The Mask Thread

2 hours ago, Netnewbie said:

I found a ccm 7000 sr mask of Kijiji near me.  Guy said he had it for about a year and not playing net anymore.  So many choices and selection out there thought I'd ask if it's worth picking up for 150?  

No that does not look like a good price. If you just google “CCM 7000 mask” you’ll see a bunch of retailers and eBay sellers selling it new for less. 

12 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

No that does not look like a good price. If you just google “CCM 7000 mask” you’ll see a bunch of retailers and eBay sellers selling it new for less. 

Ok thought I was just me thanks.  What about the heet itself, any info?

17 minutes ago, Netnewbie said:

Ok thought I was just me thanks.  What about the heet itself, any info?

Yeah I actually own one. It was the first one I bought when I started playing in net last year. It fit me really well and it’s very light, but (and this is the part I didn’t find out about until I got educated on goalie gear on sites like this) it’s made of plastic/polycarbonate, which is really not that protective. Might be ok for really low level hockey or ball hockey but I believe it’s in the category of masks known as “widowmakers”. If you are anywhere above absolutely beginner level hockey I’d suggest trying to spend more to get a more protective mask. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Netnewbie said:

Thanks punisher goalie.  My next question would be, is there such thing as a good entry level helmet that is protective but yet not going to break the bank.  Or is like the unicorn and doesn't exist...

The short answer is no. I mean, you don't need to spend $900+ and get the best mask on the market.

I know not everyone has the money to spend, but I'v said so in other threads and that is that the number one piece of equipment you NEVER cheap out on is your mask. Spend the $500-600 and get a decent mask.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Netnewbie said:

Thanks punisher goalie.  My next question would be, is there such thing as a good entry level helmet that is protective but yet not going to break the bank.  Or is like the unicorn and doesn't exist...

Do yourself a favor and contact Michel at Protechsport. He offers custom foamed masks made with high quality resin and fibers starting around the same price as the big boys charge for the lexan/poly models. The trade off is wait time and having to send in a head mold. Well worth it in my opinion. 

13 hours ago, Netnewbie said:

Check out Sportmask. They are great masks and some might be in your price range. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

The short answer is no. I mean, you don't need to spend $900+ and get the best mask on the market.

I know not everyone has the money to spend, but I'v said so in other threads and that is that the number one piece of equipment you NEVER cheap out on is your mask. Spend the $500-600 and get a decent mask.

Good point I will start saving my allowance!

1 hour ago, craig said:

Do yourself a favor and contact Michel at Protechsport. He offers custom foamed masks made with high quality resin and fibers starting around the same price as the big boys charge for the lexan/poly models. The trade off is wait time and having to send in a head mold. Well worth it in my opinion. 

Thanks I will check it out!

On 8/25/2017 at 8:18 PM, Doobiesnax said:

Update!   Got my mask back from the hydro dippers.  Turned out pretty sweet for $100.   I'll post some more pics when the it's all put back together with the new Maltese gel.

IMG_1617.JPG

Hey @Doobiesnax, any update on how this is holding up?   I'm debating between a DIY partial wrap from Outer Layer Skins and looking into hydrodipping.

10 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Hey @Doobiesnax, any update on how this is holding up?   I'm debating between a DIY partial wrap from Outer Layer Skins and looking into hydrodipping.

Doobie - where did you get your hydrodipping done? 

Very nice looking job - will it stand up to shots to the mask or you have to get a clear coat?

look forward to seeing the final product!

5 hours ago, Big2 said:

Doobie - where did you get your hydrodipping done? 

Very nice looking job - will it stand up to shots to the mask or you have to get a clear coat?

look forward to seeing the final product!

A local shop here in Edmonton , are your in e-town?  It stood up to shots pretty well.  I didn’t notice any weird wear or anything when I wore it.  I believe the sprayed it with a clear coat pose dip. 

5 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

If you are doing just a single pattern I’d recommend hydro dipping.  You could probably pull off some cool designs with a dip wrap combo though.