Blade/Holder Height

Punisher Goalie

Just curious if anyone else has experimented with different blade/holder heights and can give some insight.

Since I started buying good gear for myself, I have operated on the assumption that I want the tallest blade/holder height for two reasons: 1. Because I'm only 5'8" and I want to give myself some extra height, and 2. More importantly, to give me as much attack angle help as possible for butterfly slides.

I'm currently in CCM Tacks with Step Steel Extreme. I certainly feel like the help with the attack angle makes me quicker with my sliding, but as my technique is getting better, I am starting to question reason #1. First, I'm worried that the extra 1/2" or so is making me feel unstable on T-pushes, etc. I was a pretty strong skater as a player (new to goalie now), but I'm having a very difficult time adjusting to where I can get the "crisp" movements while standing up. 

I also feel like I need to get extremely low in my stance in order to feel "set" with the tall blades and wondering if normal size blades would help me feel closer to the ice.

Anyone have any experience switching? I still have the never-sharped black steel that came with my Tacks so I'm thinking maybe I will take those out for a try soon.

Thanks in advance!

I ran regular Step on Reebok Cowlings. When I went to Vaughn cowlings (originally with Vaughn skates), the stock blades were way too short, then went with regular Step and it was okay, then went Extreme and found the sweet spot. 

It all depends on cowling/holder. If it would have been me, I would have gone to regular Step FIRST, then gone with Extreme if I found my attack angle was still lacking. For me on the Vaughn cowling, the Extreme was perfect, on the Reebok cowls, the regular Step was perfect. 

Do you go to public sessions with your tall blades? I would highly recommend doing as many public sessions with those. I have a feeling that your stock blades will be too short for you.

I can't comment on changing blades etc, but I would say that if you are playing a modern style adding a half inch to your skates probably  has never helped you with regards to your first point.

Your height in net is determined by either (a) your stance when you are up, and (b) your knee stack and CA floater thickness when you are down

6 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I ran regular Step on Reebok Cowlings. When I went to Vaughn cowlings (originally with Vaughn skates), the stock blades were way too short, then went with regular Step and it was okay, then went Extreme and found the sweet spot. 

It all depends on cowling/holder. If it would have been me, I would have gone to regular Step FIRST, then gone with Extreme if I found my attack angle was still lacking. For me on the Vaughn cowling, the Extreme was perfect, on the Reebok cowls, the regular Step was perfect. 

Do you go to public sessions with your tall blades? I would highly recommend doing as many public sessions with those. I have a feeling that your stock blades will be too short for you.

3 hours ago, Ghostender said:

I can't comment on changing blades etc, but I would say that if you are playing a modern style adding a half inch to your skates probably  has never helped you with regards to your first point.

Your height in net is determined by either (a) your stance when you are up, and (b) your knee stack and CA floater thickness when you are down

Thanks for the responses. Obviously I want to keep as much help with the attack angle as I can, but I want to feel more comfortable on my feet too.

Since I have the stock steel for my Tacks, I probably won't be able to resist at least experimenting with it.

Longer-term question will be what to do with my next pair of skates - I really want a custom fit pair of VH/True. Just not sure whether to go with 1-piece (the more neutral pitch and one-piece performance is so attractive) or 2-piece for more versatility (I can change steel, holder if I want).

My biggest reasoning is god forbid it breaks, you'll need a whole new skate.  At least if a holder breaks you can just replace that.  @Tim_TRUEHockey has stated that they've never had a problem at the NHL level so its unlikely any of us would either.  Its still a chance I wouldn't wanna take though.  I'll tag you in Tim's thread regarding the two.

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Long shot but does anyone have the One100 vertex cowling and can take a height measurement? Maybe at toe, heel, and mid-foot? Trying to decide whether to stick with the True holder or put on One100s with extreme step. Thanks!

I have that cowling, will take the mesures. Just to be sure, this?

bauer-goalie-accessories-supreme-one80-cowling-inset5.jpg

Archived