TGN Database - How do you wear your C/A + Pants?

Man, memory lane for sure...

02-10-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Gasman
Just out of curiousity...and making sure I get this right....

you are putting a fastex/quickclip (or whatever you like to call it!) on the back of the C/A and attaching the other end of it to the pants?

This holds the front down as well? I like the idea of it...but how well does it work?
What I do is put the clip on the loop on the back of my pants. Next, when I put my c/a on, I clip it to the chest strap on top of the spine padding. (I really need a picture)

Theroy is that the clip holds up your pants and holds down you c/a when you are bent over. I had trouble with the c/a sliding up on me and my pants sliding down when I bent over. This solves both issues.

Plus it allows more freedom in the front. I felt constricted when I tied the chest to my pants. I have been using this setup for a few years now.

I then leave the clip on my pants and use it to hang the pants up to dry.

I buy these clips at the register (they have them in a little bucket) at Home Depot for 99 cents.

capantssetup.jpg

The carabiner is the yellow loop.

Edited by MTH

Chesty: Bauer total one NXG OHL pro return

pants: Reebok 20k(with diy beef up) 

how I wear?: chesty tucked into the pants, internal belt tight with the external belt really loose to allow the chesty to stay tucked easily, chesty tied in on the front loop as well with two clips on the sides of the belly.

issues?: none so far

On 9/26/2017 at 3:41 PM, BadAngle41 said:

C/A:  CCM Premier 1 - Medium (Modified arms to shorten by about 1 1/2")

Pants:  Vaughn V5 - Medium

How Do I Wear it?:  Gone back and forth between loose or tight, tucked or untucked over the years, but right now pants are worn snug at the waist with suspenders under an untucked C/A. 

Any Issues?:  Pants occasionally interfere with my pads (even with the outer knee wrap removed.) Also the untucked C/A can leave my upper ribs exposed on just the right shot from a cross ice pass.

So I know I'm quoting myself here... but looking for some advice. Tuesday evening my C/A felt sorta loose (even for being untucked) and upon closer inspection, the bottom clip on my back had broken. It did get me thinking though, maybe this is an opportunity to go back to tucking? I have new clips being delivered today (amazon prime same day... slow clap) and can adjust my suspenders to accommodate the tuck in time for this evening's tilt. I'll tie the front of the chest to my pants through the stock loop, but I was considering throwing on a Passau style pant strap. If I do that though, do I even need suspenders? Thoughts???

Edited by BadAngle41

Here’s what I use now.  I still keep the carabiner there just in case.  The original nylon loop (the black one sticking out just to the left of the carabiner) broke a few games ago.  Lasted probably 15 years or so.  The blue nylon loops with the suspender anchors were added by Keeps, idk, maybe a year ago.  When I get a break in the schedule I’ll have the black loop fixed and go back to attaching the clip to that rather than the blue one. 

DB3A3FA7-24F3-4AEF-B47B-8BEA364B2E96.jpeg

DD2C9D6D-079C-47A1-8DDE-351AB3BD4970.jpeg

@SaveByRichter35 thanks for the post and the pictures. I decided not to mess with mojo (as i've almost been playing decent) and stay untucked... but still added a nylon loop to the back of my pants. I'll add the strap to my c/a and give it a whirl in a Tuesday night skate just to see how it feels. Not sure if untucked with a back strap really work well together or not. I'll post some pics too of how strange the buckle even breaking in the first place was. Makes me think I should start facing the puck and not let it hit my back as often (that's the only way I can think of this particular buckle breaking.) 

Also... applause for Amazon Same Day.. ordered the new buckles and had them in time to slap on before I went out the door Thursday.

Edited by BadAngle41

1 minute ago, BadAngle41 said:

@SaveByRichter35 thanks for the post and the pictures. I decided not to mess with mojo (as i've almost been playing decent) and stay untucked... but still added a nylon loop to the back of my pants. I'll add the strap to my c/a and give it a whirl in a Tuesday night skate just to see how it feels. Not sure if untucked with a back strap really work well together or not. I'll post some pics too of how strange the buckle even breaking in the first place was. Makes me think I should start facing the puck and not let it hit my back as often (that's the only way I can think of this particular buckle breaking.) 

Also... applause for Amazon Sam Day.. ordered the new buckles and had them in time to slap on before I went out the door Thursday.

I don't tuck my c/a, never have.  The buckle in the back will work just fine with an untucked c/a.  Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the arms shortened on my V6 2200 and got the shop to throw a loop on the back so i can attach the back of my chesty the back of my pants (have an old suspender attachment that I clip to.  I was running a string and carabeaners through the side elastics but the perma-loop should work much better!  I run my pants lace in the front through the loop on the front of the chesty.  No suspenders needed!

chesty.PNG

C/A: Passau Gen2 

Pants: CCM Premier R1.9 Lrg

How I Wear: Wear the interior belt of the pants tight. C/A is tucked in, with suspenders over the shoulders. Also loop in the belt of the pants to the front of the C/A, and use the back clip to attach to the back of the pants. 

Issues?: It largely works, but I find the Passau doesn't quite go down far enough (or the pants not high enough) that even with suspends and anchors at the front and back, the unit still gets untucked at the sides. Too frequently I have to re-tuck the side of the C/A back into the pants on the fly. I think I might try switching to using the front lace of the pants to tie down the Chesty, rather than using the belt (which loosens over the game). 

I'm switching to Vaughn pants.  After I had to do some minor surgery to repair my 1S pants, I decided to look at some newer stuff.  I've also been dealing with something weird where I can never get the right side of my c/a (Bauer Reactor 9000) to stay tucked.  Doesn't matter if I tighten the right side of my suspenders, or loosen the shoulder strap adjustment on the c/a to drop that side down a bit, so I've decided that my pants are just defective (cue the overseas construction reactions ;)).  This the first time I can say I've experienced a noticeable difference in quality, so I'm going back to Canadian made.

Realized that Bauer pants fit like low cut jeans or something.  I could probably wear most Vaughn pants without suspenders.  I'm going with the SLR, since it's designed to be able to tuck or untuck.  Nobody has them in XL in Canada, so placed an order at Dukes, and now we play the waiting game.  1S should last until they come in, and I'll have a fun little project to figure out why the right side keeps coming untucked.

I've worn my chesties in and out over the years and I STILL can't find the sweet spot.

I've worn a JB502 and a Mckenney 755 and a Pro return H5. For pants I've worn D&R Panta G, Tackla, Simmons 994 and for the longest time now Mckenney. I have tried a Passau first gen. and Mckenney 890 first gen. some years back but they were the wrong size for me. Also got my hands on some Halak pro return Brian's pants but found them too big.

I'm now wearing an Mckenney 870 c/a in Lg and Mckenney pants in Xl. I tuck in and lace the front loop down to the pants, suspenders over and past the wings sitting on the shoulders. The fact that the side flaps sometimes pop out and catch on my pants and won't pop back in drives me nuts. I did try wearing without suspenders but the pants felt like they were falling off. Wearing the c/a out make it bubble out like a mass beer keg taking away from my down vision.

I'm hoping to find something that feels right in the near future before it starts messing with my mind too much.

Edited by RichMan

C/A: Passau

Pants: Vaughn Ventus VT90

How do I wear it? Pants tight, suspenders, C/A tucked with pant laces through c/a loop. 

Any issues? Right rib pad comes out of pants from time to time.  Not much else. 

Edited by Ken35

C/A: Passau Gen 1, some mods - extra foam pads inserted under floaters, extra shoulder caps from Brian's Alite C/A laced in, secondary elbow caps laced in (custom made from Passau)

Pants: CCM Blackhawks pro returns, LG

How I Wear: C/A strapped snugly, suspenders, pants loose. Laces tied to front loop and clip through back loop, for that super-connected feeling.

Issues?: I found I was really bashing my elbows off the ice at times, but @GoalieTimmy33 and the Passau crew made me up some elbow caps - one of the main reasons why Passau is amazing. Every now and then the extra rib protection will ride up over the side of the pants, but it's a quick fix.

Edited by Murray

• 1 month later...

Update on mine since I ditched the NXG chest:

C/A: Brians G-netik 2

Pants: CCM Premier Pro

How I Wear: Pants as loose as possible with internal belt removed, suspenders under the C/A , moved the rear suspender attachment to inside the pants to allow for jersey tucking - gives me a bit more breathe-ability and, not being very tall, I hate having massive jerseys hanging round my ass! As Brians C/A's have that unique belly flap, I half tuck the C/A - sides are tucked into the pants and the belly flap sits outside of the pants in between the front suspender points. 

Issues?: i've been a 'suspenders under C/A' guy for ages but gave the 'over the C/A' way a go when I got the Brians, but I found out I'm not a fan of the feeling of having my C/A compressed down by suspenders and the suspenders riding around on the neck bib etc. Thankfully the hinged belly pad allows for the C/A to be mostly tucked even whilst running the suspenders underneath (similar to how Lundqvist has slits in his C/A to allow his suspenders to come up). Only other issues I'd mention are that the high sides of the G-netik chest take a bit of getting used to, but no stingers so far!

On 2017-09-22 at 10:00 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone else use the Monster suspenders, do they really make any noticeable difference? I use the Brown suspenders 

To be honest, I think the monster ones are just over hyped, over complicated, and over priced?I mean they’re flippin suspenders....

C/A: Bauer total one NXG, large (belly flap and neck flap thing cut out)

Pants: Reebok 20k int. Large (beefed up) 

How I wear: I wear my chest tucked, I made some loops on the bottom that two little straps on the inside of the pants loop through, the internal belt on the pants are tight, and the external belt goes through the loop on the outside of the chesty(it’s low on the NXG) the chest is pretty loose, which I like(I don’t really have the option cause it’s a super tight as possible, I’m a skinny ass 16 year old but my Dutch decent makes me a knuckle dragger so I need the arm length?)

Issues: none, I love it

On 11/13/2017 at 11:38 AM, daffy said:

C/A: Vaugh Vision

Pants: McKenney 870 pro

I wear the c/a untucked. Suspenders under c/a. On the inside on the belly pad I have a loop added. Run the pant belt through it to pull it down. Simple as that.

That's my next move when I buy new gear. I figure it will keep things in place while still allowing sufficient movement and rotation.

12 hours ago, Scott said:

To be honest, I think the monster ones are just over hyped, over complicated, and over priced?I mean they’re flippin suspenders....

I agree with the issues with some of the Monster gear and those have been discussed at length on several outlets, however I find their suspenders very useful. If your CA or if you MOD your CA to have the two slits between the bottom abdominal pad and the chest pad IE CCM Premier you can get the suspender attachments in the slit then attach the suspenders. Its similar to the fit-clip system reebok/ccm has offered. It gives the best of both worlds of keeping the pants up/CA down, but not having to undo/redo the suspenders onto the front area. 

I use to be a tuck guy, however with the monster suspenders I was able to un-tuck, I feel looser and I feel more comfortable rotating/unlocking arms and chest in post save tracking

On 12/21/2017 at 9:03 AM, CalValce said:

I agree with the issues with some of the Monster gear and those have been discussed at length on several outlets, however I find their suspenders very useful. If your CA or if you MOD your CA to have the two slits between the bottom abdominal pad and the chest pad IE CCM Premier you can get the suspender attachments in the slit then attach the suspenders. Its similar to the fit-clip system reebok/ccm has offered. It gives the best of both worlds of keeping the pants up/CA down, but not having to undo/redo the suspenders onto the front area. 

I use to be a tuck guy, however with the monster suspenders I was able to un-tuck, I feel looser and I feel more comfortable rotating/unlocking arms and chest in post save tracking

I wear regular old plain Jane A&R elastic suspenders and I am able to do exactly what is bolded without having to disconnect anything.