Toe/Boot Straps

cwarnar

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great thread.  I love seeing what everyone is doing for their skate lace replacements.  I have been making different versions for about a year, and here is a pic of the current version. Mine are a combination of 1" tubular webbing and 1" plain webbing.  I also have used .5" tubular webbing as a protective sheath around the elastic.

-steve 

IMG_6432.jpg

On 9/14/2017 at 9:35 AM, cwarnar said:

Tossed my new demo adjustable shock cord toe straps on the RGT's. Curious to see how they hold up vs Velcro 

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

Just a quick update... shock cord based stuff doesn't integrate well with the abbreviated Warrior toe system.  I'm using the ARS toe strap now.  First skate with them tomorrow night

4 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Just a quick update... shock cord based stuff doesn't integrate well with the abbreviated Warrior toe system.  I'm using the ARS toe strap now.  First skate with them tomorrow night

They'll feel tight. They don't loosen up, but my adjustment period from 1" toe tie on a sliding toe bridge to the ARS took some time.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Nice, pretty simply design. I am still shocked that no one is doing round elastic at retail 

Not quite retail as it is all custom order, but my Keneskys have stock bungie for the toe attachment.  I have been told this set up is exclusive to them.

image.png.53db67c44fc250aa90fcf024e6a6d231.png

On 11/15/2017 at 4:29 AM, bunnyman666 said:

Jeff claims it’s military grade. Of course I should take that with a grain of salt, eh?

I'm not sure what makes it so "military grade".  I purchased some 3/16" cord from a camping & gear repair store local here in Edmonton, and it's pretty much the same stuff... at 20cents a foot. I've actually switched to using 1/4" cord from the same place and after a year of skating 3-5x a week there's still almost no wear on them.... so i guess it's all "mil spec". 

@cwarnar - you're not using the Canadian Tire cords are you still? I've had bad luck with those durability wise... 

7 hours ago, Kayen said:

I'm not sure what makes it so "military grade".  I purchased some 3/16" cord from a camping & gear repair store local here in Edmonton, and it's pretty much the same stuff... at 20cents a foot. I've actually switched to using 1/4" cord from the same place and after a year of skating 3-5x a week there's still almost no wear on them.... so i guess it's all "mil spec". 

@cwarnar - you're not using the Canadian Tire cords are you still? I've had bad luck with those durability wise... 

Mil Spec and Military Grade and anything of the like is mostly just marketing gimmicks.  Aside from some weapons there isn't all that much stuff that I ever came across that was any different from the civilian version of the same object.

7 hours ago, Vaughnlife79 said:

Check out monster hockey,they have Hal straps,universal for any pad,best on the market

Debatable...

13 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Mil Spec and Military Grade and anything of the like is mostly just marketing gimmicks.  Aside from some weapons there isn't all that much stuff that I ever came across that was any different from the civilian version of the same object.

Debatable...

That was what I was wondering...

I figured that if it were true “military” spec, that it would not even be available to civilians.

LOL I like Monster’s stuff, but am not really keen on their customer service.

12 hours ago, Kayen said:

No. I’ve switched to the ARS straps for my RGT’s. I think with the lack of a traditional toe bridge on the Warrior pads I have to go longer than my usual 8” of shock. 

I’m super happy with the ARS system and likely won’t move back to shock cord based toe strap

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

Im replacing my boot straps with  some 1/4" bungee shock cords this weekend.  Grabbed all the material from the aforementioned @Kayen alluded to above along with a pile of other mod material for $12 cdn at lunch.  I'll post pics when I'm done!

Make sure to punch bigger holes. Totem is a great place for materials. I'm retrofitting a friend's XLT pads with a bunch of bungee cords, since it seemed to be the cheapest route. 

32 minutes ago, Kayen said:

Make sure to punch bigger holes. Totem is a great place for materials. I'm retrofitting a friend's XLT pads with a bunch of bungee cords, since it seemed to be the cheapest route. 

I'm actually going to sew replace the buckle and strap with 2 of these 1" triangle rings and some nylon to the pads and some shock cord clips on the cord itself..

Image result for plastic triangle ring

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my variation on the toe straps.  I used a swivel hook on both ends.  Elastic is covered in a skate lace.  I cut it to length of it fully stretched.  I used shrink wrap to secure the lace from moving.  Strap is placed on skate before putting on and secured with link on the toe bridge.

IMG_20180123_220704.jpg

sketch-1516898414252.png

sketch-1516898463697.png

Archived