Fullright's 2017-2018

Fullright

Hockey season is starting so here's the first. I hadnt skated in 3 wks and it showed. Some bad ones found their way under me. A few of the same guys deked me into the parking lot. Not all bad, though, for openers. The skate was a little off its pace but I was busy and got some work in. Got a few new sticks over the break. I used a CCM 1060 here. I like a light stick and this one certainly is. I dont know how passing will be with it; didnt get a chance. But I like the stick's feel and its curve.

Thanks for checking it out. Input welcome.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 weeks off is tough. For me 3 weeks feels worse than being off the ice for 3 months. I had my worst game of the season last year after three weeks off over Christmas. Nothing was wrong with your glove fullright!! That first deke goal I felt like you ran him out of room along the ice but maybe weren't quite square to take away the top part of the net. Other breakaway/deke goals I thought that you were a little out of sync with the shooter coming in. A couple of those goals I noticed you ended too deep and gave the shooter more time and space to make one last move to get the puck past you. I am not explaining that super well, but I think you know what I mean, haha. Other goals where you were getting beat on shots I think just some minor adjustments and you will make those saves. You will get back into top form with a few more consistent ice times. As always fullright I enjoyed watching!

Definitely can't comment constructively on the playing style as I've never done stand up except for the tail end of a 2 hour skate and i get too lazy to play how I normally do.

But one thing I can comment on, you should put a bit of focus on getting up with the correct leg (the one opposite from the puck position).

I know it's a technique that's hammered into the heads of butterfly centric play styles, but I feel like it will help your mobility quite a bit.

Entertaining to watch though.

Fair point, Coop. Cringed watching the video after editing so good eye on you. Happens to me after I've been off the ice for a few weeks. Coop, styles don't matter; keeping the puck out is the purpose. If you have something you want to say, good, bad or indifferent, feel free. Grateful for wasting 5 mins or so of your time and your input.

Thanks, Esto, very kind of you. I wouldn't take offense if it was a slam. I missed my draft window 30 some odd years ago (:)) so it don't matter any more. Don't buy Ghost's misdirection. I am going to be 55 in January. As for the moves - such as they are - I started organized hockey in 1971. Played for real until 1994. Started up again in April of 2012. I've been rostered on a few teams since 2013 but have played only two games since then (thank heavens). I mainly just play on Friday nights 11 months of the year which is a loosely organized drop in for one of the teams and Sunday mornings from mid April until late August for a few retired pros and a few prospects they are helping along. Guess they cant get any other goalies to skate at 7 am on a Sunday to be a human target.

Lots of skaters showed up and it showed in the pace. Two in particular got the better of me. I also got a little tired near the end (skate is about 2 hrs). Overall, I didnt stink the joint out after a rough start but I can do better. The big breakdown was not keeping my stick down. Thanks for checking it out. Commentary welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

The above is after a 2 week lull because of an out of state wedding and even though I excited to skate, the work week just sucked. So, I wasn't as ready as I try to be. Plus, no other goalies showed up. I switched ends every 30 mins or so. I also tried the Imperative camera angle and somewhat misplaced the camera near the ring. It looked better full screen if you are so inclined. Hard to get a rhythm under the circumstances lately. But still got to skate and did ok. Got asked to sub in a game tomorrow night but I cant make it happen with work related business. Sucks because they are a good team and good guys.

You guys were more than nice and encouraging with your comments. I don't think how (dinosaur) I try to play makes much difference to most good players. I do think they try to exploit some of my flaws inherent in my approach/style. I am more vulnerable to wrap arounds than most butterfly guys. Essentially, I am trying to get my leg against the post to which they rush whereas most guys slide across covering more area. I also think that they try to get me to open up more with drags across the slot. When I am getting beat 5 hole on those plays it is usually because I came across too aggressive and opened up. Most butterfly guys stay compact leaving less holes. I have tried to add more butterfly stuff but those two areas are where I think they try to do things a little differently. They also try to take advantage of the other obvious flaw: I don't move that well anymore on second shots; just age related. If anything of mine confuses or throws them off a bit, it is my being lefthanded. 

Thanks for being awfully nice, boys. Hope you like the film and comments welcome.

10 hours ago, Fullright said:

The above is after a 2 week lull because of an out of state wedding and even though I excited to skate, the work week just sucked. So, I wasn't as ready as I try to be. Plus, no other goalies showed up. I switched ends every 30 mins or so. I also tried the Imperative camera angle and somewhat misplaced the camera near the ring. It looked better full screen if you are so inclined. Hard to get a rhythm under the circumstances lately. But still got to skate and did ok. Got asked to sub in a game tomorrow night but I cant make it happen with work related business. Sucks because they are a good team and good guys.

You guys were more than nice and encouraging with your comments. I don't think how (dinosaur) I try to play makes much difference to most good players. I do think they try to exploit some of my flaws inherent in my approach/style. I am more vulnerable to wrap arounds than most butterfly guys. Essentially, I am trying to get my leg against the post to which they rush whereas most guys slide across covering more area. I also think that they try to get me to open up more with drags across the slot. When I am getting beat 5 hole on those plays it is usually because I came across too aggressive and opened up. Most butterfly guys stay compact leaving less holes. I have tried to add more butterfly stuff but those two areas are where I think they try to do things a little differently. They also try to take advantage of the other obvious flaw: I don't move that well anymore on second shots; just age related. If anything of mine confuses or throws them off a bit, it is my being lefthanded. 

Thanks for being awfully nice, boys. Hope you like the film and comments welcome.

First off... I'm hoping I still play at 55... let alone asking or feedback. The style you're comfortable with makes it somewhat difficult for me to give good actionable advice as I was taught butterfly from an early age but here goes...

• Quiet down some movement whenever possible. It seems like they're only finding holes consistently as you are making large movements. No big pushes when small shuffles will do. If you can use less hip swing in your backwards movement as well. It tends pulls your glove and blocker out of square to the play.
  • Be in a ready position as the puck is coming across the blue line. In some cases you're still moving out when the puck is at the top of the circle or lower, and then you not only have to stop moving forward, start skating back, and likely move laterally as well. That's a lot to do when the play is already at the circle.
  • Depth. This can be said for any of us, but like you have alluded to, your movements aren't the same as they were 20 years ago. At the 1:30ish mark (after the slow motion goal) you make a good quiet save on a cross ice pass. Your toes were on the crease, you held your position, and made save directing the rebound to the corner. Same happens at 2:40. Pass comes to the top of the circle, good movement out, depth is sufficient and you suck up the shot w/o a rebound at all.
  • As for wraparounds... just remember you don't have to get your whole body to the post to defeat most opportunities, just your boot. Shooters are usually stretched out on wraparounds and the puck will stay on the ice. If he roofs it, good for him. A solid push across letting your skate get the post and letting your body follow is adequate in most beer leagues.

Keep up the posts coming. 

That save at 3:39 – nice example of reading the play!

It seemed they got some  goals on plays because you were playing it properly but the puck got redirected or otherwise ended up where it normally wouldn’t be – what can you do?

I noticed something this session I haven’t seen before – perhaps because of the different camera angle (?) In some cases when you drop you are getting your derriere right down on your heels. This takes away height but more importantly it impedes your recovery time to your “ready” stance whether you choose to get up right away or even just stay down to block a shot. An extreme example is at ~ 3:19

Again, I don’t recall seeing this before so maybe it was a function of this skate?

Good advice BA41. At my size, if my positioning fails, I get caught making big movements. Like you say, key is to be better set and better positioned. Ghost, not typical, I hope. Shot, like you mentioned in general, was released awkwardly. I reacted awkwardly. Fundamental error. Thanks for the encouragement and advice, Imperative and HSD. 

Below is from this past Friday. The film is longer than usual because I was busier than usual. Basically, I skated against the team on which I am rostered. I got off to a terrible start. Warm up was particularly hard. It isnt on the film because I dont put the camera up so it doesnt get destroyed. Everyone wanted to take slap shots up tops from the rings to the hash marks. I took 3 shots and 2 left dents. The first several minutes of the skate, I got torn to pieces but I think things settled down after the start.

Thanks for watching. Comments welcome.

What was that, a breakaway practice ;) ?

Must say, I would like to see face of the shooter at 3:40, when he just goes trough all of the opposing players (they are only watching all the time) and than you.. robbed him with that windmill save! :D .

Great play – almost all the goals they got were after they essentially beat you into submission.

If I were to tally up all the goals against though, I would probably add 4 or 5 because you stopped a bunch with skate saves, and, as I am being told those never happen in this day and age, they were obviously put in there with special effects after the fact...

14 hours ago, Ghostender said:

Great play – almost all the goals they got were after they essentially beat you into submission.

If I were to tally up all the goals against though, I would probably add 4 or 5 because you stopped a bunch with skate saves, and, as I am being told those never happen in this day and age, they were obviously put in there with special effects after the fact...

They don’t happen in modern goaltending. Certainly not on purpose. But when you have somebody playing a style that hasn’t been used in decades it’s no surprise to see a save that also hasn’t been used in decades.

On 10/17/2017 at 1:38 AM, IPv6Freely said:

They don’t happen in modern goaltending. Certainly not on purpose. But when you have somebody playing a style that hasn’t been used in decades it’s no surprise to see a save that also hasn’t been used in decades.

I admire your creativity in composing that because it can be read multiple ways so I appreciate your use of ambiguity as a literary device. 

Another very busy skate. The other regular goalie couldn't make it and the other fellas who had been showing up didn't make it either. Another guy from an earlier game got with us about a 1/4 way through and filled in for a while. Big dude with cool gear; he played real well.  I let some of the film roll to show the length of some of these plays. Admittedly, this skate tested my patience and I didn't handle it as well as I would have liked. Sorry Willy, I didn't take my own advice to an extent and got a little surly and ornery with some of the D. Just gets a little irritating when a guy cant flip the puck 3 feet to get it out of our end but can hit the cross bar from 25 feet out at the other end. 15C's thread about warm up is very timely. Like last week's crappy warmup, this week's warmup sucked but was even more demented and efficient. A shooter - guess who? - smoked me with a clapper in the jaw/collarbone on the very first shot which he just had to take from between the hashes and the top of the rings. I was asking him nicely to back up some just as he unloaded. Part of the job as we all know but kinda stung and not the best way to get the blood flowing.

Thanks for checking it out. Input welcome.

A ton of great glove saves in there fullright!! That was an unreal skate save at 2:05! I understand your anger at the head shots in warm up. It hasn’t been bad this season but last year almost every skate/game the first warm up shot would be right between the eyes. It always makes me mad, I am just trying to get a feel for the puck. I also understand the frustration with the lack of Defence. I realize it is only shinny but at least try and make a decent play. 

1 hour ago, Imperative said:

... I realize it is only shinny but at least try and make a decent play. 

Exactly! I don't expect wingers to pick up their man and certainly the center isn't going to play a "200 foot game". I also don't mind at all when D start running around...but hey-zus marimba, dump the damn thing over our blue line. Let me catch my breath once or twice over the course of 2 hours! lol

Archived