The Mask Thread

1 hour ago, Znowleopard said:

I was looking at RXS masks (just dreaming, they are way out of my budget), and saw they have some a new blue foam that they use, it looks interesting, i might try to get hold of some.

https://www.rxs-goaliemasks.ch/de/news/5-blue-gel-innenpolster/

innenpolster-blue-gel.jpg__500x500_q95_crop-1_subsampling-2.jpg.ec201704d93e9109ef381b5cb06ef840.jpg

Looks like Shocktec or something similar.  I clicked the link and saw how they put additional sweatbands on the sides.  I don't know why I never thought of that, but I always get sweat going into my ears and it drives me nuts.

6 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

Looks like Shocktec or something similar.  I clicked the link and saw how they put additional sweatbands on the sides.  I don't know why I never thought of that, but I always get sweat going into my ears and it drives me nuts.

i actually got some shocktec samples that i will be doing some tests, on unfortunately they only sell their HD foam now, and i find it to hard for mask use

4 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

i actually got some shocktec samples that i will be doing some tests, on unfortunately they only sell their HD foam now, and i find it to hard for mask use

You couldn't get the air2gel?  It's firm, but i wouldn't call it hard, certainly not as hard as VN foam I've had in the past.  But the point of a lot of the research behind Shocktec is that a foam that will not compress completely is the most protective.  I lot of the softer and comfort foams I've seen can be compressed completely between 2 fingers.  That means that an impact can transfer to the head much easier or at least, that's the theory as I understand it.

3 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

You couldn't get the air2gel?  It's firm, but i wouldn't call it hard, certainly not as hard as VN foam I've had in the past.  But the point of a lot of the research behind Shocktec is that a foam that will not compress completely is the most protective.  I lot of the softer and comfort foams I've seen can be compressed completely between 2 fingers.  That means that an impact can transfer to the head much easier or at least, that's the theory as I understand it.

Yeah i got a sample of air2gel, compered to the tan foam i have in my mask now (rubatex i think its called) its pretty firm, the way you reduce impact force is you increase the time of deceleration, so the longer it takes for the puck to decelerate the better. Im doing some tests at the moment on different foams, so i will find out soon how good the shocktec is

15 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

Yeah i got a sample of air2gel, compered to the tan foam i have in my mask now (rubatex i think its called) its pretty firm, the way you reduce impact force is you increase the time of deceleration, so the longer it takes for the puck to decelerate the better. Im doing some tests at the moment on different foams, so i will find out soon how good the shocktec is

I'm super interested to see what you find out. Almost all other protective equipment have had upgrades over the last 25 years, so why not mask foam (for the most part)?

• Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 6:04 AM, jayluv54 said:

That's where I like what's in the Bauer NME so much. Theres the normal foams in there, but then there's low density gel pads for comfort. If I could get a mask lined with maltese (for impact absorption) with some of the little gel pads (for comfort) I'd be in heaven. The pads are actually ULTRAGEL which is easy enough to find online, but not in smaller sizes. 

54 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

That's where I like what's in the Bauer NME so much. Theres the normal foams in there, but then there's low density gel pads for comfort. If I could get a mask lined with maltese (for impact absorption) with some of the little gel pads (for comfort) I'd be in heaven. The pads are actually ULTRAGEL which is easy enough to find online, but not in smaller sizes. 

There's this...I saw this yesterday and was thinking of getting some of the 2.5" discs.  I have to re-pad an X8 I'm refurbishing and this over some Shocktec or even EVA would be nice...and fairly cheap.

https://www.onlygel.com/collections/protective-gel-and-padding/products/retach-ultrahook-backed-gel-disc-kit

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I did a search but couldn't really find anything

I have those Shamwow sweatbands, I've had them forever.

I find them too thick, any recommendations for thinner ones? I know Monster has a nice one, but I am looking at Canadian first due to the exchange etc.

3 minutes ago, havok said:

I find them too thick, any recommendations for thinner ones? I know Monster has a nice one, but I am looking at Canadian first due to the exchange etc.

Best sweatbands by far are the Bauer Profile/XPM ones with the 37.5: https://goalie.purehockey.com/product.aspx?itm_id=25502&div_id=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7iE8d_V2wIVC16GCh3p0w1wEAQYAyABEgL-WPD_BwE

Cheap, super-absorbent, cool, and dry quickly.

33 minutes ago, havok said:

+1 to @Punisher Goalie for the 37.5 sweatbands, I got mine from: https://cyclonetaylor.com/goalie/accessories/mask-accessories/bauer-rp-profile-xpm-37-5-sweatband.html

It seemed like most other online shops were shipping from the US and charged twice as much for shipping than the sweatbands cost.  Emailed the guys at Cyclone Taylor and they Purolatored them across the country so quickly that I got them the same day they gave me my shipping confirmation :)

Edited by Mroy31
I don't know why it's not making a hyperlink

1 minute ago, Mroy31 said:

+1 to @Punisher Goalie for the 37.5 sweatbands, I got mine from: https://cyclonetaylor.com/goalie/accessories/mask-accessories/bauer-rp-profile-xpm-37-5-sweatband.html

It seemed like most other online shops were shipping from the US and charged twice as much for shipping than the sweatbands cost.  Emailed the guys at Cyclone Taylor and they Purolatored them across the country so quickly that I got them the same day they gave me my shipping confirmation :)

I checked them out and it's gonna cost 15$+ to ship from there!

39 minutes ago, havok said:

Jim from Shamwow now makes 3 thicknesses of sweatbands.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...