Fullright's 2017-2018

Fullright

Great stuff. I like the double save at the end on the five hole shots while standing. It’s hard to get the legs closed for the second attempt and you did so. I’m always amazed at guys who crank high slap shots in shinny hockey. I’ll take slapshots off the wing with the group I skate out at, but I keep it low. And I’ll take maybe one a night. These guys are cranking high and hard at a meaningless skate. Dangerous.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks fellas. Scratching and clawing to hang on. Seeing the videos here forces me to try really hard. Trying to look like I still belong to some degree. 

@bunnyman666, hope you are feeling better.

@WillyGrips13, what can you do? Part of the problem is my lack of height and skaters being skaters, it seems lots of guys want to go bar down. Plus, time and space in a pick up leads to some guys thinking they'll be on NHL Network's Top Ten. Odd one was the one off my left cheek. An edge of the puck's outer ring broke off and left a small scratch the bridge of my nose. I don't think anyone purposely targets my melon. Such a shot would get a different reaction out of me. Pretty easy to tell when a shooter is trying to score vs blasting my melon off. The big man, Rob, I beat on his backhander can be scary with his shot. When he winds up and if it hits me, it usually stings some but he's pretty cool about it. He's stupid strong, very skilled and a bear I don't poke. Worst dent of the skate was Kyle lighting up my left elbow. Still banged up 6 days later.

@cwarnar, thanks for the very kind words. Not to argue with you but a true standup goalie would probably say I go down too much. The blocker is a Passau. It is downright ugly but a great piece. :)

P.S. Anyone know why bunny's name came up highlighted but not willy's and warnar's? 

Great work Joe! I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before in all the years I have been watching your videos but do you think that you catching right handed messes with shooters? I thought of it when you made that glove save early where the shot was just over your pad and you snagged it, that is often considered the perfect shot on a regular handed goalie just over the pad and under or beyond the blocker. Thinking about that you often make that save on those shots to your right. 

@Imperative, could be. Some fellas have told me that my being left handed has led them to look for a split second longer before they release. Guess they see so many righties that they may forget perhaps it's not my stick side. Meanwhile I got my ass handed to me big time low glove in the one below. Kinda of a weird night. I was excited to play because I am out the next two weeks. Also, the skate was really good with just about full benches and the skaters keeping shifts reasonable. Despite feeling pretty good about things, I gave up a lot of goals. Just one of those nights where if there was room, the puck found it or was just beyond me. Two were particularly horse feathers. Kyle banged one in off my side along the goal line and another fella beat me high glove on a shot I very poorly played. Still and all, I wasnt awful,  it will be good to take a bit of break, and the Sunday morning beat downs start soon.

Any tips welcome.

You looked good man!! Typical shinny, you get a ton of high quality shots and no defensive help. I felt like you weren’t as aggressive and set waiting for shots the times you didn’t come up with the save. The couple breakaway goals I thought you didn’t get out as high as you usually like to. 

On 3/20/2018 at 8:11 PM, Imperative said:

You looked good man!! Typical shinny, you get a ton of high quality shots and no defensive help..

Agreed - the sequence from 2:43 - 2:46 gives a new definition to the term "cycling the puck"

Goal at 4:30 - that guys got some hands!

• 3 weeks later...

@Ghostender, yep, Kyle could stick handle in a phone booth. He also has a wicked backhander and heavy shot. Nice guy too. 

After being off for about 3 wks, I was nervous and my conditioning took a step or two backwards. So, of course, I got bombed. Under the circumstances, I wasnt awful but I got gassed about the 3:30 mark of the video and paid for it being lit up for some quick goals. I got something of a second wind but didnt shut anyone down either. Overall, a good skate with some good players so I had a blast. Looking forward to the next one and the Sunday mornings start this weekend. 

Comments welcome. Thanks.

Like last time, I got bombed and didnt help myself all that much. White had some really strong players and dark didnt. I wasnt very good but the beginning is just awful. The first 3 goals, I didnt know what to do apparently and it sure looks that way. Anyway, I had a blast and Sunday morning started up two days later. 

Thanks for checking it out. Comments welcome.

In those first three goals, I think the only thing you could do is go to the "Rent-A-Defenseman" shop and pick up a couple...

3:42 – that goal was just idiotic. Multiple passes on a 3:0 and the only person on your team that skated back with any kind of conviction didn’t know what to do

4:16: 2:0 which could have easily turned into another 3:0

4:26: I bet you were thinking the same thing I was as I watched – that he couldn’t make the x-crease cut as your D was rushing him from the centre, but nope – he made it.  It may sound weird, but in these types of games I find it I play the puck carrier as if there is no D (especially when there is) it seems to help as I play the puck carrier for all the things he could do, not what options he has based on the D actually being effective. Again, difficult to explain...

In general it appeared your team had transition issues, mainly transitioning back into your zone.

• 4 weeks later...

Been out of the loop some recently between work, graduations, baptisms, and just generally being an old man. I usually dont film Sundays but being so early in the morning, I've been able to make those and get some work in on some stuff. I think those have helped with conditioning and generally trying to play a little better. Anyway, this past Friday, I got back out with that group and the skate was pretty good. Dark and white had full benches. there were two goalies, and the pace was not bad. Fun outing.

Comments and observations welcome. Thanks for checking it out.

• 5 months later...
On 3/19/2018 at 11:19 PM, Imperative said:

Great work Joe! I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before in all the years I have been watching your videos but do you think that you catching right handed messes with shooters? I thought of it when you made that glove save early where the shot was just over your pad and you snagged it, that is often considered the perfect shot on a regular handed goalie just over the pad and under or beyond the blocker. Thinking about that you often make that save on those shots to your right. 

I know that when I'm a skater, facing rightys always messes with me.  Being a left shot, I like to go low blocker, but of course, with a full right, that's where their stupid glove is!

Archived