TGN Database - How do you wear your C/A + Pants?

C/A:  CCM Premier 1 - Medium (Modified arms to shorten by about 1 1/2")

Pants:  Vaughn V5 - Medium

How Do I Wear it?:  Gone back and forth between loose or tight, tucked or untucked over the years, but right now pants are worn snug at the waist with suspenders under an untucked C/A. 

Any Issues?:  Pants occasionally interfere with my pads (even with the outer knee wrap removed.) Also the untucked C/A can leave my upper ribs exposed on just the right shot from a cross ice pass.

7 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I just noticed while dressing for my last game the the rubber anchor loop which attaches the elastic to the button on the goal shorts is ripped open.  What's so good about the Monster suspenders?

Stitched Jenpro and nylon are used to attach to the button on the pants (shorts, bloomers?) so sturdier than the rubber loops. Actual suspenders are a good size gauge of shock cord with nylon sleeves.  No plastic buckles to break.

Again, nothing about them necessarily outperforms other suspenders in terms of holding up your pants, but they're sturdy and would take something pretty drastic to actually break anything on them. 

Edited by Mroy31

7 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I just noticed while dressing for my last game the the rubber anchor loop which attaches the elastic to the button on the goal shorts is ripped open.  What's so good about the Monster suspenders?

A couple things stand out for me. First, the lack of rubber on the back attachment. That always seems to be the bit that goes (and one of the reasons I went to Brown). I'm also a big fan of the way they attach at the front, allowing for quick release when getting undressed, but also not having to get your C/A arms under them which can be awkward. 

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I've never had the loop part break like this before.  Every set of suspenders I have ever used either popped the button from the shorts or just lost its elasticity over time.

That's the part that always broke for me. I had a spare set that I could hotswap out the rubber loop with.

The quick release velcro is a cool feature as well, although I don't personally use it, my suspenders aren't tight enough to make it that difficult to get my arms out. It hasn't ever come undone on its own either, it's a good amount of sturdy velcro. 

C/A:  Bauer NXG - Medium

Pants:  CCM Premier Pro - Medium

How Do I Wear it?:  Pants loose as possible, internal belt removed, held up by suspenders under the C/A. C/A untucked and sits over the top of the pants.

Any Issues?:  More an issue with the C/A itself than a setup problem  - the NXG body protection is fine and I love the how mobile it is and how snug the fit is compared to other brands, but the arm protection is utter utter garbage. Previous C/A was a P4 snr level and I can't remember getting a single stinger on the arm, first outing with the NXG I got two pretty noticeable ones and continue to get them! Seems to be two issues; 1. outside of the elbow floaters, the arm protection is solely two flat plastic and foam plates (feel like the plastic shin pads kids have for football / soccer) which just transfer all the shot velocity to the arm and 2. there's almost no side protection to the arms - unlike CCM and Vaughn arms which wrap around in a sort of semi circle, the NXG arm is just like one flat strip with a tiny bit of soft foam running down the sides. Would love to hear if other NXG owners have issues like this or whether I've just picked up a lemon!  :facepalm:

It is interesting to me to hear that. I use NXG C&A against players that can shoot realy hard and no problems with arms yet (but plastic elbow cups are bad). Can you post me photo of specific area?

Edited by mik

C/A: Vaughn V7 Pro XF Carbon "Pro Spec" (Black and sportsgold one)

Pants: Bauer - Quinnipiac pro pants from "Chewy". I honestly don't know the model. I've had them for about 5 years. I hate new pants, so I usually just buy slightly used ones to skip break-in, then wear them until they disintegrate. 

How Do I Wear It?: I'm a tucker. I tie my pants laces into the loop on the chest protector so that it is anchored inside the pants and secure feeling. I put suspenders over the chest protector and usually keep the belt semi-tight. I like it to feel contour so I know exactly what is covering where. 

Any Issues?: No major issues. Minor ones are like one side of the suspenders coming off in play every now and then, or the chest protector popping out after a desperation save or mad scramble. 

16 hours ago, Moose75 said:

C/A: Vaughn V7 Pro XF Carbon "Pro Spec" (Black and sportsgold one)

Pants: Bauer - Quinnipiac pro pants from "Chewy". I honestly don't know the model. I've had them for about 5 years. I hate new pants, so I usually just buy slightly used ones to skip break-in, then wear them until they disintegrate. 

How Do I Wear It?: I'm a tucker. I tie my pants laces into the loop on the chest protector so that it is anchored inside the pants and secure feeling. I put suspenders over the chest protector and usually keep the belt semi-tight. I like it to feel contour so I know exactly what is covering where. 

Any Issues?: No major issues. Minor ones are like one side of the suspenders coming off in play every now and then, or the chest protector popping out after a desperation save or mad scramble. 

Get a fighting strap put on. Avoids issue two and increases the level of connectedness 

16 hours ago, mik said:

It is interesting to me to hear that. I use NXG C&A against players that can shoot realy hard and no problems with arms yet (but plastic elbow cups are bad). Can you post me photo of specific area?

Sure - I've marked one of the stock photos, the yellow arrows are where it feels like its mainly plastic and not much foam, meaning all the impact is transferred to the arm. the red arrow is one of the areas on the side where i'm concerned there's little to no protection at all. so far I've only been clipped in this area, but don't look forward taking a heavy shot there!

Its a shame because I otherwise like the unit and before I bought it I saw it had a ton of good reviews..but I'll probably have to beef it up or move it on.

bauer-goalie-chest-protector-totalone-nxg-sr-inset4_1.jpg

On 9/21/2017 at 4:39 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

C/A:  Brown 2200

Pants:  Bauer Reactor 5 (90s-00s Reactor)

How Do I Wear it?:  Pants are worn, idk...normally?  They're not loose nor snugged too tight.  Pants with suspenders, c/a untucked, suspenders over the c/a.  I use a carbiner to clip the back plate of the c/a to the back loop on the pants.

Any Issues?:  None

Finally got around to installing my "fight strap" yesterday and used it last night instead of the carabiner.  Doesn't keep it quite as tight to my shorts as the carabiner but its not too much worse.

The caribiner is one of the aluminum ones you can get anywhere for $1. I buy mine at Home Depot or Lowe's. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbzZXDAcv4nQmIlUh_lXm

Hook it to the fight strap loop on the pants.

ldyq8.jpg

The back plate of the chest protector may or may not have somewhere to clip to - like the Brown unit above. At first I used just one of the two belly straps that went across the black/spine pad of my Simmons chest protector. On my latest Vaughn unit, I just sewn on a small loop of elastic at the end of the spine pad.