Toe/Boot Straps

cwarnar

With regard to the wear issue, I use pretty thin shock cord but also stole the idea that the original “Flex Toes” used, namely a sheath over the inside cord (included image). That protects the cord at the point where the cord is pinched between the cowling and the ice which is probably the major wear point. I have replaced the sheaths a couple of times, but am still on the same cord from ~ 3.5 – 4 seasons ago

Note – I am now working on a modified version using the Velcro strap instead of clips, but with a mod to allow easy replacement of the shock cord (as opposed to having to use a seam ripper).

Toe Tie.JPG

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Sr:

I make the sheaths myself using (I think it's called ) rip-stop nylon. I made a cardboard template from the first set I made so now I can chalk out and sew up a new pair in about 10 minutes. I've experimented with a couple of different types of material but the rip-stop has been the most durable so far

HIH!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is meant to be a thread for all strap mods or if this is more for cwarner's.  Cwarner, if you'd prefer to keep this about your stuff let me know and I'll delete this post and make a new thread.  

So I played 2 games in my pro laces and love them so far.  I love how they keep the pad nice and tight to the skate and still allow the flexibility of toe ties with slack.  I noticed absolutely no difference in mobility of my foot all while eliminating the sloppiness of the pad from having so much slack in the toe ties.  I played the second game without a boot strap.  Something I have been wanting to do for a while but was unable with toe ties.  Between no boot straps and the slack in the toe ties, the pads were just way too crazy.  The Pro Laces made it possible for me to comfortably remove the boot straps from the equation and still have the pad sit nice and snug.  

My one negative about the Pro Laces is when I was removing my pads after the second game I noticed that all four bolts were backing out of their respective fasteners.  Two were very close to backing out completely.  Has anyone experienced this with Pro Laces?  I figured I would just put some loctite on them to prevent that from happening again.  This is where I really prefer the design of the Monster HAL straps and cwarner's straps.

1 minute ago, Srsieve said:

Loctite should work, or even a drop of super-glue.   I had to do the same with my toe-bridge, as it kept wanting to back out as well. 

I never have that problem with the factory Vaughn fasteners on the bridge to pad connection.  But so far two games for the bridge to PL, meh.

SBR... I'm a gear nut, and the last thing I want is this thread to be about just me.  It's great to see what other guys are up to and how we can call help each other.

Toss some Loctite in those screws... Weird that they would be backing out.  As I mentioned previously, the additional hardware seems to be only downside to Pro Laces.

9 hours ago, cwarnar said:

SBR... I'm a gear nut, and the last thing I want is this thread to be about just me.  It's great to see what other guys are up to and how we can call help each other.

Toss some Loctite in those screws... Weird that they would be backing out.  As I mentioned previously, the additional hardware seems to be only downside to Pro Laces.

Ok cool, I just didn't wanna step on your toes that's all.  Agreed that seems to be the only downside thus far.  That's where I prefer the design of Monster HAL straps but I will not bother with that company.  Yours, however, seem to be the best way to go in my opinion.  Right through the bridge itself.

Further to my post near the top of this page – the image below shows the latest incarnation of my toe ties. I can remove and replace the shock cord in 5 minutes or less if need be and no extra toe bridge is required. (Yeah they are V2s - I really need to do something about that).

The cord is quite short as I presently only go behind the front skate post (throwback to the old leather toe ties I guess) and after sticking the two Velcro tabs together they slip away neatly under the toe of the cowling.

I have used them for a couple of game and they have worked well. I may try switching out the shock cord to a longer set that can go to the second post and then over the arch, but right now I am not going to fix what ain't broke.

IMG_20170316_070731115.jpg

On 3/16/2017 at 11:33 AM, Ghostender said:

Further to my post near the top of this page – the image below shows the latest incarnation of my toe ties. I can remove and replace the shock cord in 5 minutes or less if need be and no extra toe bridge is required. (Yeah they are V2s - I really need to do something about that).

The cord is quite short as I presently only go behind the front skate post (throwback to the old leather toe ties I guess) and after sticking the two Velcro tabs together they slip away neatly under the toe of the cowling.

I have used them for a couple of game and they have worked well. I may try switching out the shock cord to a longer set that can go to the second post and then over the arch, but right now I am not going to fix what ain't broke.

Looks like you need a new toe bridge.  Nice work nonetheless!

On 2/16/2017 at 7:58 PM, cwarnar said:

I've been toying with another closure option other than the hook and loop Velcro. I've thought about using 2 plastic hooks (see attached pic)

The only issues is foresee is breakage or not sitting right on the skate or the bottom of the pad

5A9E6D1D-2E38-480C-BB7C-8D0E9B0953AA-2449-000001803690C73C_tmp.png

This is exactly what I use.  Works perfectly.  I just connect the two clips together on top of my boot and have never had an issue.  I ordered 1/8" military grade shock cord and the clips off Amazon for $12 total and was able to make 3 sets at 24" each.  I keep a spare set in my bag and sold the other set to another goalie for $10.  I still have enough left over to make one more, so I would actually have 3 spare pieces or possibly experiment with using the 3rd piece to connect my c/a to my pants or something like that.

3 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

This is exactly what I use.  Works perfectly.  I just connect the two clips together on top of my boot and have never had an issue.  I ordered 1/8" military grade shock cord and the clips off Amazon for $12 total and was able to make 3 sets at 24" each.  I keep a spare set in my bag and sold the other set to another goalie for $10.  I still have enough left over to make one more, so I would actually have 3 spare pieces or possibly experiment with using the 3rd piece to connect my c/a to my pants or something like that.

My next version I might try this instead of the double hooks

images.jpeg

On 3/17/2017 at 12:57 PM, cwarnar said:

My next version I might try this instead of the double hooks

I wanted to use the terminals but couldn't find them, plus I wasn't sure if I was going to want to clip both ends to my laces.  I never thought of velcro.

On 2017-03-17 at 5:25 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I have a set of V4s I am trying to sell if you're interested.  

SBR - sorry - I guess I missed this.

Thanks, but if/when I buy another set of leg pads, I am pretty sure they will be my last, so I will probably go semi-custom.

Having said that, I am betting yours would be too big. At last calculation I am looking at a 31+1 or 2 (yeah, I still need the step stool to reach the cookie jar).

Thanks just the same

Just now, Ghostender said:

SBR - sorry - I guess I missed this.

Thanks, but if/when I buy another set of leg pads, I am pretty sure they will be my last, so I will probably go semi-custom

Having said that, I am betting yours would be too big. At last calculation I am looking at a 31+1 or 2 (yeah, I still need the step stool to steal cookies)

Thanks just the same

Actually you're one of the few people they would probably fit well.  The're a straight 33" pad, no plus on the thigh rise.  No worries though, enjoy!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2017 at 4:58 PM, cwarnar said:

I've been toying with another closure option other than the hook and loop Velcro. I've thought about using 2 plastic hooks (see attached pic)

The only issues is foresee is breakage or not sitting right on the skate or the bottom of the pad

5A9E6D1D-2E38-480C-BB7C-8D0E9B0953AA-2449-000001803690C73C_tmp.png

I went to mountain equipment co open and purchased the shock cord for 1.20 per metre. I bought the clips shown above for a buck. I have been using this system now for two seasons with no issue.

Archived