The Mask Thread

I guess I will get it going.  This mask is, wow, almost 5 years old already.  This is a copy of the first post I made on GSBB when I received finished pictures.

Its a Pro's Choice Vapor painted by Ron Slater and as you can tell it is based off of the mask of the legend himself, Mike Richter, but with a bit of a personal touch to it. As I describe what each part means it will really bring the whole story together and show how each piece of art relates to each other. I hope you guys appreciate it as much as I cherish it...

1sgpw2.jpg

This side is a tribute to the men and women who lost their lives on 9/11. On the left is the famous picture of 3 firefighters raising a flag at Ground Zero. This picture is often compared to the famous WWII picture of the Marines and Navy Corpsman raising the flag on Iwo Jima, Japan.

Next to that is obviously the twin towers. 

ape2rn.jpg

This side is a tribute to my time and love for the Marine Corps. It features the flag raising on Mount Suribachi, Iwo Jima, Japan from WWII. It is also the scene depicted in the Marine War Memorial.

Next to that is two Warrior Memorials. When a Marine is killed in combat, it is a memorial constructed to honor the sacrifice he made. It is made up of a kevlar helmet perched on top of an M-16 rifle standing behind a pair of combat boots. Two Marines from my company were killed at the World Trade Center on 9/11. Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of meeting these brave men but the Marines who did know them do a great job of keeping their memories alive and passing stories of their heroism to the Marines who have joined the company since their passing.

The chin features a yellow ribbon which is for support of our Armed Forces.

11i3ity.jpg

The back plate shows one of my favorite quotes. It is an excerpt from a speech President Bush gave after 9/11 prior to our invasion of Afghanistan.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yes, custom molded.  

Nice 

Pro's Choice was never really of interest to me until the last year or so. Lately, I really want one, haha

unfortunately, I don't think I'd ever be able to afford or justify one at this stage in the game 

On 2/24/2017 at 9:09 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Nice 

Pro's Choice was never really of interest to me until the last year or so. Lately, I really want one, haha

unfortunately, I don't think I'd ever be able to afford or justify one at this stage in the game 

You'd be surprised.  Dom is a really cool guy, willing to work with a customer as much as he can.  Give it a shot!

• 1 month later...

I guess its time to make the jump over to here as well. I posted this already on GSBB but I might as well migrate over here. I am not a Facebook user so it is nice to see this forum gaining steam. 

Mask is a 961 clone. 

Paint was started earlier in the season when my team got new jerseys... but got put on hold when a tree fell on our house in the new year... then my wife had a baby the next week :) Things are settling down so I wrapped it up in time for playoffs. 

I'm guessing this thread is handling "Show off you mask" as well as general mask discussion duties? SBR?

IMG_0643.JPG

• Like 3

On 3/31/2017 at 2:40 PM, craig said:

I guess its time to make the jump over to here as well. I posted this already on GSBB but I might as well migrate over here. I am not a Facebook user so it is nice to see this forum gaining steam. 

Mask is a 961 clone. 

Paint was started earlier in the season when my team got new jerseys... but got put on hold when a tree fell on our house in the new year... then my wife had a baby the next week :) Things are settling down so I wrapped it up in time for playoffs. 

I'm guessing this thread is handling "Show off you mask" as well as general mask discussion duties? SBR?

Thanks for migrating 

Mask looks sharp. Do you have matching pads for this jersey?

10 hours ago, craig said:

Ha. I wish. I have all black gear. Sherwood T95s and Vaughan Ventus gloves. 

BTW the site is great on mobile too. 

Yup! It's a shame no one from GSBB would get back to me. I would have loved to buy that place and give it the proper facelift 

On 3/31/2017 at 2:40 PM, craig said:

Mask is a 961 clone. 

961 clone, who made it?  Paint is perfect with those jerseys.  I mentioned this in response to your GSBB post as well but those are some sick fucking jerseys man.  A team in my league has them but they didn't seem to come out as nice as yours.  Theirs looks a lot more cheap, yours looks like better quality.

Yes this thread is for any and all discussion and pictures of masks of all mask builders.

On 3/31/2017 at 10:08 PM, craig said:

Ha. I wish. I have all black gear. Sherwood T95s and Vaughan Ventus gloves. 

BTW the site is great on mobile too. 

I'm sure the black gear looks perfect with those jerseys.  If you haven't already, post up some pictures in the action thread if you have some.  If not just post your gear in the gear thread!

On 4/1/2017 at 8:16 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Yup! It's a shame no one from GSBB would get back to me. I would have loved to buy that place and give it the proper facelift 

I have to go back and look in the GSBB facebook group and find the person who said he was in contact with the GSBB owner.  He had an actual back and forth conversation with the owners regarding their plans to not let the website just die.  That way he can put you in contact with the owners.  Are you part of that group?

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

961 clone, who made it?  Paint is perfect with those jerseys.  I mentioned this in response to your GSBB post as well but those are some sick fucking jerseys man.  A team in my league has them but they didn't seem to come out as nice as yours.  Theirs looks a lot more cheap, yours looks like better quality.

Yes this thread is for any and all discussion and pictures of masks of all mask builders.

I'm sure the black gear looks perfect with those jerseys.  If you haven't already, post up some pictures in the action thread if you have some.  If not just post your gear in the gear thread!

I have to go back and look in the GSBB facebook group and find the person who said he was in contact with the GSBB owner.  He had an actual back and forth conversation with the owners regarding their plans to not let the website just die.  That way he can put you in contact with the owners.  Are you part of that group?

If you can get me contact information, that'd be great. I'm sure there's a way to merge them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

First post on here, just wanted to share that i just ordered a new Rey mask in carbon/kevlar, and with a custom paintjob. 

So I would just like to say that i'm tottaly stoked for receiving the mask, delivery will be 3-4 weeks.

Specs:  made of carbon and kevlar - really looking forward to seeing the quality of it as i have never encountered a Rey Mask before. 

Design: inspered by the jersey attached, so that the russian crest will be on the backplate, and the twoheaded eagle will be on the top of the mask spreading down to the ear area, aswell as the feathers at the neck of the jersey will be show down on the jaw area and the "russian writing" will be on the front end of the mask.Russia-NT-Hockey-Jersey-04_hd_1600.thumb.jpg.c9871c34d8a3a8463b1b0dd8dd6ff2c2.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing the result, the ordering process was amazing dealing with Pavla talking about sizes, extra padding etc. 

The price for this mask all-in with paintjob 400 € (115€ of the 400 are for the paint job) which is an amazing price. 

I'm really stoked to have found a european producer, now that i have been looking at all the amazing masks you guys are having done over in Canada/USA.

Thanks for reading! will also update with pictures once i receive it.

Attached is also a picture of the "generic" paintjob.

small_09_CK_Swiss_SenM.jpg.64968250b4f556a76e3f0da90818f44d.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadsM said:

Oh lord Hills! I'm envying you, is that jersey also goaliecut? - been searching all over for it.

Oh and hi Fullright! Really used to enjoy your videos from the goaliecrease :-) 

It is, but I had it custom made for myself and didn't purchase it from anywhere.

11 hours ago, Hills said:

It is, but I had it custom made for myself and didn't purchase it from anywhere.

Ah alright! It's really nice though, may I ask how much you paid for it? 

Going to have pads done with that design/theme later on in the year, so hoping to get a matching jersey as well.