post anything... I don't need any more humiliation on my life...

* I am guessing a cowlingless skate is not on your Xmas wish list

• 2 weeks later...

So this offering is late. Summer is just crazy busy with work and graduations etc. In this film, I think I did better than I have recently. A switch was playing on white. Black was essentially a group that is in a league. One of these days that team will line up against the fellas on white who usually compose the group that pounds me. Should be a good game if it ever happens. A few notes. #12 on black is the real deal. Great hands, can stick handle in a phone booth, and lacks several teeth. On top of that, he's a pleasant fellow. I let some of the film run because it shows how they made plays and hustled. Had a blast.

Comments welcome, positive or negative. Thanks for checking it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I am super behind... nice start with the glove save off the bat! The blocker looks awesome and I love your setup. You remind me of the photo below and I love it. You were on fire that session, a tonne of great saves and ridiculously flashing the the glove. 12 was really good like you said, but seemed like a decent guy which makes it a bit better when they score haha.

163_f_zoom.jpg

Lol, sorry Willy. I missed the skate last Friday and I didn't record the one from 2 Fridays ago (I actually played better than I did in the last one from June). The skates tend to be hit or miss during the summer months. And the Sunday morning beat downs are just drills. Funny you wrote this though. I had been thinking about pausing the filming for the next little while because the Friday skates can be either good or downright junk depending on whom shows up. I'll bring the camera next time. Might not skate this week; might visit the daughter at her school and make sure she's not solely majoring in beer this summer.

Hills, I don't even know how to respond to that except to say thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, Willy. This is from July 21. The files got somehow corrupted so this film is only half of the skate. I was the only goalie so I switched ends every 3 goals or so. I am in a rough patch right now and it started here. I dont think it is my head. I am excited to skate and I feel physically sufficient to play. Whatever the origin, I am giving up horrible rebounds, losing my net, and off balance. In the corrupted half of the film, I got beat 5 hole really bad on two drives that werent all that hard. So I think I dealing with not only the tech issues listed here but maybe some puck shyness also. Just have to work through it.

Thanks for checking it out.

P.S. Big, thank you sir. I missed your remark earlier.

This one shows the continuation of my being off. I am not playing well. A new problem here was not getting sealed to ice and getting beat on shots under me. Still having problems with really dumb rebounds and just not being in sync with the play. On the favorable side, I wasnt as puck shy in this one as I was in the last one. I think I got that out of my system  with last Sunday's  beat down skate. Hope to do better tomorrow night at the August 4th skate.

Thanks for checking it out. Commentary welcome.

Lol @ willy. Thanks.

The film below shows some regaining of things or limiting mistakes. Better on rebounds, didnt lose my net as much, and the puck shyness is gone. (Thank heavens for that - nothing worse and more about that in a moment). I was still off on some of the breakaways and probably was too aggressive on some back door plays where I focused too much on the shooter and mistakenly relied on the D to cover the second man (silly me). So even though I am still struggling, I think I am coming out it. The film might be a little confusing. The other goalie showed up late so for the first 45 mins or so I switched ends.

On the puck shyness, the Sunday (August 6) after the skate, Big Boy, who Hills and Ghost have seen in other films, dropped me about 5 mins in with a rocket to the jaw. I wear my "old" full face mask during that skate because the rink figures we are grown ups who can handle ourselves unlike the Friday building which wont let me wear it. Anyway, I got right back up and had no issues the rest of that skate. So, my mask got a really cool scuff and I got a bit of a bruise to my left jaw but no teeth loosened, no cuts, no ringing and I am otherwise just fine. I might take a break on the films until next month and just start the 17-18 thread there.

Thanks for checking it out. Comments welcome. I missed my draft window about 36 years ago so critiques wont hurt my feelings and I might learn something.

Sorry Joe – I am really remiss in watching stuff lately. My observations/comments

GoPro 91

I know it’s drop-in, but I believe you have some sort of core group that attend usually (is that correct?) I ask because the play seemed different – lots of odd man rushes with D that didn’t seem to know how to handle it. Also – a number of looping shots which leads to not only weird bounces but also the inevitable plethora of stick-swings and resulting deflections.

GoPro 92

Same stuff: the D wasn’t covering their checks, just skating (really, coasting) with them.

At 1:00 you are defending a 3:1 where the carrier elects to shoot – you are covering him well and make the save. You played it properly, but, if he goes to his open man to the right you’re screwed (see summary)

3:28 – did you catch that???? Even slo-moing it I couldn’t tell!

A couple of nice saves on backdoor conversions into one-timers

Love the behind-the-back stick save

GoPro 93

Still seeing a lot of odd man rushes and even 3:1s…

5:15 – that guy had waaaaay too much time to shoot

Summary:

I don’t think it’s your play: whenever I start questioning my game I use the litmus test of performance on breakaways and break-ins. In those cases it's just you and the shooter - no deflections screens, distractions etc. You did well and stopped a high percentage.

I think sometimes we as goalies tend to believe we have more control of the situation than we really do, and when the GA count goes up, we assume our game is off. Specific to drop-in hockey, the variability of skill level from player to player and game to game can promote a bad environment for the goalie. In that environment, it can be a crapshoot – the D turns his stick one way the puck goes wide, the other way it goes in. A winger cuts through the crease and the puck hits him: sometimes it goes wide, sometimes it goes in. Sometimes the D does all the right things allowing us to do our job, other times, not so much. When all these things work for us we’re having a “hot streak” – when they conspire against us we’re “off”.

When we believe we’re “off” we end up trying to do it all ourselves, leading to such things as the “off- balance” and “losing your net” (your observations, not mine).

Forget about the stuff out of your control and don’t start micro-managing your game – I really don’t think that’s the issue

@ HSD, yeah I think you might be right about that esp in GoPro91. I come out a lot anyway but more so than usual when I am worried about getting busted up. No good reason for the shyness but for me at least it happens once in a while. I've been managing a really sore right knee for the past few months and I think that accounts for coming out probably too much and being a little shy. The knee has gotten better the past few weeks so there's probably a correlation between the two problems.

@ Willy, I think it is easier to do it to the stick side but it isn't something I do on purpose. Usually I seem to get shots high to my glove. I know what you mean though...I seem to make a half butterfly (whatever they call it) low glove. 

@ Ghost, during the summer, the skate gets weird. Sometimes the usual group shows and other times, more benders come out. I don't expect much D help but there's no question I was/am fighting it some despite the odd man rushes off which there have been a lot. Did hockey theory change at some point while I was out? Isnt the D supposed to be in a position to block the pass on an odd man rush and the goalie is responsible for the shooter? Some guys have it in their heads to attack the shooter which is new to me. That aside, I don't worry too much about how many goals I give up or how many stops I make. Doing so isn't constructive for drop-in hockey and will only make you nuts. What I try to focus on is going about the job the right way: being on angle, controlling rebounds, etc. In other words, the simple fundamental stuff. Those are the things I am wrestling right now but I'll get through it. Like I said, I felt a little better about my play in GoPro 93 despite the goals against which was about 5 million or so.

To answer your question, caught it cleanly. :)

Thanks for the input fellas. Much appreciated.

Archived